Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Time To Live Customs

Old 21-10-14, 09:51 PM

What paint to choose please help

Yo

So yeah i am making a PSU shield for my 750D that will cover up the lower section of the case and it is made of metal, the shield is made to fit only this case and the color scheme will be for good, which is mat black(like the case), mat red and titanium grey, mostly because i have a formula VI, a GTX 780 DCU2 and i sleeved my 24pin with mat red and titanium grey

So i am planning on painting the whole shield in mat black with mat red stripes on top and grey between the stripes

So my question to you guy's is this: what's my best choice for paint, as in what type of paint("not to clever in the paint job section" shh don't tell )

Thanks in advance.

Old 18-01-16, 12:16 AM

I have always used Automotive paint for any metal and Acrylic paint for any plastics, or SEM vinyl paint for plastic.
Old 18-01-16, 10:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Acid etch primer. Primer. Paint.

Etch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-AUTOTE...QAAOSwDk5UKp10

Primer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simoniz-Gr...EAAOSwqu9VLU8j

And what I always use for top coat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONTANA-GO...MAAOSwv0tVJQLt

Or Montana Black (it's not black that's just the name they give it kinda like the gold above)

I would use matt vinyl for the stripes.

Old 18-01-16, 02:12 PM
Bettyswollocks

I personally use Hycote automotive spray paints for modding as their Satin Black is the closest I've found to actual case finishes, with these paints though I would say you will need a filler primer for a perfect finish and follow the instructions to the letter when using them, in my last build I used a grey filler primer, satin Black & Ford gunmetal grey and the outcome was epic.
Old 08-03-16, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

I have always used run-of-the-mill rattle can paint for non-heated components. Then top with a couple coats of clear to keep the scratching to a minimum. Of course, the paint job is only as good as the sanding and etching job. Take your time and properly score the surface of the material to be painted. Add a nice few coats of primer. Keep in mind that the color of the primer can alter the color of the finish coat slightly (mostly with lighter finish colors.) A couple of light clear coats shouldn't affect the matte finish, but be careful, too much clear can take your matte to a semi-gloss. Also, get a test panel to test your accent painting on. Different paint have different dry times which results in any taping you've applied needing to be pulled at different times.

I ran into an issue when I added accent striping to my case during modding. I had painted the striping and let the paint set for about 15-20 minutes before pulling the tape. The particular paint I used dried rather quickly which resulted in chunks of the paint coming up when I pulled the tape. In my particular case, due to the rapid dry time, I had decrease the time between coats, and pull the tape immediately after applying the final coat, careful not to touch the paint. I had about 20-30 minutes to spray 5 coats and remove the tape.

If you make a mistake, don't sweat it too much. Just let it dry for 24-48 hours and sand your little hiny off. Do a good job sanding the paint off as this will be the surface you repaint. I had to sand mine down a couple times due to mistake made while sanding the messed up areas. When in doubt, come back here to the forums and ask for advice. There are a lot of good people on here with a lot of modding experience that will be more that willing to give advice.