Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-10-19, 07:59 PM
News Guru

XFX appears to be prepping a THICCer Navi GPUs - A Triple-Fan RX 5700 XT

Meet the RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra.

Read more about XFX's Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra.

Old 22-10-19, 09:21 PM
Old N Gold

They really screwed up the THICC II, which on paper looked like a good card. PowerColor and MSI absolutely trounced it with their dual fan designs, and the PowerColor one is much thinner and cheaper. It feels like a THICC III is just a slap in the face. "We failed before but NOW we're gonna get it right."
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 23-10-19, 09:59 AM

I really hope this addresses the issues with the THICC II, these look like really nice cards.
I'm waiting for big navi, and would like XFX to be an option.
Old 23-10-19, 01:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
It feels like a THICC III is just a slap in the face. "We failed before but NOW we're gonna get it right."
How so? What's wrong with improving their products?
Old 23-10-19, 05:00 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
It's not the same product. When I first heard about this, I genuinely thought it was a revision to their THICC II. I thought it would be awesome if XFX corrected their design errors. But then I twigged on that II meant dual fan while III would mean triple fan.

The THICC II is not a budget RX 5700 card, but it's a poorly performing one. So what XFX have done is, create a new product after the fact that is supposed to be superior in every way but looking the same. It's like when Nvidia released their 'Super' variants. It made you feel like the original was a stop-gap. It was a tease, a drip feed. "We failed you before, but that wasn't the real product, so it's OK. We were just testing the market with that. The THICC III is and always was our REAL performer". I know I'm extrapolating a lot here, but I hope the point I'm trying to make is still understandable.

I don't want a bigger, more expensive version of a product months after the smaller one failed miserably. If the THICC II was tiny and cheap, fine. But it's not. It had major design flaws. If you can't do that right, why would you expect consumers to pay more just for an extra fan? Every product should be the best it could be given its market. The THICC II didn't appear to be like that at all given the reviews and tear-downs I've seen. Also, PowerColor managed to get a more compact version right, as did other manufacturers.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 23-10-19, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'd lean more on the fact they've learned form their failure, and are acting to resolve.
You'll also notice the THICC II has dropped in price to match reference cards. Is this to clear out stocks? Maybe. But it's also quite good value at the same price as reference.
Old 23-10-19, 05:11 PM

Quote:
It's not the same product. When I first heard about this, I genuinely thought it was a revision to their THICC II. I thought it would be awesome if XFX corrected their design errors. But then I twigged on that II meant dual fan while III would mean triple fan.

The THICC II is not a budget RX 5700 card, but it's a poorly performing one. So what XFX have done is, create a new product after the fact that is supposed to be superior in every way but looking the same. It's like when Nvidia released their 'Super' variants. It made you feel like the original was a stop-gap. It was a tease, a drip feed. "We failed you before, but that wasn't the real product, so it's OK. We were just testing the market with that. The THICC III is and always was our REAL performer". I know I'm extrapolating a lot here, but I hope the point I'm trying to make is still understandable.

I don't want a bigger, more expensive version of a product months after the smaller one failed miserably. If the THICC II was tiny and cheap, fine. But it's not. It had major design flaws. If you can't do that right, why would you expect consumers to pay more just for an extra fan? Every product should be the best it could be given its market. The THICC II didn't appear to be like that at all given the reviews and tear-downs I've seen. Also, PowerColor managed to get a more compact version right, as did other manufacturers.
I get you, but I disagree whit your point. The THICC II has dropped in price almost everywhere (at least here in the UK). I would read that as they're discontinuing the THICC II and replacing it with the THICC III. I hope it's this as it shows their listen to feedback.

Now I may be wrong, but even if I am, the THICC II being the cheap option (same price as reference design currently) and the THICC III being the premium option, is totally fine with me.
Old 24-10-19, 03:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Buying tech and expecting it to stay relevant is inane.
Do your research, buy what suits you best at your price range, and that's pretty much it. By doing that you'll also avoid buying poorly designed cards like THICC II so there's no reason to be upset about them improving it.
And Super release didn't give me any special feels whatsoever, my 2060 at launch price of 370€ was a good deal.
Old 24-10-19, 05:41 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Buying tech and expecting it to stay relevant is inane.
Do your research, buy what suits you best at your price range, and that's pretty much it. By doing that you'll also avoid buying poorly designed cards like THICC II so there's no reason to be upset about them improving it.
And Super release didn't give me any special feels whatsoever, my 2060 at launch price of 370€ was a good deal.
This is not an improvement though. This is an entirely new card. 2 fans vs 3 fans.

Improving it would have been to tweak the small mistakes they made and that GN went into and would have drastically been better. Then they would have called Thicc 2 version 2.

Extending the heatsink to accommodate another fan is not an improvement.
The 2 is a 2.5 slot card.
This 3 is a 2.7 slot card.

The 2 is 11.5 inches long. Which is long already, adding another fan onto that is going to push 12 maybe longer.

It's a different class of card. With NO PROMISE of fixing the same small mistakes they made on the 2.

I am with Goldfish on this one. That being said, I personally don't care what they do to improve it, I just think it's not right to say its essentially a revision.
Old 24-10-19, 01:59 PM
OC3D Elite

It's literally the same GPU with a different cooler while THICC II looks to be getting axed. 2.5 and 2.7 occupy the same number of PCI-E slots.