Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-01-19, 07:25 PM

From what I've read so far the original Vega 64 has
Stream Processors: 4096
Compute Units: 64

Vega VII has
Stream Processors: 3840
Compute Units: 60

It would be great if in some far out crazy world they pulled an Nvidia style move with a Vega VII + or something to beat a RTX 2080ti.

Anyway it's great to see them bringing some competition and such a powerful card to market for us all and I cannot wait for the reviews.

OLD PC: i5 3570K | MSI Z77 MPower | Mushkin Ridgeback 2x4GB | Corsair H100i | XFI HD 7990 6GB | Corsair AX850 | CM Storm Stryker
Old 09-01-19, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
"performance gains of 25-45%"
"25% more performance at the same power"

It's going to burn your house down.
25% better performance at same power is regarding 7nm over 14nm, not including any performance/efficiency gains from architectural improvements. VegaII was already confirmed as having an expanded instruction set over Vega1, thoug mostly for AI/ML purposes, and the rumors of an 8GB card were just speculations rather than anything from an industry source, personally I don't believe an 8GB card is even possible, given we already know VegaII uses 4 HBM2 banks and a correspondingly wider bus width to achieve that memory bandwidth rather than the two of Vega1.

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
[Note, it's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]
Old 09-01-19, 08:54 PM
OC3D Crew

They have been really smart about this. 16gb of HBM2, lets call it on par with the 2080 in non RT scenarios and a good release price. If they decide to refresh this in a year and add more CU's or better power management or both they will be able to release a competitive product against almost anything that comes out in the near future. I bet they have good margins on these as well so will be able to bring the price down after Nvidia do the same. Well played first release in a while that i haven't seen as a bigger negative than positive
Old 09-01-19, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonking View Post
They have been really smart about this. 16gb of HBM2, lets call it on par with the 2080 in non RT scenarios and a good release price. If they decide to refresh this in a year and add more CU's or better power management or both they will be able to release a competitive product against almost anything that comes out in the near future. I bet they have good margins on these as well so will be able to bring the price down after Nvidia do the same. Well played first release in a while that i haven't seen as a bigger negative than positive
I too am glad that they're learning. It's tough for newbies who've been in this industry for such a short period of time, lol.

Or if I'm being serious, they shouldn't have allowed themselves to get so outplayed and outmatched by Nvidia in the first place.
Old 09-01-19, 09:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Anyone that perhaps knows if and then even perhaps when, ASUS might launch their Strix version of Radeon 7?...
Old 09-01-19, 10:06 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
I too am glad that they're learning. It's tough for newbies who've been in this industry for such a short period of time, lol.

Or if I'm being serious, they shouldn't have allowed themselves to get so outplayed and outmatched by Nvidia in the first place.
Not entirely a fair argument. AMD was competing in 2 markets and had to split R&D and they had a Fab to run. Extremely expensive. They were at times ahead of both but eventually running into cash issues they had to sell the Fab(now GloFo). It helped and they released the 5xxx series that was better than Nvidia but eventually running into cash issues again they fell behind. They now have caught up if not surpassed Intel very quickly, they are now going to be able to start again in the GPU space.

Also remember while AMD had to split money into consumer markets, they also had to still spend money in other markets like HPC, Server, etc which meant splitting money into so many markets if affected the R&D.
Old 09-01-19, 10:23 PM
OC3D Elite

I like it, but I'm a bit disappointed with the price. I would have really preferred AMD to take a harder 'shot across the bow' at Nvidia that way, but I understand why they didn't. Competition is good, even if we still overpay through the nose.

Old 09-01-19, 10:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I like it, but I'm a bit disappointed with the price. I would have really preferred AMD to take a harder 'shot across the bow' at Nvidia that way, but I understand why they didn't. Competition is good, even if we still overpay through the nose.
16gb HBM2 will have a lot to do with that, plus the triple fan alu cooler. I wouldn't want the card as a blower though, tbh. Hopefully even the plastic cheap one (if there is one) will have a triple fan cooler. It will need it..

I think for better or for worse AMD just have to stick with Vega/Fury etc until the end now. Then rethink and start firing and hiring.

Old 09-01-19, 10:33 PM
Resident Newb

This is a definite purchase for me but I'm going to give it a 6 months for prices to stabilize and go down slightly.
Old 09-01-19, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

They did always mention content creation first and foremost in the stream as the cards target market, with gaming being a "here's what it can also do" after, presumably because of the 16GB of VRAM. I think the main area that will excel from that in gaming is with 4K+ setups, especially if using CFX, for anything else I don't think this will be particularly greatly positioned because of the necessitated cost of that HBM and the fewer benefits from it at lower resolutions.

Maybe they'll do a cut down version with half the bus disabled/half the memory and a portion of the cores for Vega1 speeds at lower power consumption down the line once Vega1 stocks are mostly gone.

(And presumably the workstation variant of this card will have 32GB options using double(8-hi?) height stacks and another 4CUs if they kept the full cut at 64)

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt
[Note, it's a company page not run by me, I just did the electronics & software design work]