Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 22-01-19, 01:30 PM
OC3D Elite

PNY are fine. I believe they provided many blowers for manufacturers. Might be wrong, but they have a big input in the market that people didnt realise.

id take the pny card over the overpriced asus Turbo one.

Old 22-01-19, 01:50 PM
OC3D Elite

I would not want a 20 series card on a blower.

On Maxwell it was fine. It just about did the job. On Pascal it was starting to get to the point where it was struggling, and if you wanted any overclock *at all* out of the card you needed water, or a after market cooler.

On Volta it simply was not adequate, which is why Nvidia have now changed their design to a dual fan cooler with a larger heatsink.

Personally I would now avoid blowers as much as you can. I know some one disagrees with me, but IMO you have not seen RT really pushing the cards hard.. Yet. Let's see what Metro Exodus does to them, then rethink a little. I think once these cards are stressed hard a blower will not be sufficient at all.

PNY don't make the blowers, that's Manli http://www.manli.com/en

They make all of Nvidia's stock coolers, as well as a few others. It is rare to see Manli branded cards, but OCUK sometimes has them and sell them as "OCUK" cards.

Old 22-01-19, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah PNY are a reasonable AIB brand I've just never seen that etailer before and thats £100 less than identical models from other brands using the same manli cooler on other etailers, but yeah, RTX2080 has a 215W TDP, which it won't normally hit in gaming at stock but yeah RT & DLSS and the like would certainly push it closer and overclocking could push it well beyond and really those blowers are only good for 150W cards I'd say, NVidia's FE ones used a big vapour chamber that allowed them to still be quite reasonable upto about 200W-250W at least in bursts but these direct contact aluminium fin ones aren't quite as good.
Edit: Nvm the RTX2080 ones use a large vapour chamber too from what I've seen so it might be reasonable, at least on some of the models not sure if that's all.
Old 22-01-19, 02:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I would not want a 20 series card on a blower.

On Maxwell it was fine. It just about did the job. On Pascal it was starting to get to the point where it was struggling, and if you wanted any overclock *at all* out of the card you needed water, or a after market cooler.

On Volta it simply was not adequate, which is why Nvidia have now changed their design to a dual fan cooler with a larger heatsink.

Personally I would now avoid blowers as much as you can. I know some one disagrees with me, but IMO you have not seen RT really pushing the cards hard.. Yet. Let's see what Metro Exodus does to them, then rethink a little. I think once these cards are stressed hard a blower will not be sufficient at all.

PNY don't make the blowers, that's Manli http://www.manli.com/en

They make all of Nvidia's stock coolers, as well as a few others. It is rare to see Manli branded cards, but OCUK sometimes has them and sell them as "OCUK" cards.
My gainward 1080ti Golden sample had a blower and it clocked higher than the FE card as well as stayed 10C lower. So they are not all bad. Peaked at 71C. I think having that temp when power and temp targets were maxed was quite good.

ref: manli, I thought it was someone like that. Couldnt quite remember who.
Old 22-01-19, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the replies again guys, info is brilliant and opening my eyes allot to what I can consider as I was sure a blower was the better option.

The blowers on the market at the moment none are catching my fancy where as there are some lovely open air. I'll be sure to keep looking and as long as money permits I will have allot more options than the two cards I was originally looking at.

Thanks again guys, cleared quite a few bits up. Thermals not being an issue and no real need to over clock puts me in a much better spot. Specially knowing that the considerably more expensive cards pre overclocked are unlikely to get you much in the way of noticeable gains.

1440p and a more consistent higher FPS with Gsync of course I'll be over the moon with. (4k as nice as it may be I think is too over rated until cards can give you higher FPS).

����
Old 22-01-19, 03:15 PM
OC3D Elite

It's worth noting a lot of cards, especially the beefier ones, are often 2.5(Double bracket with cooler exceeding into third slot area) or full triple slot for the high end RTX models, so it's worth making sure you get a true 2 slot model where the heatsink/fans exceed no further than the double bracket to make sure the fans have breathing room.
Old 22-01-19, 03:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Blowers are still better for ITX/crap air flow/SLi set ups but you should always get the beefiest cooler you can.

Personally speaking? I would avoid PNY. They are not very honest when it comes to warranty terms, and I have seen two chums turned down on warranty after the first year was up. And that was their Lifetime* Warranty.

* The lifetime of production of that exact card. So about two weeks.

Old 23-01-19, 12:49 PM

Cheers again,

I didn't think about the thickness of the cooler. I think I've got quite a bit of clearance to the side panel luckily so should have enough room for breathing.

PNY are not sounding like a good buy from what I'm hearing, here and a few other places I've looked at in the past too!

Lee
Old 23-01-19, 01:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemundo View Post
Cheers again,

I didn't think about the thickness of the cooler. I think I've got quite a bit of clearance to the side panel luckily so should have enough room for breathing.

PNY are not sounding like a good buy from what I'm hearing, here and a few other places I've looked at in the past too!

Lee
PNY are very much a server/workstation company and always have been. They do make Quadros and stuff for workstations, and are far more involved in the professional sector. This never tends to translate well into gaming, and their cards are, well, fugly.

Sticking things like XLR8 on their coolers only used to compound this. And fake warranties too really don't get you a good name, especially when the card gets returned and they tell you to naff off.

Unless stated otherwise most cards only have a 1 year warranty. So be careful. When you decide what you want just run it by the guys here and we'll steer you right

Old 23-01-19, 01:09 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Unless stated otherwise most cards only have a 1 year warranty. So be careful. When you decide what you want just run it by the guys here and we'll steer you right
This prompted me o check Nvidia's warranty as I bought a 2080 direct. Surprisingly it's 3 years.
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT