98860 #1 Folder

Welcome back! No cpu folding for me in at least 3 years, probably longer

Proud to represent OC3D on the 1st page of all Folding @ Home donors
Old 04-10-18, 09:59 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihapiha View Post
I'm back folding for a bit again...

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on one's view, it's getting really cold here again, and [email protected] nicely heats up my room.

I wonder if anybody is folding these days using their CPU... A single GTX 1080 is like 600k - 800k PPD as far as I can tell, which is more than my Quad-socket with four 12-CPU-core CPUs back in the day...

Are there people still getting nice PPD with CPUs?
CPU folding is not really worth the heat output and electricity cost anymore. Maybe if you get free electric or something. GPU folding is just several times more efficient in terms of ppd per watt than CPU folding.

Welcome back, btw
Old 05-10-18, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the information. I can confirm what you guys said.

I have a Threadripper 1920x @ 4.05 GHz these days, so I really thought it may be worth it. I did fold a couple of WUs to see where I'm at, but it does produce a ton of heat and it made the PPD on the two 1080 GTXs fall a bit, even though I left them 2 threads and folded on the CPU with the remaining 22 threads. In the end the CPU managed about 100k PPD; or at least that was projected in the [email protected] client, while making the PPD on the cards drop a bit.

Because each of the 1080s can manage ideally 800k PPD, it appears that the 100k PPD of the CPU are really not worth it, because a dip with the two 1080s can be more than 100k PPD... I guess ideally maybe I'd do 1.7 M PPD if everything went well, but even a million sounds like a lot to me at least.

With all the hardware loaded up so much, I however found that my two 480 radiators couldn't properly cool that system maxed out anymore. It wasn't really too hot or anything, but a little much for 24/7 folding, especially with the GPUs overclocked as well. Maybe I'd need a cooler room temperature because the water temperature rose to 37°C which is like 16°C over room temp. That meant the 1920x was sitting in the high 60s with some spikes to 70°C and the GPUs were at 50°C...

The problem with the temperatures was really the CPU. The Threadripper CPU is supposed to peak at 68°C as far as I read, and since I pushed it to 4050 MHz and gave it a healthy voltage of 1.417V, it is pretty much at it's absolute peak. If I render or use the CPU normally without having that much load on the GPUs the water temperature wouldn't be that high either, and the CPU temp would remain at high 50s to low 60s, but the added load with the GPUs just push the water temperature up so much that it's really at it's peak.

For those who may not know, usually 40°C water temperature means you need too add more radiators, 35-40°C means your system is pretty much at its peak, and lower than 35°C means you have reserves and can add hardware to cool. Lower than 30°C water temperature at load is kinda overkill...
Old 05-10-18, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I was getting approximately 150K on my 1920x which at the time was running stock at 3.6GHz. That did vary depending on the WU, could fall to around 80K. Still a far cry from the 1m PPD my vega 56 was managing.

I stopped as electricity bills are a tad on the steep side and I have to save the pennies where I can.

Old 05-10-18, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei View Post
I was getting approximately 150K on my 1920x which at the time was running stock at 3.6GHz. That did very depending on the WU, could fall to around 80K. Still a far cry from the 1m PPD my vega 56 was managing.

I stopped as electricity bills are a tad on the steep side and I have to save the pennies where I can.
Wow. I must check on how my system was setup then. With both WUs on the CPU the projected PPD was at around 100k

I also didn't realise that things changed again and AMD cards are better to fold on again. My 1080 GTX @ 2075 MHz core and with a decent OC on the memory actually is never under 100% load... It's in the high 80s... Maybe it depends on the WU

Rigs:
primary computer: MacBook Pro Retina 15"
gaming computer: Blue Obsidian