Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 10-12-13, 10:09 AM

What happened to Newegg?

I recall a time, when Newegg offered free shipping - ON EVERYTHING. Now it's usually 2$, even if you chose the 5-8 day shipping. Even on stuff that weighs less than a damn pound.

They also used to have the best prices on PC parts. Recently, Newegg had "Sales" on certain products for Black Friday / Cyber Week. These "Sale" prices, were the same as Amazon's NORMAL prices. Like the ASUS 144HZ monitor is 280$ on Newegg, WITH a sale - while with no sale, it is 267$ on Amazon( Amazon sales go down to 239.99$ for it, 40$ less than neweggs sale)

And Amazon offers free shipping on most small things, and on large things, as long as you break 35$, free shipping too. If you have Amazon Prime - which I did, for a year, it is INSANE how much money you can save / get stuff there a day later for almost nothing.

I used to remember, when anyone asked me about PC parts, I was like "Go to Newegg, best place to build!"

Now newegg has a GPU on sale for say, 329$ and 8$ shipping, while Amazon has the SAME GPU available for 279$ and free shipping, it's crazy!

Newegg will often refuse to price-match Amazon as well, as I have asked in the past and they said they are not a qualifying competitor. So I just can't use Newegg much at all anymore, unless it's a really amazing deal that sometime pops up(Once every few months, really.)

I remember that Amazon used to have really poor deals on PC parts back when I checked, and Newegg was always cheaper / had more in stock, and more availability on parts. Now it is the opposite.

I loved Newegg and used them since 2006, but they've just gotten progressively worse! And their own Rosewill brand is crap, they won't honor warranties. I just can't believe how far Newegg has fallen, they used to be the GO TO place, but it seems they're under new management or something, and they've been corrupting what everyone liked about it.

I mean, they used to have those commercials for Newegg, and I found myself fist bumping the air when I saw them, happy Newegg was becoming more popular, taking jabs at Best Buy...but now...those commercials are gone...and...and... BEST BUY HAD BETTER DEALS THIS YEAR THAN NEWEGG!

You broke my heart Newegg! You broke it!

Old 10-12-13, 10:12 AM
OC3D Crew

I remember when I built this PC I bought a fair bit of stuff from Newegg, but you're right, doesn't seem to be so amazing anymore.

I mostly check Ebuyer, Scan and Overclockers now :/
Old 10-12-13, 07:02 PM

So something I ordered yesterday for it's cheapest shipping is still "In packaging"

Meanwhile, I ordered something using the same "5-8 day" shipping, which was free(neweggs was 2$0, and Amazon freaking overnighted it to me...while Newegg hasn't even had it leave the building.

Edit:

Annnnd I got -snip- today.

So a 10$ rebate was put up on the KEyboard, for purchases between today and such. I went to Newegg support and they tell me they can't, even though it's not arrived yet.

They said I COULD refuse the order, re-order it..lmao, and then get the rebate...right, costing me another week, maybe two, money with shipping, ect...probably lose my 10% Master Pass discount.

God, Newegg has gone trash - they used to do this with just a click. Now, they refuse to be at all helpful.
Old 12-12-13, 12:10 PM

I'd agree, they are not what they used to be, especially since adding the marketplace. You need to watch for things that aren't sold by newegg, but by a third party. The pricing is usually atrocious and almost never free shipping.

One thing about newegg though is they are fast. That's why I keep going back. I do check prices now though. In years passed I didn't shop around because I knew newegg had the best price. Sadly, that's not the case anymore.

Old 12-12-13, 12:21 PM

Yeah, Newegg, fast? What?

My item, on Amazon, shipped a DAY later than my Newegg item - and it will arrive tomorrow, while my Newegg one won't arrive til like next Tuesday...and Amazon's shipping was free.

And the item is in a Warehouse less than 3 hours from where I live. Amazon's warehouse was in CA - and it's going to get here first. As I said, I had to pay for Neweggs, while Amazons was free, and they gave me the rebate instantly, while Newegg says they can't.

I'm just sad. I always liked telling people to go to Newegg, it wasn't well known, it had awesome deals and good service...but then well...something happened to them, I don't know.

Also, what es me off about Newegg is, with Amazon, they'll price match and turn the items page to that price - no need to contact support.

With Newegg, you have to contact their support and get them to give you the price matched discount, rather than just change their page to that price. It reeks of scumbag.
Old 12-12-13, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post
Yeah, Newegg, fast? What?

My item, on Amazon, shipped a DAY later than my Newegg item - and it will arrive tomorrow, while my Newegg one won't arrive til like next Tuesday...and Amazon's shipping was free.

And the item is in a Warehouse less than 3 hours from where I live. Amazon's warehouse was in CA - and it's going to get here first. As I said, I had to pay for Neweggs, while Amazons was free, and they gave me the rebate instantly, while Newegg says they can't.

I'm just sad. I always liked telling people to go to Newegg, it wasn't well known, it had awesome deals and good service...but then well...something happened to them, I don't know.
I've spent close to $100,000 with them over the years. I've only had 1 or 2 bad experiences that I can recall and they rectified both situations. I try to stick to items with free shipping. I have Amazon prime and use that quite often as well. I get free shipping through cdwg too.

Agreed though that Newegg really needs to do something to change before they screw their reputation.

Old 12-12-13, 12:30 PM

Oh god. Amazon Prime. THAT IS AMAZING. I had it for a year and still want to get it back, but I don't have much stuff I am buying right now, but Prime is awesome

"Hey, want that 100 pound item overnight? 3.99$" "Want that game Sunday? Order Friday, FREE!"

I love that with Prime, I can order something at like 9PM Wednesday, chose free 2 day shipping, and have it by Friday. - Hell, once I got it the NEXT day. Amazon sometimes overnights for free.

Prime is so worth it for the money you save. And their Streaming service isn't awful either, I used it a few times, was pretty decent!

Not to mention you can split Prime between 4 family members / friends, which is awesome...so basically, get 4 friends / family together, each throw in 20$...free 2 day shipping for all of you for a YEAR!

20$ for free 2 day shipping in almost every item for a year? CANNOT beat that.
Old 12-12-13, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkilbride View Post
Oh god. Amazon Prime. THAT IS AMAZING. I had it for a year and still want to get it back, but I don't have much stuff I am buying right now, but Prime is awesome

"Hey, want that 100 pound item overnight? 3.99$" "Want that game Sunday? Order Friday, FREE!"

I love that with Prime, I can order something at like 9PM Wednesday, chose free 2 day shipping, and have it by Friday. - Hell, once I got it the NEXT day. Amazon sometimes overnights for free.

Prime is so worth it for the money you save. And their Streaming service isn't awful either, I used it a few times, was pretty decent!

Not to mention you can split Prime between 4 family members / friends, which is awesome...so basically, get 4 friends / family together, each throw in 20$...free 2 day shipping for all of you for a YEAR!

20$ for free 2 day shipping in almost every item for a year? CANNOT beat that.
Defintely, it's well worth it. I wish more e-tailers would follow suite with this type of program. The money I saved this month alone has paid for the Prime membership. We ordered just about every Christmas gift off of Amazon and used the 2 day free shipping.

Newegg, I'm looking at you!

Old 12-12-13, 12:49 PM

I ordered an AC overnight, needed to ,because it was like 105 out and my sister was frying, it would've been 98$ to ship it overnight

Prime, was 79.99$ + 3.99 to overnight it. I saved HUNDREDS in shipping for that year.