Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 14-08-15, 03:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Have fun Buddy

Thanks dude. Recently my Pdoc (psychiatrist) changed my pills and has spread them out over the day. This means for the most part I am completely lazy and don't feel motivated to do anything. I'm beginning to settle in now and get used to it though, so hopefully I can stay motivated.

I'm looking forward to ordering the fans and gear I need. It will only take a day or two to complete the transformation but it should be well worth it..

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 14-08-15, 03:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Matey I suffer from "stress reactions" which is a mild personality disorder sometimes I have to take my Medication to sleep as I don't "switch off" so I do understand

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 15-08-15, 12:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Update. So whilst looking at the bionic fans I noticed this.

Hmm.. That looks kinda familiar ! I then realised that it was a rebranded one of these, that I used in restoring Mrs Alien's Alienware.

Here it is in action missing the rubber shroud (I used that elsewhere).

Want to know what's funny? Alphacool charge £12 each for their fans. I just got five of them (pics).

For £5 each. So basically I was going to pay £12 each for the bionics plus £5 each for the gaskets so £17 each. I paid £5.

That, my friends, is what you call a massive branding price hike.

Old 16-08-15, 09:08 AM
OC3D Crew

Given the name of your build I think the flames are quite apt, like rising flames .

I've always liked this case design, quite curious in a good way.

It'll be interesting to see what you do with it.
Old 16-08-15, 11:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Thanks.

I'm currently in talks with a very talented chap about actually doing some renders and getting custom grills made. I forgot that I had one of these left over from my purple rig though.

So I have ordered another and then will probably order two flame grills and do a mixture of skulls and flames.

Old 17-08-15, 03:20 PM
OC3D Elite

I did some more today. OK, so if I follow the PSU I get a molex connector here for "ODD" whatever that means. Now this molex then splits and goes off to the other side of the case for what I assume to be the IO board. However, split molex are fugly so I decided to rewire the PSU when it arrives so there are two correctly sized molex runs. One for "ODD" and one for the IO board. Here is the first one here.

Note - I have already ordered a couple of male MOLEX connectors so that I can replace the white ones. So I took an old loom from a PSU and cut some wires with the connectors on. Removing them isn't possible.

Busted out the tools.

And solder.

And then.

Braid.

And fit the MOLEX connector.

OK so now when the PSU arrives I will simply take a SATA run and remove the wires and connect mine. That will give me a perfectly sized MOLEX run for the ODD.

So basically now I have to measure the existing split MOLEX and make a single MOLEX like this only much longer.

Old 17-08-15, 03:26 PM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I did some more today. OK, so if I follow the PSU I get a molex connector here for "ODD" whatever that means. Now this molex then splits and goes off to the other side of the case for what I assume to be the IO board. H
Wait,

ODD probably means Optical Disk Drive. Quite why they think anyone would seriously have a good ol' molex powered drive in this day and age is before me.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904|240gb+512gb Samsung evo 840| ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 17-08-15, 03:29 PM
OC3D Elite

I use a Molex > 4x Sata lead so I didn't need another cable in my ITX build but yeah other than that I don't see why any sort of HDD or DVD drive needs Molex at this point. Nice for them to include it for the one person that wants to though, I guess?

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 17-08-15, 03:34 PM
OC3D Elite

I have an optical drive fitted but this is not for that. That uses a standard SATA connector and there is one run coming through the other side so you can power up all the hard drives, optical ETC.

This ODD cable only has two wires. They could be 12v or 5v, not sure ... *goes off to check*

OK it's actually 5v. There are only two wires.. Either way whatever it is will need to be connected, even if it is for the optical drive because I do still use mine and wanted one..

Games are £5-£10 cheaper and sometimes even more if you buy the media itself, and I am a sucker for box art so I have a large collection of physical games.

I know that it's probably quicker to download a game (I'm on 72mb fibre) but it doesn't bother me

Edit. Once the PC is disconnected and off the desk I can trace it and see what it does but yeah, it will likely need to be connected as it is now

Old 18-08-15, 09:41 AM
OC3D Elite

Got a post on OCUK. Apparently....

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...odid=CB-069-AK

So you guys could well have been right, it could well be something like that in there. As I said I have ordered a black connector for it and will likely braid the two wires coming out of it in blue. I've also ordered 15 ft of paracord, really didn't think I would need more as it's only a few cables I need to make/braid.