Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 20-07-17, 03:50 PM

Dylan stripped down the Corsair AF120's and prepped them for painting. I made him watch Bill Owens tutorial vid on the 120's on youtube first, what a great vid simple and accurate so good a 10 year old could do it Dylan then gave the fans 3 coats of primer.

Time for a bit of streetfighter 2 while we wait for the primer to harden before two coats of chrome and 2 coats of clear coat.

Old 21-07-17, 02:01 PM

Important lessons learned today (always a school day modding) Dont use clear coat on top of a chrome effect. As you can see the rad does not have a clear coat sprayed on and looks much more chrome the fans on the other hand had 3 coats of primer two of chrome. We then added one clear coat on top and as you can see it has dulled it to a flat silver at best. The clear coat does create a nice gloss but not the desired effect for this mod.

Back to sanding and starting again..

Old 21-07-17, 02:09 PM
Bettyswollocks

Really love how the young ones are getting involved in your build, it's epic to see and the build is coming along nicely.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 22-07-17, 01:06 PM

After a LOT of trials getting the chrome look as close as possible I think we are getting there. Alphacool rad with 2 X AF120's.

Really hard work getting chrome to look okay out of a can, a warning to anyone trying it do not use a clear coat on top or it will dull the finish badly.

Old 22-07-17, 05:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Very industrial

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 22-07-17, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Really love how the young ones are getting involved in your build, it's epic to see and the build is coming along nicely.
Youtube can be useful at times, he set off watching West Coast customs and as cars were a little out of our budget pc's were an easy solution. He very much enjoys cable sleeving which I didn't think he would get into but I think he just likes sitting doing things together regardless of what it is.
Old 23-07-17, 10:22 AM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmodz View Post
Youtube can be useful at times, he set off watching West Coast customs and as cars were a little out of our budget pc's were an easy solution. He very much enjoys cable sleeving which I didn't think he would get into but I think he just likes sitting doing things together regardless of what it is.
Really nice to hear, I too enjoy sleeving it's quite theraputic I find.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 23-07-17, 08:33 PM
OC3D Crew

Btw it's Blade Runner 2049, not Bladerunner 2048. Just saying in case you plan on putting that on the case somehow
Old 24-07-17, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolagarf View Post
Btw it's Blade Runner 2049, not Bladerunner 2048. Just saying in case you plan on putting that on the case somehow
Crickey well spotted! Thankfully no wasn't going to write Blade Runner anywhere on it, there is a pannel free which I was going to pop Nexus 6 on (will sanity check at the time incase i put nexus 5 :P )

Cheers dude.
Old 03-08-17, 11:45 AM

Well been a week or so since we posted any updates, things have been changing behind the scenes with two offers of sponsorship for the build so the hope of finishing this with the boy in the holiday is on hold while we wait for some new parts to come.

The motherboard armour is something that wont change however so we have set to work planning and crafting. The cables will all screw into the housings after they are drilled into the acrylic plate. on the under side of the armour i'm using a rubber sealant just to make sure non of the fittings can come into contact with the board.