Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 12-08-17, 07:57 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
The letters and numbers are laser etched into the metal, A dry erase marker and then some iso isn't going to do the metal any damage, This is such a huge over reaction and a perfect example of todays "I'm offended" culture.
I was just raised to have manners. Is that so rare these days then? (in fact, don't answer that I already know)

__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-08-17, 08:02 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 13,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
The letters and numbers are laser etched into the metal, A dry erase marker and then some iso isn't going to do the metal any damage, This is such a huge over reaction and a perfect example of todays "I'm offended" culture.
I'm not offended? I am just saying it seems kinda rude to draw on it. Doesn't bother me personally. I don't see anyone here overreacting tbh. I mean I guess when you get free expensive crap all the time drawing on something that other people have to spend hundreds of dollars on to get changes your perspective. Which is why he did it
__________________
"I would have followed you, my Captain, my King."
- Boromir's last words.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-08-17, 08:13 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 12,096
Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I was just raised to have manners. Is that so rare these days then? (in fact, don't answer that I already know)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'm not offended? I am just saying it seems kinda rude to draw on it. Doesn't bother me personally. I don't see anyone here overreacting tbh. I mean I guess when you get free expensive crap all the time drawing on something that other people have to spend hundreds of dollars on to get changes your perspective. Which is why he did it
Sorry I didn't mean you two, Brain fart, I meant the comments in the video, I thought it but never typed it out
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-08-17, 08:14 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,965
No worries. I wasn't talking to you brah, just summarising the world in general these days.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13-08-17, 02:00 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
BTW before this all gets out of hand.

These guys seem to think they are like, I dunno, famous or something? at the end of the day they are just techies the same as us. I don't quite get the whole "I wanna be a Youtube star !" thing. Call me old fashioned but I think some one who is famous needs to be talented, or, have some sort of star quality.

Seriously, the way they talk among themselves it's like they think they are royalty or something. They're not. They are just tech enthusiasts and there are a million more like them. They don't do anything special and they don't have any particular talents other than the understanding of computers and how they work, which is almost a given these days so long as you don't have a potato for a brain.

You tell me the last time you saw a scathing review, where the "reviewer" had the balls to tell the truth and say "Wow, this Razer mouse (just an example calm ya batty) is actually plastic Chinese crap !".

That would be none of them. Not a single one. Vega is a dog's mess in a pretty dress, let's see how many of them actually have the balls to call it. I bet that would be none.
I agree with this, and I apply it to TTL as well. So many here laud Tom and I don't get it. He's just a dude doing his best. He's not special.

But at the same time, you could flip the adage around and say that all these reviewers that are afraid to spill the beans do so because they are humans and fallible. They make mistakes. I've read reviews by Tom where he praised a product and I could not see why. Yet you guys (and myself to a lesser degree) take his word as the only word on the net. I've seen folks say it: 'I am only go to TTL because he's the only one I can trust.' Not to me he's not. I trust TTL like I trust any human—with a big pinch of salt.

I don't trust you, Alien, when you say "Vega is a dog's mess in a pretty dress." I completely disagree with such flagrant over-dramatisation. It's an arrogant and ignorant statement since we do not even have the final product. If it ends up being bad, then we'll judge it based on that. But to claim guilty before we've seen the full gamut of evidence is why films like 12 Angry Men are so poignant 70 years later.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 13-08-17, 02:14 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,965
FWIW I trust Tom more than pretty much any one else. It's rare that he makes mistakes, but when he does he is as upfront at admitting them as any one else. More so, in fact. I don't like it when these reviewers throw strops. That is what annoys me the most. TBH? I think it's more of an American thing, because they are raised on stuff like Jerry Springer so learn at a young age to "go nuclear" as soon as something annoys them.

They can also be terribly hypocritical. This is something else Tom avoids. Tom is not really invovled with this "elite group" of reviewers and I like that. Like I said, they think they are celebrities or something.

When I say hypocritical I mean look at Linus's face when he talks about how Bit-Tech got a jump on every one else and reviewed the I9 early. Or was it an I7? I dunno man, so many CPUs come out lately my head is spinning ! any way, his face said it all. He looked super peeved. However, the look of joy on his face as he was on the stage at that event, and the bragging about how he had the new Alienware and could therefore bench TR before any one else? yeah, that is what annoys me. They will trample all over each other where they can, cutting throats as they go.

As I said, I trust Tom more than any one else. He may not be fully open when he does reviews (as I said, if you do that you end up a failed journo like Stuart Campbell) but, if you ask him straight out on his forum or whatever he will give you a honest reply. He's stopped me buying a few mutton steaks that dressed themselves as lamb over the years.

As for Vega? that's my opinion. The silver ones are gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous. The packaging on the reviewer cards is stunning, and the extras a nice touch. But it's not a good product. This is not Ryzen. It's late, badly delayed, the hype train has derailed etc etc. Those are just the facts. It's (the 56) hardly any better than a 1070 and is set to cost what? £400. So it does not represent good value either, plus it chows down on leccy (maybe not so much as the 64 but still FAR too much for a modern GPU) and it runs hot.

So what makes a good GPU? pretty much none of that. That is what we look at when we look at GPUs.

So yeah, it's a mess. There's just no getting away from it sadly. I wanted AMD to give Nvidia a slap just like they have Intel, but it just hasn't happened.

I don't think it's over dramatised either, because this is a serious launch that we have waited two years for. Many want to buy AMD to avoid Nvidia but even those people are buying up 1080Tis and 1080s.

As I stated before, this card will do well selling to miners. *BUT* as some one pointed out today on another forum, when the bubble pops the market will be absolutely flooded with dirt cheap 4XX cards and 5XX cards, killing any new sales for AMD.

Some one told me about this mining farm in Iceland that uses 25,000 GPUs. Everything AMD has been able to produce, basically. But when the bubble bursts (and it will) the market will so so saturated with second hand GPUs that it would be nuts to pay the high price for a new one.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 13-08-17, 02:58 PM
Korreborg's Avatar
Korreborg Korreborg is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Viborg - Denmark
Posts: 525


But there will just come another currency to mine.
__________________
[I7-4790K @ 4.5Ghz][ASUS Z87I-PRO][EVGA 1080TI FE][Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400MHz][Corsair 250D][Corsair AX860i]
[Samsung 850 PRO 128][Crucial MX100 512GB][WD 2TB][ASUS PG278QR][Logitech G510s and G502][Steelseries Wireless H]
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13-08-17, 03:06 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,965
Yup and then it dies out again. TBH? it seems AMD have finally found a good match for GCN. I mean crap, when it's supported properly in gaming they have a nice jump over Nvidia. But that, until it is fully supported (the 12th of never) is about all they have going for them.

It's why Fermi was so amazing at folding and why the 58xx were so poo. Because Fermi was a massive kitchen sink.

So yeah, I hope this keeps going at least to keep AMD in the GPU game so they can pick themselves up, dust themselves down and continue trying. Navi is a bloody great idea, let's hope it gets supported.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 13-08-17, 03:24 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
FWIW I trust Tom more than pretty much any one else. It's rare that he makes mistakes, but when he does he is as upfront at admitting them as any one else. More so, in fact. I don't like it when these reviewers throw strops. That is what annoys me the most. TBH? I think it's more of an American thing, because they are raised on stuff like Jerry Springer so learn at a young age to "go nuclear" as soon as something annoys them.

They can also be terribly hypocritical. This is something else Tom avoids. Tom is not really invovled with this "elite group" of reviewers and I like that. Like I said, they think they are celebrities or something.
That's an aspect I really dig about OC3D. It's not part of any clique or ground of reviewers that all chum together and swap stories. It's independent and free of pretension. And it's quite possible that is due in part to Tom being English.

Quote:
When I say hypocritical I mean look at Linus's face when he talks about how Bit-Tech got a jump on every one else and reviewed the I9 early. Or was it an I7? I dunno man, so many CPUs come out lately my head is spinning ! any way, his face said it all. He looked super peeved. However, the look of joy on his face as he was on the stage at that event, and the bragging about how he had the new Alienware and could therefore bench TR before any one else? yeah, that is what annoys me. They will trample all over each other where they can, cutting throats as they go.
I noticed that too, but I wouldn't let it stop me from watching LTT if something of theirs interested me. One, or even two, fowl-ups doesn't nullify all future content.

Quote:
As for Vega? that's my opinion. The silver ones are gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous. The packaging on the reviewer cards is stunning, and the extras a nice touch. But it's not a good product. This is not Ryzen. It's late, badly delayed, the hype train has derailed etc etc. Those are just the facts. It's (the 56) hardly any better than a 1070 and is set to cost what? £400. So it does not represent good value either, plus it chows down on leccy (maybe not so much as the 64 but still FAR too much for a modern GPU) and it runs hot.
There are rumours that RX Vega 64 and 56 will draw less power and be cooler than Frontier Edition, but I can't remember the specifics so we'll just have to wait and see. Like you I predict Vega 64 will be inefficient and late. But that doesn't mean it's not similar to Ryzen—at least in part.

Imagine if Intel had released Skylake as a 6-core CPU range when they could have. Or if Intel had dropped prices on their 8 and 10 CPU's to a reasonable amount and given all HEDT CPU's proper TIM and PCI-e lanes. Ryzen would actually be behind right about now and Threadripper would not be the complete pwner that it is. They'd have to play the price war with Intel releasing a 1600X at £150 and a 16-core CPU for £600. They can't do that with Nvidia because Nvidia will just drop their prices. Intel are too stubborn and arrogant for that. So my point is, Vega might not be a success, but not solely because it's late or because it's "dog poo", it's also because Pascal was a huge success. Ryzen is a huge success because Intel are lazy. Nvidia have their faults, but they are far and away better than Intel. Ryzen is great, but it's not perfect. If Intel hadn't rested on their laurels and shady business tactics, Ryzen and Threadripper would have been two years late to the game. Ryzen's success is therefore a product of Intel's failure. Vega will likely not be a failure due to Pascal's success.

Now, I've said that before and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. The idea of a product standing on its own merits in such a competitive space that constantly evolves is obviously a fallacy, but there is legitimacy to it when you focus on it in the right way.

Quote:
So what makes a good GPU? pretty much none of that. That is what we look at when we look at GPUs.

So yeah, it's a mess. There's just no getting away from it sadly. I wanted AMD to give Nvidia a slap just like they have Intel, but it just hasn't happened.
Until I see the final product, I'm not taking your word for it.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 13-08-17, 03:38 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 8,965
Well putting "1000w PSU recommended" on their water cooled card doesn't exactly fill me with hope. Hearing rumours 650w is an absolute minimum, and not a good idea. I dread to think what it will do when loaded up.

I just don't see them pulling off any miracles.
__________________
He used to do surgery
For girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins




Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 01:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.