Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-04-21, 06:00 PM
News Guru

AMD brings multi-chip Radeon GPUs one step closer with their ACTIVE-BRIDGE patent

AMD's bringing the multi-die benefits of Zen to the GPU market.

Read more about AMD's ACTIVE-BRIDGE patent for chiplet-based GPUs.

Old 05-04-21, 06:56 PM
Old N Gold

Exciting. 2022 should hopefully be a better year for graphics.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 05-04-21, 07:35 PM
OC3D Crew

Note to self: Going to need a bigger wallet, especially as i got the 6800XT free this time around

I'd feel sure Nvidia have similar in the works, but if they don't well they are going too suffer.
Old 05-04-21, 08:42 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
Note to self: Going to need a bigger wallet, especially as i got the 6800XT free this time around

I'd feel sure Nvidia have similar in the works, but if they don't well they are going too suffer.
I've heard Nvidia are still going for a monolithic die to compete against RDNA3. After that is when we could see their 'glued together' GPUs.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 05-04-21, 09:00 PM
Resident Newb

Chiplet style GPU's are going to have to be the way forward, While yes the 3000 series from Nvidia and the 6000 series from AMD are nice upgrades from their previous gen parts, You can clearly see areas that are starting to slow down in terms of progress due to monolithic dies, And then there's the cost of monolithic dies which is only going to get ever more expensive.
Old 06-04-21, 03:45 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Chiplet style GPU's are going to have to be the way forward, While yes the 3000 series from Nvidia and the 6000 series from AMD are nice upgrades from their previous gen parts, You can clearly see areas that are starting to slow down in terms of progress due to monolithic dies, And then there's the cost of monolithic dies which is only going to get ever more expensive.
While I do agree that progress has slowed down for Nvidia, I wouldn't say that AMD has slowed down in terms of progress. If anything they are hitting their stride. RDNA 2 is a big change from RDNA, and RDNA was a huge improvement over Vega.

If AMD can continue this rate of progress with RDNA 3, they will have some great cards at launch.

As far as Nvidia is concerned, they are kinda taking the old AMD Vega approach and have made GPUs for basically all markets. Workstations, gaming, and enterprise. Nvidia had to invent DLSS to justify the die space for AI, and it took a while for Nvidia to make DLSS a worthwhile feature.

One of the strange things about Ampere is that its compute benefits are not really seen in gaming, it is best seen in workstations. Nvidia's new architectural enhancements are not targeted at gaming workloads.

There is a reason why AMD made the best mining GPUs in 2017 and why Nvidia makes the best mining GPUs in 2021. I'll leave it at that for now.
Old 06-04-21, 04:02 PM
OC3D Elite

They'll both have to look at this otherwise Intel will leave them in the dust with their ability to scale, if there is any legitimacy to the rumours and if they can fab them