Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 21-09-20, 06:16 PM
OC3D Elite

You should be fine then. EVGA usually always get blocks.

It's companies like KFA2 and Inno3D I would avoid tbh.

From the sounds of it you will need to put on a naughty VBIOS if you want anything more than the card can do already. And you will need to shunt mod it too etc to get around the power limitations.

However, even if you don't gain much by going water there are the other clear advantages. It will live a much happier life (especially the VRAM) and will last longer, whilst making practically no noise at all.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 21-09-20, 06:37 PM
OC3D Crew

Not confident on the shunt mod, would a vbios not work alone?

Either way I'm a bit if an EVGA fanboy...
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | HP Omen 27i, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 21-09-20, 06:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
Not confident on the shunt mod, would a vbios not work alone?

Either way I'm a bit if an EVGA fanboy...
Either way you are going to void the warranty tbh.

I like EVGA stuff. Well, their GPUs and their overclocking ETC. Their mobos are a nightmare though.

No doubt someone will say I am being negative, but the world record came in today on the 3080. It was 7% faster than a 2080ti under LN2. However, it was also over 500mhz slower.

I think their next gen is going to be called Hopper, I think I will hold out for that now. Not that I am about to slap anything under a pot but yeah...

I wouldn't bother with either the bios or the shunt mods. Like I said, it will void the warranty and GDDR6X is still very new (and we all know what happened with GDDR6 at launch right?). Sorry, am I being negative or just trying to save people and help them?

So all sarcasm aside yeah, be careful dude. Let the tech settle in and make sure everything is kosher first. Like, before you even fit a WB. Just use it on air for a while and make sure all is well.

High clocks on Ampere are just not going to be possible. Well, not compared to Turing, like. Hopper though could well put a finish to AMD once and for all if it's 5nm TSMC. I am genuinely very excited about that.

Mind you, hopefully once AMD finally nail Intel on everything (including the only hope they have left, clock speed) they will finally start putting more cash into RTG.

We can but hope !

Oh and whatever you do NEVER put liquid metal on a PCB. It will eat it for you. Either get it soldered so you can remove it and make it look stock or just don't. Louis Rossman did a great video explaining it all... *digs*

Old 21-09-20, 06:58 PM
OC3D Crew

OK, thanks for info.
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | HP Omen 27i, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 21-09-20, 07:03 PM
OC3D Elite

No worries. As I say, under water it will live a much happier life. I've never ever had a card die under water, not even running at the limits. SMD should not be running at over 100c. I don't care how they are rated they just won't last.

Old 21-09-20, 07:05 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
No worries. As I say, under water it will live a much happier life. I've never ever had a card die under water, not even running at the limits. SMD should not be running at over 100c. I don't care how they are rated they just won't last.
SMD? The VRMs etc?

Wonder how much a waterblock improves the temps on the FE card.

Once of the reasons I went for the FTW were the extra sensors.

Am a bit of a temps/read-out addict.

Old 21-09-20, 07:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
SMD? The VRMs etc?

Wonder how much a waterblock improves the temps on the FE card.

Once of the reasons I went for the FTW were the extra sensors.

Am a bit of a temps/read-out addict.
Surface mounted devices aye. Memory, the core, resistors etc. Even if you don't overclock cooling them properly massively increases the life cycle of the product.

Usually SMDs are designed to last the warranty period, after which they don't really care. So longer warranties are good also, if you don't have upgraditis.

But yeah, water cooling has many benefits aside those of the whole thing just running much cooler and quieter. Heat is the enemy of every electrical component ever made.

I try not to obsess over temps tbh. I just watch my coolant temps now, and my voltages (glance down and check, made sure they are analogue so much more reliable than software) and I am good. I think trust is a big part of it, which is something I do love about water cooling. Once you know the thing isn't about to leak or explode there's a calmness there.