Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 06-09-17, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Pi TV

In a break from usual PC Building, I have decided to dive into the Raspberry PI Pool.

Before I begin I'd like to pass this warning:

This project involves a CRT (Cathode-Ray-Tube) TV which carries a High Voltage warning (Which can be up to 30kV). Which I strongly advise people take into account, these things are dangerous without proper discharging. I do not advocate any Tom, D*ck or Harry doing something similar without prior experience or qualification of handling CRTs

In short. Do not replicate this idea yourself unless you are experienced or qualified to handle CRTs. Should you choose to make your own, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Now with that out the way
The idea behind this project is that as well as a PC enthusiast I am a very keen game collector, especially anything that predates the millennium. I love playing my original machines on TVs that were available at the time. So to me, hooking a SNES or MegaDrive up to a new TV is heresy. I want to be able to play different consoles on my old TV without having to change console constantly because I don't have space to have multiple consoles out at a time, otherwise I would. So that's where this comes in.

To the gear that will bring this to life

Raspberry PI 3 Model B
Raspberry Pi Power Adapter
Pi Supply Switch
3.5 RCA Jack to Composite Cable
128GB MicroSD Card
Green LED Momentary Switch
Red LED Momentary Switch
Red non-LED momentary Switch
Male to Female USB Type A 30cm Cables
Raspberry Pi Heatsinks
Noctua NF-A4x10 5V 40mm Fan

That is all the stuff I can readily buy, I will still need a few things custom made which I will be designing and sending off.

Here is the TV in question, it's a little Daewoo 14 inch with a VCR built in

Before I can do anything, I gotta get it open to get plenty of measurements and things to avoid which was fairly easy, 2 screws at the top and 2 at the bottom and the whole back slides straight off revealing the old dusty guts which I couldn't resist wiping to see how dusty it is, but it is nearly 20 years old, so it could be worse!

I've hit jackpot with this TV for two things, The flyback transformer (That holds that huge voltage) is on a different circuit to the main motherboard, and mounted no where near it! Still though, gotta avoid touching it even after discharging it, same goes for the anode that is connected to the CRT

Jackpot reason two, the TV's motherboard is secured to a base that just slides out case which will make my life a hell of a lot easier, and safer!

After 20 minutes of being very careful I got the old VCR removed, who knew how many different parts they would have? I expected unscrew the base and it comes out as a unit, but nope, had to remove it bit by bit.

Since I've got it all out, I can begin measuring, I want to use the old screws and mounts the VCR used for the PI but it leaves a huge gap in the middle which can bow and bend, so I'll be adding legs that will sit on the blank parts of the motherboard. The other thing I'm measuring is the VCR's slot, which I will turn into the controller ports as well as the power switch.

Both of these are being worked on now and will add an update in a week to give you all an idea of what they will look like!

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Secondary Rig (Under Repair)
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | RAM TBC | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC | Case TBC
Old 06-09-17, 07:03 PM
Bettyswollocks

Noice! Loved my old CRT days and hooking up the Vic20, C64, Amigas, Nes, Snes, N64, Mastersystem, Megadrive/MegaCD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation.. I love the idea of doing this for ease of setup. Subbed for sure.

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 06-09-17, 07:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Nahh. What you want to do is stick a nice long screwdriver into that flange on the back of the glass. Yes, I actually did that once. No I would never do it again. Good thing I was holding the handle, was one hell of a spark

Looks like a fun project.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 07-09-17, 04:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Well this is some thing different watching for sure
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 07-09-17, 08:14 AM
OC3D Elite

If it all goes quiet, we'll know you've crossed the streams...

Old 07-09-17, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

what a project, I will be keeping an eye on this one.
Old 07-09-17, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Noice! Loved my old CRT days and hooking up the Vic20, C64, Amigas, Nes, Snes, N64, Mastersystem, Megadrive/MegaCD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation.. I love the idea of doing this for ease of setup. Subbed for sure.
Vic20, C64 and Amigas. I envy you mate, I would get one of each but I look at the cost and think, nahh I'll get that later

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Nahh. What you want to do is stick a nice long screwdriver into that flange on the back of the glass. Yes, I actually did that once. No I would never do it again. Good thing I was holding the handle, was one hell of a spark

Looks like a fun project.
Aye that it was, mine did when I discharged it. Gave me a bigger jump than 90% of horror movies I've watched

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post
If it all goes quiet, we'll know you've crossed the streams...
Don't worry, I'll finish it beyond the grave
That being said though, with the way the motherboard comes completely out on its own is a blessing, Only bit I'll be a bit weary of is the mount I'll be installing into the VCR slot, but I'll just be verry careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
Well this is some thing different watching for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
what a project, I will be keeping an eye on this one.
Thanks everyone, I hope it goes well. Luckily the TV still works without the VCR, just says "Emergency" instead of showing a video tape on the OSD.

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | RAM TBC | XFX Radeon HD 6850 | SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC | Case TBC
Old 09-09-17, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Right, so after much measuring, modelling and cursing I finally have the custom parts made up so I can get them sent for printing.

The first is simple, it is the block that will house the USB ports and 2 main power switches. Added a little indicator above each one to identify which port is for which player, like on the N64

Can't do much explaining on why I've done things like this, but it will become obvious when I have them in my hands and can start building.

I did a (quite terrible) edit to show what it will (kind of) look like once it is installed

The second part is a simple cover for the Rear Scart input. I originally intended on removing the SCART from the motherboard and wiring it to face inside, but at the same time, I want to retain as much of the TV's functionality as possible, which I know is ironic considering I've ripped the VCR out. So I just thought, I'll drill some holes to allow the composite ports to connect to the SCART through an adapter then build a cover for it

The left-hand part is completely removable, and will slide into place with the right-hand part which will be attached to the TV

The third part is what took me most of the time, this is the stand that the Pi and Power switch will be mounted to. This will use the standoffs that the VCR used as well as have a pair of legs of its own to sit on two blank areas of the motherboard for extra support. I've decided to cut out a load of polygons to reduce the amount of plastic required to make it which in turn will keep costs down, I can also use it route cables through the gaps, which will keep everything nice and tidy

The black standoffs are the original standoffs the VCR used

Main Rig
Old 09-09-17, 05:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Coool!!

Old 09-09-17, 06:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah that's cool man can't wait to see the printed parts

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly

Tags
crt, lunacy, pi tv, raspberry pi