Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 14-08-14, 04:28 PM
Bettyswollocks

Wraiths SATA Sleeving Guide

Welcome to my SATA cable Sleeving guide.

First things first, tools you are going to need,

Sleeve. (White 9mm)
Shrink. (Black 12mm)
Sharp Angle cutters.
Sharp Scalpel (stanley knife)
Long nose Pliers.
Lighter or Heat gun.
Ruler.
Cutting mat.
And obviously a SATA Data Cable.

It's worth while saying before I start that if you want a solid colour sleeving job, use a SATA cable that is the same colour as your sleeve, I didn't, because I actually wanted to be able to see the black cable beneath the sleeve.

Step 1.

Take your sleeving and leave it on the roll DO NOT measure it out to length, all will become clear as we proceed, singe the end of the sleeve to gather the loose fraid ends and make the next step so much easier.

Step 2.

Slide your sleeve onto your chosen SATA Cable, it can be a bit of a fiddle but go with it, once your on slide it right to the opposite SATA connector, stop at the connector. Remember you're only covering the cable not the plugs, once you have reached the plug, pinch the sleeve and run your other hand back along the cable to tighten up the sleeve, now that you have done that mark the sleeve where it meets the connector (pictured below).

Step 3.

Now you need to back the sleeve off the cable, once you have enough sleeve backed off (pictured below) you can cut your mark from Step 2. Once you have a nice clean cut, you now have the sleeve at the correct length for your SATA cable, which is why at the beginning I said leave it on the roll now before we slide it back onto the cable you will need to use your lighter again to singe the end to avoid fraying.

Step 4.

Now all you need to do is slide the sleeve back onto the cable and remove the slack by pinching one end and sliding your other hand along the length, you should have something like this pictured below.

Step 5.

Now you take your semi sleeved cable and measure how much shrink your going to need, I've gone for 25mm as I'm covering the plug as well as the sleeve edge. Once cut slide the sleeve over the SATA plug and line it up to where you want it, if your shrink does not slide easily over the plug use your long nosed pliers and stretch out the shrink (don't worry it will close back up).
Next simply apply some heat making sure to rotate the cable as your heating, I used a lighter for this but a heat gun would be my preferred method, take your time with the heat shrink it's not a race.

Step 6.

There is no Step 6! You should if all went well have a nicely sleeved cable, mine is not as perfect as I'd liked but I will redo them later.

Well I hope this was helpful to you, I know I had fun doing it.
~Wraithguard~

"As a species we evolved with complex communication and sound reasoning, monkeys fling poop." ~ Me
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Old 14-08-14, 04:31 PM
OC3D Elite

WOO! Perfect timing for me Wraith , now I just need to get some bigger heatshrink and some sleeving (I wish paracord could come in a size big enough ).
Samsung Evo 250GB | 1TB Hitachi HDD

Old 14-08-14, 04:33 PM
News Guru

Nice job Matey!
Old 16-08-14, 02:50 AM

Would we be able to white-tape the cable and fit the sleeve? If yes, I guess this would avoid the black from the sleeve holes. Nice job!
Old 16-08-14, 03:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Top guide Wraith easy to follow with explicit instructions, and they look bloody fantastic too!
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 16-08-14, 10:05 AM

Really informative and clear instructions, anyone else think it should be a sticky?
And nice pics btw
Old 16-08-14, 10:06 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lAnimal View Post
Really informative and clear instructions, anyone else think it should be a sticky?
And nice pics btw
Wraith's threads should just be auto-stickied

Old 16-08-14, 10:28 AM
Suspended By Request of Police

This deserves to be in my bookmarks
Looks like a relatively quick and cheap way to make my rig look better
Old 16-08-14, 12:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Might have to use this one for my build... Thanks!

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 16-08-14, 02:04 PM

That's the same way I did mine. Avoid tape, especially if it's white! It goes yellow. It's defo worth doing it just the way the post suggests. Good work, and simple to do.