Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 12-04-11, 05:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

TBH, there is no point, I assume it must be a marketing ploy. The equivalent SATA II WD drive will be just as fast.
Agreed. It won't make a difference, all the reviews and tests I've read showed them to be virtually identical. Unless you're running an SSD, just get a SATA 2 version and save yourself some money.

Old 12-04-11, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't see why you wouldn't like the H70! That thing looks insane, and it has a lot of reviews and benchmarks showing it has quality performance. Now, as for water cooling, I don't know anything about it, and I'm pretty sure I would fail at hooking it up. I am 100% sure I'm going with the Gainward 570 now.

Also, which of the Cathodes are UV? Only the ones marked UV, or all of them, they just haven't been bothered? They all look the same, that's all. The response of the community on this website is insane.
Old 12-04-11, 08:00 PM
OC3D Crew

The H70 works fine under instant stress, but over time it can't keep the heat.

Say you have an overclock that the H70 can keep at 60C, as you leave your PC running your CPU will get hotter as the coolant in the H70 gets hotter and the rad given can't dissipate the heat the coolant is picking up.

So for a decent length of usage the H70 is pants. You either need to get a good water-cooling setup or good air cooling setup, these all in one kits have not yet proven to be brilliant over time.
MSI GTX 580 Lightning : Asus Xonar Xense
NZXT Phantom : Corsair HX850W
115GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe
Old 12-04-11, 08:09 PM
OC3D Crew

With regards to the H70, as well as what Grizzly said, for that price you can buy a D14 which is quieter and will give better temps. I get why you like the looks of it though.

With regards to the UV lighting, yes you have to buy the ones that say UV on them. Don't even be fooled by the purple cathodes. If your unsure why this is you might want to look up UV lighting on wikipedia or something.

With regards to the GTX 570 Phantom, good call

Hope this helps mate.
Old 12-04-11, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

The H70 works fine under instant stress, but over time it can't keep the heat.

Say you have an overclock that the H70 can keep at 60C, as you leave your PC running your CPU will get hotter as the coolant in the H70 gets hotter and the rad given can't dissipate the heat the coolant is picking up.

So for a decent length of usage the H70 is pants. You either need to get a good water-cooling setup or good air cooling setup, these all in one kits have not yet proven to be brilliant over time.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I'm going to stick with it for looks sake! Plus, I'm sure it'll cool my CPU @ 4.6Ghz fine. I think on Toms hardware they had the 2500k @ 4.8 on stock cooling until they swapped to the 4.6. Worse comes to worse I can pawn it off to a friend and buy a Cooler Master V6GT
Old 13-04-11, 05:01 AM
OC3D Elite

One thing with UV lights, don't bother unless you have some UV reactive goodies in your build. Also only ones marked as UV will give the nice UV glow, but if you have some LEDs than the glow from UV reactive tubes and w/e becomes a lot less noticeable.
Old 13-04-11, 05:11 AM
OC3D Crew

I myself dig the H60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015&cm_re=h6035-181-015Product

Of course you'll want something better if your pushing your chip to the limit. But for a moderate overclock, it will do just fine. It looks the business with the clean black look I love. But as someone else said....shhhhhh

Corsair GS600
XFX Double D 7950 OC
MSI P67A-G43
Crucial M4 128gb
Seagate Barracuda 1tb storage
Old 13-04-11, 05:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post

I myself dig the H60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015&cm_re=h6035-181-015Product

Of course you'll want something better if your pushing your chip to the limit. But for a moderate overclock, it will do just fine. It looks the business with the clean black look I love. But as someone else said....shhhhhh
I just want the fans on the H60, if the tech specs are right, those fans are insane.

@Endzy you might want to consider replacing the stock fans on the H70, Noctuas would be good, Gentle Typhoons would also work, but they are fairly expensive. The stock fans are fairly loud when running at max from what I've heard.
Old 13-04-11, 05:23 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeals View Post

I just want the fans on the H60, if the tech specs are right, those fans are insane.

@Endzy you might want to consider replacing the stock fans on the H70, Noctuas would be good, Gentle Typhoons would also work, but they are fairly expensive. The stock fans are fairly loud when running at max from what I've heard.
Yeah they kind of went back to the drawing board with the new fans, although I don't think they are sold seperate. There are better ones to buy. If it came with TWO fans, id be hard pressed to not recommend it every day. Ive seen the H60 on the egg in the $60's after MIR every once in awhile...which is something I think is exciting.

But I agree with the other guys, a moderate to heavy overclock, an all in one unit can't cut the mustard. I use the term moderate loosely.
Corsair GS600
XFX Double D 7950 OC
MSI P67A-G43
Crucial M4 128gb
Seagate Barracuda 1tb storage
Old 13-04-11, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeals View Post

Yeah I was going to replace them with 2x 120 Cooler Master Silent Red LEDs. They seem pretty nifty to me, as they're quieter and push more air, not to mention they help with the aesthetics of my case

I think the best part of this all is the only games I even play on my computer are HoN, WoW, CoD4, and BF:BC2 - Going to see some Vsync enabled