Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 06-08-13, 05:10 PM
OC3D Crew

My pc and EA strikes again.....

FFS.

How easy is it to uninstall battlefield 2......simple!!! Well No, the gremlins in my pc made me turn a simple job into a near nightmare. I like to run my games using NoCD files as I dint like to hear the disc spin when playing...(yes I own the physical discs)

Anyway Battlefield 2 was crashing to desktop after joining any game after a few seconds...a quick google got me some results but no joy. So I thought a simple uninstall and reinstall would fix it (not using the nocd would hopefully fix my issue) I stupidly forgot to backup the original files ..... Fail on my part.

Anyway to completely uninstall battlefield 2 i had to delete it from the registry, documents and the install directory. Simple enough, and while I was at it I uninstalled BFBC2, basically got rid of battlefield completely.

Success...........so far.

Went to reinstall BF2, and nothing...the screen would load and close the install page so fast it wasn't worth it. I tried creating an iso of the disc, didnt work. I tried BF BC 2, nope.....Google will help I thought......nope.

System restore for the win.....

Back at desktop, try install for BF 2.....nope. Google again.....load up my 3connect dongle to start searching.. BSoD with aswSP.sys

Oh FFS. !!!!!!!!

After multiple boot attempts (mobo splash screen freezes) finally boot into safe mode.....(all else fails safe mode can fix a lot of stuff.)

By this point I've found what the aswSP.sys error was, so my Avast was first priority....uninstall, to get rid of the bsod.. Job done....restart.

Back at desktop, install BF2, success!

I noticed that my auto play for 3 Connect wasn't loading.... (here we go again......) However this turned out to be a simple uninstall - reinstall.

So now I have my Internet back and Battlefield 2 back to normal, so just need to sort my avast out and update it.....

Will be back to normal very soon...

All in all it's taken 3 hours to uninstall and reinstall BF 2.......so from now on I'll be backing up game discs and mount the iso....lol.

Lets just hope all is well....

Old 11-08-13, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

You could always contact EA support. If you provide them your BF2 CD key they will add the complete edition to your Origin account.
Old 11-08-13, 06:25 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulkez View Post
You could always contact EA support. If you provide them your BF2 CD key they will add the complete edition to your Origin account.
Could have saved a lot of time on his part.
Old 12-08-13, 12:48 PM
The Webmaster

Yeah I'd be reg'ing the cd key and getting a full copy if I were you.
Then you get all the x-packs and stuff
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 12-08-13, 01:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Funny how much of a PITA that antivirus software can be if I try and play BF3 with Kaspersky running my game continually drops to windowed mode and then I cant spawn or do anything so I have to remember to shut it down first which of course I don't a lot of the time lol
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 12-08-13, 05:34 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
Funny how much of a PITA that antivirus software can be if I try and play BF3 with Kaspersky running my game continually drops to windowed mode and then I cant spawn or do anything so I have to remember to shut it down first which of course I don't a lot of the time lol
Bitdefender for me pops up about 6-8 times asking my permission to have an .exe file to continue but after that it does not pop up for me.. It's super annoying because if i dont allow it fast enough the whole thing crashes and i have to start over. So i know how you feel
Old 15-08-13, 06:49 AM

Excalabur50 there is a 'gaming profile' mode in Kaspersky (in settings>advanced settings) which is NOT enabled by default. Try enabling it and see if it helps. NeverBackDown I've not used Bitdefender lately but it used to have a gaming mode so I'm guessing it could still be there so you could also give it a try.
Old 15-08-13, 06:57 AM
AMD Enthusiast

gaming mode in bitdefender just makes it use less resources at the cost of lower secruity... i'm paying for secruity so why would i put myself up at risk? Just my thinking.
Old 15-08-13, 08:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ady6UK View Post
Excalabur50 there is a 'gaming profile' mode in Kaspersky (in settings>advanced settings) which is NOT enabled by default. Try enabling it and see if it helps. NeverBackDown I've not used Bitdefender lately but it used to have a gaming mode so I'm guessing it could still be there so you could also give it a try.
Thanks for that I have enabled it, what I find amazing is when I contacted Kaspersky themselves they didn't even tell me of that particular feature!
NZXT Phantom 630 White=AMD Ryzen 1700X=MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=MSI MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Corsair MM800 RGB CE
Old 15-08-13, 08:44 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulkez View Post
I can do what now??....

This is nice to know but unless EA send physical discs then this is a bit pointless atm (internet usage).

Once I get fibre optic I'll chase this up.