Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 21-11-13, 08:30 PM

Car audio aftermarket receiver and speakers help

I'm about to buy a new car, probably the Honda Jazz. I looked up online and I couldn't find what speakers size it has places for. (I'm a noobie when it's about cars) and I was hoping to find some good recommendations for receivers and speakers (again, I couldn't find the sizes) I just know it has place for 4 speakers + two tweeters (not sure if I should occupy them)

What I look for in the receiver:
Flac support, Bluetooth, no touchscreen, High quality sound, reasonable + EQ, not needing a separate amp (probably not going to be a concern, because I'm not getting a subwofer)

What I look for in speakers:
Clear and detailed sound, not bass heavy, not very loud, close to flat so I could tweak the EQ as I see fit (I usually lower the highs a bit and keep the rest almost flat, but I like to play around with it)

I listen to a lot of genres mostly jazz and rock, but I also listen to other types of music like 8-bit, blues, classic rock, sometimes metal, sometimes classical music..

Budget for the audio system (without tax, shipping or installation) is up to $1000 max, preferably less though.

Old 21-11-13, 09:00 PM
OC3D Crew

Hi!

I recomend this speakers:
http://uk.infinitysystems.com/produc...pa-6011cs.html

http://uk.infinitysystems.com/produc...pa-69311i.html

And this car stereo:

http://www.alpine.es/p/Products/cd-h...ts19/cde-178bt

Old 21-11-13, 09:10 PM

are you sure that's the right speaker size? I couldn't find the size anywhere
Old 21-11-13, 09:11 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiyEyal View Post
are you sure that's the right speaker size? I couldn't find the size anywhere

Take a look!!

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/H...acement-Guide/
Old 21-11-13, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMP View Post
Thanks, I bookmarked this guide.
Old 21-11-13, 09:19 PM

Usually car speakers don't give a flat sound, the reason being that in the car their response will be nowhere near flat anyway. I'd say get a player with all the touchscreen and other stuff and separate amp. I'd say its better in terms of sound quality than spending more on the speakers.
You can get pretty good sound if you play your cards right, but if your one of those guys that has a great hifi system at home, you won't get even close to that in a car without spending ALOT of money so don't expect too much if this is the case.
If you really want flat response, your gonna atleast need a good eq device to help out, but that will cost atleast 200 euros and with your budget I wouldn't get one.
A good amp will get you a long way and there is a point where more expensive speakers won't even sound better without modding the car. (eg new door panels and sound dampening)
Old 21-11-13, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurf View Post
Usually car speakers don't give a flat sound, the reason being that in the car their response will be nowhere near flat anyway. I'd say get a player with all the touchscreen and other stuff and separate amp. I'd say its better in terms of sound quality than spending more on the speakers.
You can get pretty good sound if you play your cards right, but if your one of those guys that has a great hifi system at home, you won't get even close to that in a car without spending ALOT of money so don't expect too much if this is the case.
If you really want flat response, your gonna atleast need a good eq device to help out, but that will cost atleast 200 euros and with your budget I wouldn't get one.
A good amp will get you a long way and there is a point where more expensive speakers won't even sound better without modding the car. (eg new door panels and sound dampening)
I'm usally more of a headphones guy, and it makes sense (headphones are more controlled system)
I really really really don't want a touch screen..
Old 21-11-13, 09:41 PM

Very true. You have to use way more money and time on speaker systems to get them to sound as good as great headphones and you have to use way more money and time if those speakers are in a car. I think the best way to spend your money wisely is to get the car. Listen to the stock setup, if you're not happy, get an amp and/or reciever and if your still not happy, better speakers.
Just keep in mind that you are aiming for enjoyable sound while driving, not great headphone quality sound.
Old 22-11-13, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurf View Post
Very true. You have to use way more money and time on speaker systems to get them to sound as good as great headphones and you have to use way more money and time if those speakers are in a car. I think the best way to spend your money wisely is to get the car. Listen to the stock setup, if you're not happy, get an amp and/or reciever and if your still not happy, better speakers.
Just keep in mind that you are aiming for enjoyable sound while driving, not great headphone quality sound.
I did listen to it while a test drive, and I'm definitely going to upgrade.. And you're right, I'm planning to get the same experience as my headphones.
I think spending up to $1000 is a reasonable
Also the engine isn't loud so I can actually see myself enjoying higher quality sound.

Do you have any spesific brands of speakers in the 6.5" size?
Also, should I get padding to stuff behind the speakers?
You think an amp is necessary if I'm not planning on buying a subwoofer?
Old 22-11-13, 08:46 AM

I'm not going to name brands just because its been a while since I looked at the market so I thought I'd just give some basic advice.

A good amp does more than just deliver raw power and my personal experience is that with that budget a good amp will increase sound quality. This is not to say that you should cheap out on the speakers, but I would use some of that budget on an amp.In terms of putting padding or something it really depends on the speakers.
When installing the speakers, I will suggest you get proper speaker cables and by proper I mean thicker not more expensive.

The reason I say don't expect headphone quality is that physically a car is a horrible space for music.
If you google speaker positioning, you will notice that in home hifi room size, wall material and speakers positioning is very important to the point where extremely expensive speakers will not even sound better unless they're used in the right way. If you think how simple a normal room is and yet there are still alot of problems to be solved when finding good sound, just imagine how hard a car will be.

Everything is relative. If I hear a good song in my car, I sometimes think "man, I gotta listen to this at home with my speakers", but I have a friend who gets in the car and when he hears music, he says "wow, I've never heard this good sound before!"