Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-07-17, 07:55 PM
OC3D Crew

I would say that Threadripper will only be ATX or maybe Maxt, so I would asume that one will mostly use a mid tower.

In MOST mid tower cases then a 240 AIO would fit. I would think due to costs that a 120mm AIO would be the route that AMD would do BUT a 240 AIO would be a win 100% at that price.

Old 17-07-17, 08:05 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Going to take a while to get aio from Corsair/etc to fit this. They are going to have to remake there copper plates to the shape of the massive threadripper
Old 18-07-17, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I would dispute this. A good air cooler can complete with a 240 AIO, and beat a 120 handily. A 120 would be a step up over a Wraith for sure, but not by as much as you may think. People tend to automatically assume even the crappiest AIO is better than air, but that's mainly due to bad testing by reviewers. Stress test an AIO for over an hour or 2 instead of 20 minutes and you'll see quite a difference in CPU temps.
I failed to specify that I was talking about stock coolers. I'm aware that some air cooler can outperform some liquid coolers. But I think those are usually high-end air coolers, or average air cooler compared to a particularly low end liquid cooler.

I don't use liquid coolers. I don't trust the pumps and I don't want to risk leakage. I'm perfectly fine with a push/pull air cooler that only needs fan swapping in case one of them dies.
Old 18-07-17, 07:08 PM
OC3D Crew

I'm kinda leaning to going back to a HSF cooler in my next build myself. My H100 has been great and I've got no complaints from it but I like the simplicity and long term reliability from a basic heatsink and fan.

I'm still looking forward to this release tho. I can't wait to see what the things are capable of and how they'll overclock.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.815 ••• Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev 1••• Corsair H100
Corsair 500R ••• EVGA Supernova G2 750 ••• Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB x2 ••• MSI R9 290x Lightning
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB ••• BenQ XL2720Z
Logitech G710+ ••• Logitech G502
Old 18-07-17, 07:20 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd never go back to air, but the one element I DO miss is the fact that if you're OCing, gauging CPU temps, etc, then an air cooler hits your "worst case" scenario a lot quicker than an AIO or water cooling. That makes OCing a bit quicker. But once you go water (custom loop, not AIO), it's tough to go back.

Old 18-07-17, 07:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
I'd never go back to air, but the one element I DO miss is the fact that if you're OCing, gauging CPU temps, etc, then an air cooler hits your "worst case" scenario a lot quicker than an AIO or water cooling. That makes OCing a bit quicker. But once you go water (custom loop, not AIO), it's tough to go back.
It wasn't tough for me to go back to air, running a bit less mental on the overclocks and the pc currently is really quiet, components just got so efficient that for me atleast, the costs of watercooling them isn't worth anymore.

Watercooling does look way way better.
Old 19-07-17, 09:39 PM
OC3D Elite

While I haven't personally water cooled and so can only stipulate, I feel custom water cooling is still a niche sector and is less necessary than it used to be. A R7 1700X at 3.9Ghz and a 1080Ti at 2000Mhz is easily cooled quietly and efficiently with big air. That's insane amount of power with very modest cooling. Water cooling is still for the elite. If you're going to cheap out, you may as well stick to air. That's if you want an all-round balanced system. If you want extreme overclocks and don't care about aesthetics, expandability, ease of maintenance and only have a small budget, you can do better with custom water, but that's about it. If you can afford €600-1000 for water cooling components then obviously go to town, but I know I don't. I'd rather buy a bigger SSD and a more powerful CPU and GPU than watercool.
Old 20-07-17, 01:09 AM
OC3D Elite

This is a BRILLIANT move by AMD as it solves the issue that they had on the launch of Ryzen that people had to wait for compatible parts for their coolers, now you just fit it and change later if you want or if it performs well just leave it alone
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with Aer RGB fans and RBG strip=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 20-07-17, 08:32 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
It wasn't tough for me to go back to air, running a bit less mental on the overclocks and the pc currently is really quiet, components just got so efficient that for me atleast, the costs of watercooling them isn't worth anymore.

Watercooling does look way way better.
Watercooling has never been worth it in a price/performance scenario. Today its just about aesthetics. As you say, components are much more efficient. I'll never swap back though. Its just too fun to build.
Old 20-07-17, 08:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Watercooling has never been worth it in a price/performance scenario. Today its just about aesthetics. As you say, components are much more efficient. I'll never swap back though. Its just too fun to build.
Aesthetics and noise mate

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly