Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 04-04-17, 07:19 PM
The Guvnor

ASUS GTX1080 Ti Strix OC SLI OverKILL3D Review

If one GTX 1080 Ti is good, and a Strix OC is great, then the GTX 1080 Ti Strix SLI arrangement should be amazing.

ASUS GTX1080 Ti Strix OC SLI OverKILL3D Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 05-04-17, 01:07 AM
OC3D Elite

This was a very good review Tom and a lot of the comments you made were the reason I went away from SLI myself some time back, heat is a bit of a problem and living in a hot country it plays it's part, the fact that game dev's don't really support SLI much anymore just doesn't justify the price of having the second card.
I also agree with you wholeheartedly that 1440p is the sweet spot for a monitor
TBH I think that instead of buying two cards people would be better off buying one 1080 Ti and putting the money into something like a 34-35 1440p gsync monitor
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 3000Mhz Dominator Platinums= MSI GTX980Ti Gaming 6G=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 05-04-17, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Too many reviews in a short time Tom?

SLI is still more pain than actual gain. Going for the strongest single card you can is still the way to go. But for the show off purposes this is No. 1.
Old 05-04-17, 01:18 PM

If this review was to be described with a game's name, it'd probably be "Life Is Strange"

It's really awesome to see this performance at 4k, finally! Still way too expensive though and what happened to the good old micro stuttering, I always heard of? Is this a thing of the past?

Funnily enough, with my 1080p60 monitor, I will soon be at a point, where my monitor is too bad, to play modern games, wtf

Also, Tom, the graph for 3D Mark Vantage has the top 4 card setups twice in it, but you'll probably already noticed that. Haven't watched the video yet.
GPU: ASUS GTX1070 Strix OC 8GB
PSU: Corsair TX650M
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31
Old 05-04-17, 07:43 PM

After viewing the video review I decided to pull the trigger on a single 1080Ti, however would I not be better off with 1080 SLI for the 4k gaming ?
Old 05-04-17, 11:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdvd View Post
After viewing the video review I decided to pull the trigger on a single 1080Ti, however would I not be better off with 1080 SLI for the 4k gaming ?
As Tom said in the video only go sli if you know your games will utilise it, there's not much point if they don't
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 3000Mhz Dominator Platinums= MSI GTX980Ti Gaming 6G=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 06-04-17, 12:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
As Tom said in the video only go sli if you know your games will utilise it, there's not much point if they don't
QFT!! I game at 4K with a pair of 980s, and if the game properly supports SLI, I'm good (ie Fallout 4, after MUCH patching). Please god / flying spaghetti monster, let Vega be competitive, so Nvidia can stop tossing this "refurbed" Titan crap down our throats and charging retarded money for it. I'm starting to really DESPISE this crappy company (Nvidia).
/ 360 rad x 3 / dual D5 vario pumps
Old 06-04-17, 04:43 AM
OC3D Crew

This is the first time I've not gone SLI in many many years. I've had more than 6 series of cards in SLI before now.

And I just feel like NVIDIA doesn't give a !#@? anymore about SLI. So many games do not work with it and NVIDIA has not worked on a universal multicard solution to replace this horrible mess we've had to deal with for the past 10 years.

It is a complete waste of money to me and again I have had SLI for a long time. For the price of a second GTX 1080 Ti I could get an ultrawide 3440 G-Sync monitor and at-least that works in every 3D application.

One thing I sure don't miss is microstutter from SLI. Everything just feels so much smoother on a single card.
Old 06-04-17, 08:28 AM

I have been running SLi Since 2006 and 3-way SLi since 2009. My 3 way SLi adventure ended this march with my 3x 980Ti when I replaced them with 1080Ti SLi since now nVidia officially dropped 3/4 way SLi support.
In more than at decade with permanent SLi solutions in my rigs I only ever encountered two issues. This may also be due to the fact that since the AGP card days, I no longer buy AAA titles on release because there are always bugs of all kinds than need sorting out and it's regardless if you're running one, two or three card, albeit it may be less noticeable with just one card.
So when I buy an AAA title it is usually 3-5months after the release and then most bugs are sorted and the game runs fine.

All in all I have been a very happy SLi user for 12 years
Old 06-04-17, 09:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen90 View Post
I have been running SLi Since 2006 and 3-way SLi since 2009. My 3 way SLi adventure ended this march with my 3x 980Ti when I replaced them with 1080Ti SLi since now nVidia officially dropped 3/4 way SLi support.
In more than at decade with permanent SLi solutions in my rigs I only ever encountered two issues. This may also be due to the fact that since the AGP card days, I no longer buy AAA titles on release because there are always bugs of all kinds than need sorting out and it's regardless if you're running one, two or three card, albeit it may be less noticeable with just one card.
So when I buy an AAA title it is usually 3-5months after the release and then most bugs are sorted and the game runs fine.

All in all I have been a very happy SLi user for 12 years
Well I went 1080Ti SLI and it ran like dog S**t in most games I played. Returned one card and so will not go SLI anymore. When I spend 16,000Nok on 2 cards I dont want games to run "fine" I want them to run spectacularly.

The Division resulted in 20fps less than single card solution, mainly because it doesnt support it. Since I don't play twitch shooters I really don't miss SLI after using that setup for 8 years. One 1080ti is enough to drive my swift monitor so I think I'm happy with that.

The way I see it now, SLI is just to push benching numbers. Until we see devs really pushing utilisation, it will possibly fade out over time. There are some making the effort but others just don't care. It has nothing to do with Nvidia, they provided the foundation here but the developers aren't building on it good enough. Maybe its tied to the complexity of getting SLI to work with game ports. I can't comment too much since Im not a developer or designer.

What I do know is that SLI is worse now than it has ever been in the past.