Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 03-08-17, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

So this project has taken a bit of a turn. For starters due to EK's Fluid Gaming lineup I'm now going to go for a full loop which means the title "Simplicity" no longer really fits. The project is now "DELTA_ZERO_3" based on my call-sign from my days playing Halo, that and I lost track of version numbers a long time ago.

What it means is that I'm back to design stage. Annoying, but my experience with the original "build" has been beneficial. For one it's been great to have a physical representation to understand how it all goes together; being able to take measurements and mock up has been a great learning experience. Secondly it's proven to me that my metalworking skills are... lacking the refinement (yeah, that sounds good) that I'd want this case to ultimately achieve. I will work on those skills elsewhere but this case will be made by a contractor.

So here's how the case currently looks:

Open Top:

Open Bottom:

The case without feet is 500mm wide, 375mm deep and 132mm thick. It's fairly simple design; 360mm radiator in the front, a short EK-SPC pump/res in the back right corner, SFX power supply in the back left, I/O on the left side of the case, disc access on the right, motherboard is central with a parallel GPU mounted. The backplate is fully ventilated to allow good airflow.

I have passed all of my SketchUp drawings to a colleague to convert them into a format that our contractor can use. If people want to see the drawings for each individual component (which includes the Storage and Optical Drive brackets) I can upload them too.

Old 03-08-17, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Images corrected. Apologies.
Old 29-08-17, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Just ordered a Ryzen 5 1600, a Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 and a Sapphire Vega 56.

Just waiting on the Vega to come back into stock then all three will be on the way. I'll mount these on the original test rig while the case design is finalised and manufactured.
Old 29-08-17, 02:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Nice one man. Would have got a different board myself but hey, so long as you are happy with it

How much was the GPU?

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 29-08-17, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Nice one man. Would have got a different board myself but hey, so long as you are happy with it

How much was the GPU?
The board was more of an aesthetic choice; logically I know I didn't need to go higher than the ASUS B350-f. I'm planning an EK Fluid Gaming loop though so the black and brushed aluminium look will match really, really well.

The GPU was £379.99. A little pricier than I was hoping for but still cheaper than a GTX 1070 that will fit a waterblock; last I checked they were all at around £400. I know I could've stretched to a GTX 1080 for £450 but I just really wanted an AMD/AMD build this time round.

I bit the bullet and did it on finance too. Not a happy decision but I kind of came to the conclusion that if I didn't take advantage of Vega's "introductory pricing" and carried on waiting as more of my saving are siphoned off for "family responsibilities" I'd just get more and more unhappy and eventually lash out. It's the lesser of two evils and as the cost is spread out I was happier to go a little higher on price to have the rig I'm truly happy with.
Old 29-08-17, 02:34 PM
OC3D Elite

That's not too bad really. You may be better off with the Gigabyte going into the future. Pretty sure it will have more "buff" phases, and the second gen of Ryzen may overclock really well and thus be better on higher end boards

If you don't need a 1080 there's not really much point in buying one tbh. I noticed my old Titan XM was right at the limit of comfortable, that is the only reason I changed it. Could have easily gotten another year out of it but whatever

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 29-08-17, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
That's not too bad really. You may be better off with the Gigabyte going into the future. Pretty sure it will have more "buff" phases, and the second gen of Ryzen may overclock really well and thus be better on higher end boards

If you don't need a 1080 there's not really much point in buying one tbh. I noticed my old Titan XM was right at the limit of comfortable, that is the only reason I changed it. Could have easily gotten another year out of it but whatever
Exactly. My next upgrade will be the monitor which will either target 1080p120 or 1440p60 both of which are well within the Vega 56's sweet spot.

[EDIT] Just got the shipping confirmation email. Tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a new AMD gaming rig!