Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 18-11-13, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Liking that new front panel.

The dogtag, not so much. The round edges are not very... round, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarikhan786 View Post
The engraving doesn't look good at all. Apart from that I'll be looking forward to what you do next
Thanks, it was my first time that I engraved on metal, so it was not perfect, I still have to train more, but as the project has to walk, I'm learning and working at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
Those bullet holes can also act as air vents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticalbox View Post
or dust intakes.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB-91 View Post
Haha!
You guessed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticalbox View Post
will need to make sure to have a positive airflow in that case.

liking the look so far though
the case will be well ventilated, further ahead you will see what I will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehere View Post
Is that engraving done with a vibration type engraver?
you can get very small diamond grinding bits for the dremel which may help you as they are like using a pencil on it
Thanks for the tip, next time I will do with a little more care, but for now, the idea is to make something that looks more "gross", looking like it was done hastily, as a dogtag engraved on the battlefield.

So let the news...

Engraved made in front of the case:

Front with the switch:

I did not like the look, so I changed the location of the switch:

How was a hole in the front, I added a medal (which is the Battlefield 3 but it will serve):

I hope you enjoyed.

Next step are the feet of the case.

I thank all who support and follow the project!

Old 19-11-13, 05:55 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm not sure about the gross thing, I know you want to achieve that look but attention to detail is still more important to make it look good, look at project marshlands for example hell, the battlefield 4 engraving is crooked -.-

Old 19-11-13, 02:38 PM
OC3D Elite

That engraving isn't the best either. You should practise a bit more.

Or just use a marker/sharpie/pencil to draw your design onto the metal first, then simply go over the line and wipe the panel clean when you are done engraving.

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 19-11-13, 05:51 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:

Or just use a marker/sharpie/pencil to draw your design onto the metal first, then simply go over the line and wipe the panel clean when you are done engraving.
Well, I suppose the engravings are supposed to look improvised, imitating the style of the engravings on the Dogtags in the game.
4.14.13-1-ARCH
Old 19-11-13, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
I'm not sure about the gross thing, I know you want to achieve that look but attention to detail is still more important to make it look good, look at project marshlands for example hell, the battlefield 4 engraving is crooked -.-
Quote:

Thanks for the tips guys

I got a new set of drill bits for engraving, and so I will get better result of engraving.

Any tips you can give me to help, are valid, as it is my first experience making engravings mostly all the help and tips from more experienced people are of great help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rrial View Post
Well, I suppose the engravings are supposed to look improvised, imitating the style of the engravings on the Dogtags in the game.
This would be the idea, but of course, if I can leave with that look more "sloppy" while "well done", would be ideal, so I count on the tips of everyone who can help.

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 20-11-13, 07:02 AM

News...

Added the aluminum feet that I sanded to stay with the same design style, with metallic look:

And the engravings on the front of the case, will be improved, if anyone has tips on how to make a better finish in the engravings, I am very grateful.

I hope you enjoyed.

I thank all who support the project!
Old 20-11-13, 07:34 AM
OC3D Crew

use some finer paper on them feet mate and try to keep the sanding lines all in the same direction

are the top corners of the front plate battered for the look your after?
Old 20-11-13, 11:50 AM
OC3D Crew

I wonder if some acid etching would serve as a better look than the engraving you have now?

The benefit of etching is that you have a much more precise control over what is or is not etched.

I'm just not sure if the look would match what you are after...
Old 20-11-13, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehere View Post
use some finer paper on them feet mate and try to keep the sanding lines all in the same direction

are the top corners of the front plate battered for the look your after?
Well, the idea of projects with the theme "military" is exactly leaving some details with respect to "used in extreme conditions in the war" as if he had actually been scraped, scratched, thrown to the ground, shot by bullets or is, as if he had actually "been in a battlefield."

So some details, in my view, have to have this result more "unfinished" without a good finish, and without the care to detail, as to spend an idea "I was led to war and came back," he has to stay with "battle scars."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfie View Post
I wonder if some acid etching would serve as a better look than the engraving you have now?

The benefit of etching is that you have a much more precise control over what is or is not etched.

I'm just not sure if the look would match what you are after...
Do not know if this procedure would be fine in aluminum, but I would prefer even one engraving procedure, which I can then repeat and redo the details if I need to.

But anyway, thanks for the tips
Old 20-11-13, 04:57 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos Viegas View Post
Well, the idea of projects with the theme "military" is exactly leaving some details with respect to "used in extreme conditions in the war" as if he had actually been scraped, scratched, thrown to the ground, shot by bullets or is, as if he had actually "been in a battlefield."

So some details, in my view, have to have this result more "unfinished" without a good finish, and without the care to detail, as to spend an idea "I was led to war and came back," he has to stay with "battle scars."
this is true and only you know the result your looking for, but if you look at this build, while it to is a military theme the build quality is excellant
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=55532