Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 13-04-19, 07:37 PM

My Mobo is Asus p6x58d-e, again love you guys for all the input and advice

Old 13-04-19, 07:40 PM

Grrr had to edit this one cos I posted twice
Old 13-04-19, 08:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Degradation is far more likely to happen to the capacitors and coils.

However it is a fact that CPUs do degrade. Eventually the transistors get stuck open, and are stuck at 1, for example, and not 0. However I'd bet that Xeon lived a quiet life until quite recently, as it's blatantly server fodder and thus was probably never overclocked.

I'd suspect the power circuitry tbh. I left my valve amp switched on for over five years, living on a shelf above a radiator (it was very hard to access) and sure enough two caps bulged and died.

Old 13-04-19, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Degradation is far more likely to happen to the capacitors and coils.

However it is a fact that CPUs do degrade. Eventually the transistors get stuck open, and are stuck at 1, for example, and not 0. However I'd bet that Xeon lived a quiet life until quite recently, as it's blatantly server fodder and thus was probably never overclocked.

I'd suspect the power circuitry tbh. I left my valve amp switched on for over five years, living on a shelf above a radiator (it was very hard to access) and sure enough two caps bulged and died.
I suspect that's quite true, I've have the cpu for about 6 months or so only only £20 off Ebay in agreeance with you on quiet life it had before me I can't be certain but I'm sure it must have had a quiet life untill me.

I've had the system 7 years with a OC'd i7 950 and on the odd occasion it would BSOD and overclock would fail once in a blue moon, so I think some circuitry degradation on the mobo is at fault too perhaps. But certainly when I put the GPU in straight away it happend, thought i may get away with pumping more voltage in the cpu and pcie lanes.

For the one who said some older psu had a dodgy 12v rail mine is a corsair 650 (blue one 6-7 years old now).

Can you reccomend some good high air flow case fans ?? new GPU back plate gets hot would like some more case fans just to blow over a little more (just purchased a corsair 450d).
Old 13-04-19, 09:14 PM
OC3D Elite

I would replace the PSU after that long, given how hard you push your rig.

With fans just do your research, however I can definitely vouch for Noctua.

Old 14-04-19, 08:33 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ov3erclock3R View Post
For the one who said some older psu had a dodgy 12v rail mine is a corsair 650 (blue one 6-7 years old now).
Yeah, the model would be useful so we could google the configuration, 6-7 years ago single rail PSUs got popular so could be either way.

Point being that if it has multiple 12V rails and for instance some GPU PCI-E and CPU EPS leads pulled current from the same rail you might be pushing that particular rail's limits.

But I guess working that out is out of the question now that you already ordered a new PSU.

In the case of fans, Arctic cooling makes decent affordable ones, like F12 PWM for 120mm and F14 PWM for 140mm slots. Noctua fans are really good but also really expensive, then there's plenty of fans which are made to look cool like Corsair RGB series, but they perform about the same as the bog standard arctics.

Make sure to buy fans optimised for air flow if they aren't pushed against a radiator. Fans directly next to dust filters can be either static pressure or airflow, doesn't make much of a difference there. But spending much on fans doesn't yield big returns, unless you're going for a certain look.
Old 14-04-19, 08:48 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Yeah, the model would be useful so we could google the configuration, 6-7 years ago single rail PSUs got popular so could be either way.

Point being that if it has multiple 12V rails and for instance some GPU PCI-E and CPU EPS leads pulled current from the same rail you might be pushing that particular rail's limits.

But I guess working that out is out of the question now that you already ordered a new PSU.

In the case of fans, Arctic cooling makes decent affordable ones, like F12 PWM for 120mm and F14 PWM for 140mm slots. Noctua fans are really good but also really expensive, then there's plenty of fans which are made to look cool like Corsair RGB series, but they perform about the same as the bog standard arctics.

Make sure to buy fans optimised for air flow if they aren't pushed against a radiator. Fans directly next to dust filters can be either static pressure or airflow, doesn't make much of a difference there. But spending much on fans doesn't yield big returns, unless you're going for a certain look.
Thanks for the info PSU's are one thing I'm clueless on how they work etc expect I know they draw power from mains and convert it.

Fans, I'm not really bothered with RGB's and all that so a standard one will be good enough, thanks for the advice much appreciated.
Old 14-04-19, 10:19 AM
OC3D Elite

Corsair's ace up the sleeve back then was single rails.

Knowing the model would definitely help though.

Old 15-04-19, 04:44 PM

Hi people just an update, I have installed my new psu and it's still struggling with the overclock I have tuned it down and up voltage its even throwing a hissy fit when trying to find a boot drive keep having to go in to the bios nd configure after ab OC hmmm Help pleaseee! Thanks guys
Old 15-04-19, 08:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Then the overclock is simply too high.

4ghz is about where you should be. Seriously, any more than that on that setup would require a chiller or LN2.