Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 15-05-13, 01:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
WTF is going on with PC game prices?

Seriously WTF?

As we all know (well we may not but we will after reading this) console games have always been more expensive than PC games because there are licensing fees of around 30% per game sold by the owner of the console itself.

So for example a 360 game is £45, £15 or so of that goes to M$. This is why M$ got into the console business in the first place, as they are not allowed by law to charge a licensing fee for games released in Windows (they tried but failed).

Same goes for Sony, and Nintendo (however to be fair Nintendo charge a lot less).

So that meant that a PC game at launch here in the UK (because you Americans get robbed which is surprising but true) would be around £25.

However this year things seem to have changed. Now PC games are costing the same as console games. As an example I bought Crysis 3 for £35. I wasn't surprised at that as EA are greedy bastards. However, I just went to see how much Metro : Last Light was and it's £35. The Xbox 360 version is £35.

What winds me right up is that piracy in 2005 was really high. PC games were expensive then too, and after exhaustive argument and debates game companies finally dropped the price of PC games which to me any way reduced piracy.

I'll admit that in 2005 I stole a lot of games. I did buy quite a lot, but I stole a good few too.

Now I'll tell you that between 2008 and now I have not stolen a single game because I was more than happy to pay the £20-£25 a brand new title demanded. Heck, I even paid £30 at launch for GTAIV at Game and £55 each for two Fallout box sets.

But the way things are going? I'm not being funny but I'm not paying £35 for a PC game. They're simply not worth it.

/rant over.

Old 15-05-13, 01:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Never buy full price games
http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/

But as with everything, inflation.
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 15-05-13, 01:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Seriously WTF?

As we all know (well we may not but we will after reading this) console games have always been more expensive than PC games because there are licensing fees of around 30% per game sold by the owner of the console itself.

So for example a 360 game is £45, £15 or so of that goes to M$. This is why M$ got into the console business in the first place, as they are not allowed by law to charge a licensing fee for games released in Windows (they tried but failed).

Same goes for Sony, and Nintendo (however to be fair Nintendo charge a lot less).

So that meant that a PC game at launch here in the UK (because you Americans get robbed which is surprising but true) would be around £25.

However this year things seem to have changed. Now PC games are costing the same as console games. As an example I bought Crysis 3 for £35. I wasn't surprised at that as EA are greedy bastards. However, I just went to see how much Metro : Last Light was and it's £35. The Xbox 360 version is £35.

What winds me right up is that piracy in 2005 was really high. PC games were expensive then too, and after exhaustive argument and debates game companies finally dropped the price of PC games which to me any way reduced piracy.

I'll admit that in 2005 I stole a lot of games. I did buy quite a lot, but I stole a good few too.

Now I'll tell you that between 2008 and now I have not stolen a single game because I was more than happy to pay the £20-£25 a brand new title demanded. Heck, I even paid £30 at launch for GTAIV at Game and £55 each for two Fallout box sets.

But the way things are going? I'm not being funny but I'm not paying £35 for a PC game. They're simply not worth it.

/rant over.
im just ed that i spent like £50 on crysis on preorder, then like 3 days later it was going for £25!!

i used to pirate EVERYTHING!! but last couple of years i been paying for my entertainment as i feel developers and stuff should be paid for the work they do

but games are kinda expensive across the board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post
Never buy full price games
http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/

But as with everything, inflation.
omg why did i not come across this site before!! im cancelling a couple of my preorders!
Old 15-05-13, 01:44 PM
OC3D Crew

Send a message via MSN to Dario_92 Send a message via Skype™ to Dario_92
I have used cjs-cdkeys to buy most of my games, the only time i buy games on steam is when they have a big sale on
Windows 10 64 Bit // NZXT H440 Razer Edition // BenQ XL2420TX

Old 15-05-13, 01:49 PM
Banned

Inflation is hard to swallow, given that games are mostly just keys now. They've totally eradicated any media which would have cost them. So they should either ignore inflation given the money they've saved or just charge the same given they have negated the media.

This is greed. Pure and simple greed. The problem is that on the PC it will backfire on them because people will just turn to piracy.

Console games have not gone up in price so they're just gouging the PC gamers.

And for what? to put up with a load of DRM crap.
Old 15-05-13, 01:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Probably because they're trying to recoup some profit on the backs of early buyers. Any Mass Effect, Dead Space or Batman games will always be a Day 1 buy for me. The rest of them, I'll just wait til they go on one of Steam or Origin's big sales. I'm sure most gamers do the same. So they throw the new releases out there at $60 to pick off the people that'll buy on day 1 to make up for all the people that'll wait a month or two and buy it for $20 when Steam puts it on sale.

AMD R5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz ••• Asus ROG Strix X370-F ••• Corsair H110i
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G3 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2 ••• Nvidia RTX 2070 FE
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• Acer Predator XB272 @ 240 Hz
Logitech G-Pro TKL ••• Logitech G MX518
Old 15-05-13, 01:59 PM
Banned

It's probably because they're giving so many away with GPUs tbh.

Screw that I'm not paying so that Nvidia can make more sales.
Old 15-05-13, 02:13 PM
The Webmaster

Don't pre-order games, that solves 50% of the cost issues lads.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 15-05-13, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Don't pre-order games, that solves 50% of the cost issues lads.
The only games I pre order are boxed set limited editions as they sell out so fast you miss out otherwise.
Old 15-05-13, 02:45 PM

In germany you buy retail AAA-Titles for 60€. :/

My Rig in the Gallery!