Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-02-21, 11:07 PM
News Guru

Nvidia claims that their RTX 3060 crypto-limiter "cannot be hacked"

Nvidia is not letting miners access the RTX 3060's full potential.

Read more about Nvidia's claim that their RTX 3060 crypto-limiter "cannot be hacked".

Old 19-02-21, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Miners:

Old 19-02-21, 05:48 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Yeah kinda shot themselves in the foot with that one...

I give it a week at most.
Old 19-02-21, 10:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Yeah kinda shot themselves in the foot with that one...

I give it a week at most.
probably part of the plan. Now everyone will go out and buy them, to prove nvidia wrong. Meanwhile the revenue streams increase for the green team.
Old 19-02-21, 03:55 PM
OC3D Elite

https://www.techpowerup.com/278712/n...d-to-more-skus

"It's not just a driver thing. There is a secure handshake between the driver, the RTX 3060 silicon, and the BIOS (firmware) that prevents removal of the hash rate limiter."

My tuppence?

If it's in the firmware it won't be hacked. Just like how for years and years Nvidia locked out voltage and there was no way of hacking it back into action.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 19-02-21, 05:20 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
https://www.techpowerup.com/278712/n...d-to-more-skus

"It's not just a driver thing. There is a secure handshake between the driver, the RTX 3060 silicon, and the BIOS (firmware) that prevents removal of the hash rate limiter."

My tuppence?

If it's in the firmware it won't be hacked. Just like how for years and years Nvidia locked out voltage and there was no way of hacking it back into action.
If that's true, and if Turing is being used for these CMP HX series of cards and isn't eating into Ampere silicon, gamers might actually be able to buy 3060's around launch, and then in a few months actually have reasonably priced alternative Ampere GPUs. And if gamers can buy Ampere GPUs, then AMD GPUs should become more available as well.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 19-02-21, 05:55 PM
OC3D Elite

There still won't be enough. Production is down and demand is off the chart. And this idea doesn't stop scalpers.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 19-02-21, 11:47 PM
OC3D Elite

I wonder if there are other workloads this throttling might affect, like general compute.

Maybe Nvidia is using mining as an excuse to hinder gaming cards' work-oriented performance in order to drive more customers to Quadro line-up.
Old 20-02-21, 08:27 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I wonder if there are other workloads this throttling might affect, like general compute.

Maybe Nvidia is using mining as an excuse to hinder gaming cards' work-oriented performance in order to drive more customers to Quadro line-up.
I'd be fine with this.

You want productivity - get a Quadro;
You want gaming - get an RTX;
You want mining - get bent.
Old 20-02-21, 11:02 AM
OC3D Elite

unless you live in the far east availability is not going to get much better for quite a while.
The shipping lines have added several 1000 new containers into the mix but with lunar new year, a huge back log and prices for shipping still through the roof both availability and prices are going to be bad.
The company i work for normally ships around 150 containers a week to the UK. we have over 900 containers in back log with our freight rate at about $10k per container, this time last year that was $1.9k and even at 10k a pop, we're fighting for space on the vessels.
Chip production is down too as raw resources are not being shipped as much and lets be honest, nobody is going to stock pile a million chips that they then can't get out of the country even if they could produce them. Unless some serious production starts happening outside of the far east, 2021 is not going to be any better.