Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 10-03-14, 05:16 PM

Talking [Help] Sound card speaker configuration

Hey everyone,

Just wanted some assistance with setting up my sound. I have 2 independent studio monitors and wanted to connect to my sound card. I have the right 3.5mm cables etc, and when using a splitter obviously they both work, but don't become left and right.

How do I setup the monitors to be front left and front right? Possibly manipulating the channels so one becomes front left and front right, but I don't know how? It's basically to play music or when gaming as I don't want to wear headphones all the time.

Sound card is default Realtek on motherboard - Z87X-UD4H

Thanks so much in advanced

Old 10-03-14, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

For starters what input interface do the studio speakers have?

You have to get an adapter or cable that splits the left channel and right chanel into two different cables. If the speakers have a rca input that should be no problem.

P.s.:
In the next few minutes somebody will probaly post and advise you, that you should get a xonar stx if you use studio monitors.
Old 10-03-14, 05:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Thats right Lazlo, first sort out your problem as suggested, and then when you can and are willing to afford a Xonar STX do it.

I am using monitor speakers as well, the difference between onboard and a soundcard is quite noticable, even though i dont have a STX, i have the Xonar Xense as it was a gift, it is based on the xonar d2x which is by no means a bad card.
Old 11-03-14, 10:28 AM

Thanks for your feedback!!!!

My monitor speakers are the Pioneer SDJ-08. I have an rca to 3.5mm on each one, which then connects to a 3.5mm male to 2 x 3.5mm females. So are you saying i basically need to get a 3.5mm to rca splitter rather and have say white to one and red to other speaker?

So it seems I'm basically using the wrong splitter? I was wondering on the realtek if I could make 1 channel (Green) be front right and say (black) front left type of thing...
Old 11-03-14, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

You'll need either something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cables-To-Go...s=3%2C5+to+rca

and then use one rca cable for each speaker or something like this if you find something with sufficient length were you can split the two cables so that they can reach each speaker:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CABLEDUP-3-5...s=3%2C5+to+rca

The links are just examples so you can see what you need. Personally I would go for something with better quality.

Regarding the STX I was somewhat ironic. Though I don't think the stx is a bad card (to the contrary) I disagree with some people who use it as a universal recommendation. I too have the UD4H and for my needs the onboard solution is sufficient.
Old 11-03-14, 10:51 PM

Lazlo, thanks so much for your recommendations that helped me out a lot and now i know what i need. Basically my 3.5mm split doesn't allow for 'proper splitting' of the left and right (didn't even think about it). Seems like an easy and inexpensive fix. Regarding the sound cards, thanks for the recommendations, I do have a proper sound card in my other rig, but this is just for casual music listening/gaming, even though I'll be using sound monitors :P

Really appreciate all your help everyone, thanks very very much!!