Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 18-06-17, 10:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
I remember from my Hi Fi days valve amps being very very very expensive but very good.

I wish I still had my Linn Sondek setup from the early 80s, that setup could put anything digital to shame.
I had a Mauritian mate in the 80's whose brother owned a Linn Sondek it was awesome we could here it clearly 300 meters away down the street and the clarity too just wow

NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 19-06-17, 08:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah I have heard a lot of Linn stuff. For three years back in the 90s I worked for Rogers

http://www.markhennessy.co.uk/rogers/

Making the speakers on that link ^ for the BBC and collectors with lots of cash haha. We used to have all sorts of other stuff there for testing etc.

That was my setup back in around 1998. I had a Rogers E40A valve amp running my mids and highs and a Soundmaster VZ running at 2ohms for about 2000w into a Cerwin Vega Stroker 18" in a B36 Intense! cabinet.

The amp (better pics)

That was an expensive amp. About *cough* six *cough* grand IIRC. It was one of my parting gifts when the place closed down and moved to Japan. The Japs always had a really keen interest in british audio gear, so buying Rogers was high on their list of priorities. TBH I think some billionaire just decided he wanted to buy the LS35A cheaper so bought the factory lmao.

BTW guys already hawking my next project..

See this?

http://theproaudiowebblog.com/beyerd...a2-review.html

Well look at the price. Then add a little soy sauce and....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HiFi-A2-PR...-/272340072534

And I think I gots my next project. You can even get the DAC board for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HiFi-PCM27...DER:SIMPLEITEM

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 30-06-17, 09:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Update. So I have been humming and harring about what to do with the shell. It's quite odd as it goes together like a jigsaw puzzle. If I plastic welded it (the mid section) then I would never be able to get it off to put a finish on it. You can't plastic weld painted edges, so I had to come up with a plan. I plastic welded the front to the two sides in the end, and the back still slots in. This brought its own problems though, I had to basically cover the front and two sides as one piece after sanding any sticking out edges smooth.

The back is its own entity and I decided to go with brushed black for the front, back and sides (so the mid section).

I am waiting on glue so that I can put the veneer on the top. I have a few small parts to paint black too, so I will get those all lined up to be done together.

The top and bottom each have four bolt holes that go into brass posts. They are like motherboard posts, but they are M3. So I have ordered 10 gold bolts from China (£2.80 for 10)

And of course it needs some feet, because when you put the bolts in it then sits on them and I don't want it scratching my desk.

They are very small and perfect for the project. I was going for the art deco look any way, and there are Georgian influences in art deco.

I will get some pics of the shell progress tomorrow

Old 04-07-17, 12:02 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so here is where I am at. Firstly I have covered the sides and the back, and also veneered the top with the walnut burr.

As you can see, the feet are in. Very happy with the walnut, now I gotta hit it with a ton of clear.

Old 11-07-17, 11:32 AM
OC3D Elite

OK been working on this every other day for the past while.. It's been a test of patience tbh. The veneer was full of pin sized holes (you can't really see it unless you shine light through it) and the clear was producing bubbles when painted on. So I have had to give it about seven coats and do some sanding. Problem is the surface of the veneer is not straight it's very bumpy and wavy, so it caused flat spots in the clear. It's not perfect but I am happy enough with it. It will have a decal etc on any way, so the worst will not be visible.

Today I painted the inner valve holes black. Still got to paint the outer edge black.

Won't go into the final design, but it's a bit complicated and will take me a few days yet at least. The gold bolts have not arrived yet, so I could not assemble it any way.