Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > MSI UK Forum

Old 27-06-21, 09:10 PM
OC3D Elite

TPM with X99A SLI Plus

Does anyone know if it is possible to enable Intel PTT with the X99A SLI Plus board - I know this is a few years old, but MSI doesn't seem to sell a TPM 2.0 chip.

I have two PCs, one acting as my server, the other as my TV - PC both with this board, and I would really prefer not to have to upgrade them for the while (HEDT systems are cripplingly expensive and I need the PCIe lanes)

If there is a way, can someone let me know, as I have tried setting secure boot on, using standard keys, but still no TPM in windows

Threadripper 3990X 4.2GHz - EK Supreme EVO - Asus - ZIIE - 128GB 3000Hz RAM - 3090 AlphaCool Block, EK Venom Backplate block - Asus RAID STRIX - Tower - FireCuda 520 1TB - Dual Loop - Windows 10 Workstation
Old 27-06-21, 10:46 PM
OC3D Elite

You may be able to use a dongle that plugs into the USB 3 header. Dice posted info about it yesterday? in Quick News dude.

Edit. It wasn't USB. Looked like it. Apparently there's a header.

Yeah you have one. So you will need the dongle thinger.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 27-06-21, 11:19 PM
OC3D Crew

For me i have a different issue i have tpm and secure boot, but windows 11 doesn't support ryzen 1700 least not yet sure it will by release time, but the tpm issue confused the hell out of me at the start but amd have ftpm.

Seems like an odd choice imho to force it on people, which makes me question why ?

Edit: They updated the app so i was right, but i think i'll still be able to run it tbh.

I plan to upgrade anyway a while down the road so nbd really but idk why MS feel the need to force things onto people and what their real reason is for doing so.
Old 28-06-21, 12:13 AM
AMD Enthusiast

If you're CPU supports Intels PTT you won't need a TPM header. Just need to enable it in bios for windows 11.
Old 28-06-21, 06:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Lol - Specifically, I cannot work out how to enable PTT in the X99 UEFI; there is secure boot, but no sign of anything useful in any other menu.

The headers you can get for a 14-1 pin layout for MSI are only up to TPM 1.2 (or that I can see anywhere)...

If anyone has experience with X99A UEFI and knows where PTT is enabled (or if it can be) let me know.

Threadripper 3990X 4.2GHz - EK Supreme EVO - Asus - ZIIE - 128GB 3000Hz RAM - 3090 AlphaCool Block, EK Venom Backplate block - Asus RAID STRIX - Tower - FireCuda 520 1TB - Dual Loop - Windows 10 Workstation
Old 29-06-21, 11:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Lol - Specifically, I cannot work out how to enable PTT in the X99 UEFI; there is secure boot, but no sign of anything useful in any other menu.

The headers you can get for a 14-1 pin layout for MSI are only up to TPM 1.2 (or that I can see anywhere)...

If anyone has experience with X99A UEFI and knows where PTT is enabled (or if it can be) let me know.
interesting, I wasnt able to find any info on the version compatibility for mine. All I know is that it cannot be TPM SPI.

ASUS only seem to provide R2.0 maybe it wouldnt work for me, if i have same issue as you.
Old 29-06-21, 01:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Yep looks like X99 (Intel 5 series) is SOL when it comes to these. The only way to add it is with MSI TPM 2.0 (ms-4136) which is currently sold out / scalped to death.

I am hopeful that the TPM requirement will be relaxed / changed.

Either way it looks like the following systems I have at home will be stuck on win 10:
Core 2 Quad Laptop
Core 2 Quad Desktop
Athlon S939 Desktop (yes this is running 32 bit windows 10, but come on, it's nearly old enough to drive)
X58 PC
X79 PC

I am actually quite sad the Athlon can't be kept up to date beyond 2025 (by which stage it will be 20)

Old 29-06-21, 01:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Yep looks like X99 (Intel 5 series) is SOL when it comes to these. The only way to add it is with MSI TPM 2.0 (ms-4136) which is currently sold out / scalped to death.

I am hopeful that the TPM requirement will be relaxed / changed.

Either way it looks like the following systems I have at home will be stuck on win 10:
Core 2 Quad Laptop
Core 2 Quad Desktop
Athlon S939 Desktop (yes this is running 32 bit windows 10, but come on, it's nearly old enough to drive)
X58 PC
X79 PC

I am actually quite sad the Athlon can't be kept up to date beyond 2025 (by which stage it will be 20)
Well if you are sourcing TPM just for Win11. you have plenty of time. Personally im not that eager to go win11. I remember the issues and bugs that win10 brought at launch.
Old 01-07-21, 07:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Or Vista :P - but yes this is for W11 where I would like to continue to update the machines to the latest version

Old 01-07-21, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Or Vista :P - but yes this is for W11 where I would like to continue to update the machines to the latest version
They are looking to relaxing the requirement. Might only need 1.2 in the near future