Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 08-11-18, 12:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolagarf View Post
Found a listing on ebay for an i7 6950X, but as suspected they are pretty expensive still. I've even seen i9 7900X sell cheaper than that.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-T...s=threadripper

Old 08-11-18, 01:00 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
But what about that "gamer mode" that disables some cores with Threadripper. What's that really about? Not sure I like the idea of having to switch something off in order to play games, kinda beats the whole idea
Old 08-11-18, 03:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
But what about that "gamer mode" that disables some cores with Threadripper. What's that really about? Not sure I like the idea of having to switch something off in order to play games, kinda beats the whole idea
It allows the cores enabled to clock higher. So you use less power, get higher clocks and etc.

BTW don't expect to get a 5960x or 6950x on the cheap. Fact is that even two years from now they won't be worth it over Ryzen. They were £900+ CPUs at launch, people are not going to be reasonable about it and sell them for less than a Ryzen.

If you are talking any sort of core use *at all* then nothing Intel make makes any financial sense whatsoever, and you would need to be a financial masochist to even consider it.

IIRC I paid £350 or £340 for my Xeon last June. It plopped straight into a £90 motherboard (brand new X99 SLI Plus! I picked up on a clearout). That was less than just a 12 core TR, so that made no sense (mine is faster overall too).

Xeons are just (usually always, but there are some exceptions) locked Intel CPUs. Mine does 3.8ghz on up to 4 cores, then drops off to 3.4. Still immensely powerful when tasked, though.

Old 08-11-18, 04:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Pretty sure that's something you have to set in the BIOS and then reboot, not sure about that though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 08-11-18, 04:17 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Pretty sure that's something you have to set in the BIOS and then reboot, not sure about that though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Wouldn't work for me either way if it's by BIOS or software, as I need all cores to be active even when gaming (does make more sense if one reads my initial post hehe)
Old 08-11-18, 04:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Wouldn't work for me either way if it's by BIOS or software, as I need all cores to be active even when gaming (does make more sense if one reads my initial post hehe)
That's why I mentioned it. I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist. Current HEDT systems don't make multi-tasking as easy as it should be, especially in regard to gaming. Consolidation might not be the answer you're looking for.

Old 08-11-18, 05:44 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
That's why I mentioned it. I think you're looking for something that doesn't exist. Current HEDT systems don't make multi-tasking as easy as it should be, especially in regard to gaming. Consolidation might not be the answer you're looking for.
Well then let me be the first one to prove it will work. BBL