Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-04-21, 05:59 PM
News Guru

Microsoft's DirectStorage API will make NVMe storage a must for gamers

Who's ready to upgrade their SSD?

Read more about Microsoft's DirectStorage API.

Old 21-04-21, 07:55 PM
OC3D Crew

I only have 2 nvme drives 1tb each and while this is a good thing i'll be limited in space going forward, looks like a lot of my current VR and general games will be moved onto older drives to make space for new games that use direct storage

15.25TB of space and never enough space for everything so sooner or later i'll run out and have to start uninstalling lol
Old 21-04-21, 08:33 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
I only have 2 nvme drives 1tb each and while this is a good thing i'll be limited in space going forward, looks like a lot of my current VR and general games will be moved onto older drives to make space for new games that use direct storage

15.25TB of space and never enough space for everything so sooner or later i'll run out and have to start uninstalling lol
I don't even want to know how much SSD space I'd need to have my entire PC library stored on my PC.
Old 21-04-21, 08:47 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
I don't even want to know how much SSD space I'd need to have my entire PC library stored on my PC.
I do have a hell of a lot of games really, but i've not got my whole collection installed I'd estimate i'd need around 30tb's to do that, but i keep most installed until i'm done playing or no desire to play again.

The biggest issue is the newer the game the more space it wants, atm GTA V is taking up more than double it's install size as i have a back up copy an a highly modded version, it's worth it
Old 21-04-21, 09:14 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
I do have a hell of a lot of games really, but i've not got my whole collection installed I'd estimate i'd need around 30tb's to do that, but i keep most installed until i'm done playing or no desire to play again.

The biggest issue is the newer the game the more space it wants, atm GTA V is taking up more than double it's install size as i have a back up copy an a highly modded version, it's worth it
TBH, I think we will start to see new data compression techniques that will help to reduce game sizes in the future. There's a reason why Xbox Series and PS5 system have a big decompression chip between their SSDs and CPUs.

It's hard to know how these changes will impact the PC market, but I think that changes are coming.
Old 21-04-21, 09:33 PM

After I got 1000/1000 internet i no longer have storage issues.

Most games install in 10 minutes, and the worst in about 20 or the time it take to have a meal. I just had to try it a few times because it felt Odd to remove something I might need. My fist modem was 14.4 kpbs so that is where that came from :-)
Old 21-04-21, 09:52 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNo View Post
After I got 1000/1000 internet i no longer have storage issues.

Most games install in 10 minutes, and the worst in about 20 or the time it take to have a meal. I just had to try it a few times because it felt Odd to remove something I might need. My fist modem was 14.4 kpbs so that is where that came from :-)
Nice speeds, for me even when i had fiber it was no where near that like 80/20 atm i'm just using 4g until i move then look for the best fiber deal going

it should get better on the compression side of things, but i still think were looking at large game sizes as they will be using higher end textures and such.

were still a year or so away from this direct storage being a big thing same as DXR is only starting to get going now, some good games coming thou might get bio mutant but resi village is a day one for me
Old 22-04-21, 04:05 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Great write up WYP, do you know when this will be released or any PC games launch date with support for this?

I wonder if in the future MS could somehow use this for outside of gaming and say maybe, if beneficial, use Integrated graphics on CPU to handle decompression to speed up various tasks.
Old 22-04-21, 09:52 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Great write up WYP, do you know when this will be released or any PC games launch date with support for this?

I wonder if in the future MS could somehow use this for outside of gaming and say maybe, if beneficial, use Integrated graphics on CPU to handle decompression to speed up various tasks.
TBH, I have no idea when games will use this. Hopefully we will start seeing PC games use it when Xbox games do.

This could lead to some dedicated decompression silicon on future CPUs and GPUs, which could then be used for various other applications.
Old 22-04-21, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

how much will it improve.. that´s the question.

level load times are not something that concernes me much.. well im not a big gamer.