Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 29-05-20, 05:11 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Well, if the APUs are 7nm, that would make sense for the 5000 series. The APUs tend to be a generation behind.
Ahh, yeah, you're right, that makes sense.

Quote:
AMD has already confirmed that Zen 4 will be on a 5nm node. That's on AMD's roadmap. .
But Zen3 was roadmapped to use 7nm, yet we're now getting rumours it'll use 5nm. Still, if Zen3 APU's use 7nm, the original roadmap would be correct.

BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 29-05-20, 06:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
Don't see this happening at all. They'd need way more time to prep for it for a September release. What I could see happening is a very quick turnaround from the 4000 series to a straight die shrunk 5000 series, both for CPU's and GPU s. I think their GPUs would gain more from snatching an early die shrunk than the CPUs, against their competitors. AMD are far more behind Nvidia than they are Intel in terms of an arms race.
While I agree they'd have to have known about this at the very least a year ago if it's true, I think it's worth noting that these CPU chiplets are tiny compared to GPUs, so would be viable for cheap mass production for CPUs a bit earlier than with larger discrete GPU designs.
Old 30-05-20, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
While I agree they'd have to have known about this at the very least a year ago if it's true, I think it's worth noting that these CPU chiplets are tiny compared to GPUs, so would be viable for cheap mass production for CPUs a bit earlier than with larger discrete GPU designs.
Yeah large chips with low yeilds probably aren't the best for ironing out a new fledgling process. Maybe they'll take the chiplet design to GPUs?
Current Rig:i7 [email protected] w/ Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper, ASUS Z270i, 16GB Patriot Viper 4 3400MHz CL16, Zotac GTX 980Ti [email protected]/7804 w/ Custom Copper Watercool Heatkiller IV XL, Samsung 256GB 960 EVO M.2 and 120GB 840 EVO SSD, XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res w/ 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus on watercooled Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30 w/ EK Furious Vardar EVO fans on watercooled Aquearo 6LT, EKWB Cryofuel Clear, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Dell U2412M, CM Rapid-i w/Browns, R.A.T. 7, Kingston HyperX Cloud
Old 01-06-20, 11:33 AM
OC3D Crew

I'd expect this gen has already been taped for production. Even if there is virtually no work to be done to migrate to 5nm, there is a tonne of paperwork, testing and bureaucracy involved in these changes, not to mention the testing ect. all of there certifications for meeting different regulations around the world would have to be re-applied for and any copyright protections would have to be updated. I'm not saying that this is not going to happen, just agree that this would have had to be decided a long time ago or add significant delays to the launch. I'd of expected this rumour to have started a while ago too if this was the case.
Maybe will see some refreshed zen 3 on 5nm later on down the road?
Old 01-06-20, 12:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
Yeah large chips with low yeilds probably aren't the best for ironing out a new fledgling process. Maybe they'll take the chiplet design to GPUs?
Definitely one day but we can't pass those kinda bandwidths through interposers without the heat getting insane yet.