Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-03-21, 11:02 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I think their aluminum block kits are pretty cool. Way cheaper and comes with everything you need. Only thing I'd get from them. Even make it easy to upgrade by allowing to purchase specific blocks. Not as good performance as copper but still better than air.

I remember xspc being the thing. Never hear anything about them anymore.

Old 18-03-21, 01:35 AM

yes angrygoldfish i missunderstood you there .......bitspower, aquatuning, monsoon, xspc absolutely none of them offer the choice and range that ek do and whenever i buy a block i allways use their site to check compatability and find any instructions i want i wouldnt call it flashy just well done and very user friendly a good business model really.........the other problem i find with other brands is a shortage of pieces so its hard to match everything whereas ek got that down 2 i think phanteks are doing good stuff a little more expensive but looks quality and can match eks production
Old 18-03-21, 08:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
EK's biggest problem is quality control, always has been. Stuff slips through the cracks with that company, especially their GPU blocks. Their CPU blocks tend to be good, their fittings aren't bad (use those myself sometime), but their GPU blocks are crap, a Heatkiller GPU block on ANY GPU will stomp a hole in the face of the comparable EK block, performance wise.

EKs only real positive is availability. It certainly is NOT quality, and me and about 1,000,000 other water coolers will attest to that.
ive bought EKWB since 2008 and never had any issues with them at all. I would prefer BP but I have to go with what is available in my area. I splashed out once on BP and had them shipped to Norway. I ended up paying 40% extra in costs.

My biggest gripe is that I dont see innovation with EK blocks, yet the costs continue to rise. I prefer their looks over most others because I dont need flashy brushed alumnium, angular acrylic or some fancy design. I like simple, unflashy looks. There is no way that they deserve to be price in the €180euro range for one block though...

This is where EK have the advantage in my opinion. Presence. If thats all you can get, then they can almost charge what they want. And when their sales are tripple that of the next competitor (triple just being an example to make a point) then their QA is going to fall flat unless they start divesting more budget to quality assurance and RMA. I dont see that happening in this day and age. Its all about the bottom line.
Old 18-03-21, 07:20 PM
OC3D Crew

I've used a few EK blocks along side aqua computer and koolance and apart from the rushed abomination that was the first threadripper block they released, I've had no issues at all. The block on my GTX780 has been in constant use for 7 years and has always done a good job. I have always liked their plain acetal + copper blocks.