Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 26-07-16, 03:35 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
If you are waiting for 3rd party 480s like you said earlier, here are the only 2 reviews i know of that are live.

pcworld
eteknix

After reading these, come to the conclusion it's a pretty damn good card. Faster than a stock/small OC 1060 for much less. Although in DX11 a moderate+ OC on a 1060 it will be faster more often than not. In modern APIs(Vulkan/DX12 as they refer too), it's far behind a 480, based off those reviews.
Interesting reading. That Sapphire Nitro+ is looking quite promising. Hopefully TTL will have a review out soon too.

Ryzen 5 3600 -- Nvidia RTX 3060ti FE -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- MetallicGear Neo Qube

Old 26-07-16, 06:22 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOmega View Post
Interesting reading. That Sapphire Nitro+ is looking quite promising. Hopefully TTL will have a review out soon too.
Don't hold your breath Sapphire don't send TTL cards to review but there will be the Asus Strix 480 review coming out soon. I would check out other reviewers thoughts on the Sapphire Nitro though dude I very nearly bought one but it's a side grade from my Sapphire R9 290X Vapor X.

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 27-07-16, 01:36 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Don't hold your breath Sapphire don't send TTL cards to review but there will be the Asus Strix 480 review coming out soon. I would check out other reviewers thoughts on the Sapphire Nitro though dude I very nearly bought one but it's a side grade from my Sapphire R9 290X Vapor X.
Now you say it I do remember a video where TTL said about certain vendors don't send him things (because he was objective?), but I don't remember specifics about which vendors so thanks for the heads-up.
I'll keep an eye out for the TTL Strix review. I'm kind of hoping it isn't better than the Sapphire because I'm just not taken with the aesthetic of the Strix (even though I know it shouldn't be a factor).

Old 27-07-16, 04:15 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Now you say it I do remember a video where TTL said about certain vendors don't send him things (because he was objective?), but I don't remember specifics about which vendors so thanks for the heads-up.
I'll keep an eye out for the TTL Strix review. I'm kind of hoping it isn't better than the Sapphire because I'm just not taken with the aesthetic of the Strix (even though I know it shouldn't be a factor).
The strix went live on another site.
TPU
And another more recent one, although I always question Kitguru's legitmacy. They have proven before they dislike AMD more than Nvidia and it sometimes shows easily within the written reviews. I haven't seen that on Nvidias reviews. Not claiming anything here, I haven't even read this review yet.
kitguru
Old 28-07-16, 12:36 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
The strix went live on another site.
TPU
And another more recent one, although I always question Kitguru's legitmacy. They have proven before they dislike AMD more than Nvidia and it sometimes shows easily within the written reviews. I haven't seen that on Nvidias reviews. Not claiming anything here, I haven't even read this review yet.
kitguru
I'd actually read that kitguru Strix review already, but it now seems they have a Sapphire Nitro review live too where it's *just* ahead of the Strix in almost every test, but seems to run hotter (a lot of RX480 reviews saying the target temperature keeps changing so maybe that is skewing results?)
kitguru Sapphire

Old 28-07-16, 02:26 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd actually read that kitguru Strix review already, but it now seems they have a Sapphire Nitro review live too where it's *just* ahead of the Strix in almost every test, but seems to run hotter (a lot of RX480 reviews saying the target temperature keeps changing so maybe that is skewing results?)
kitguru Sapphire
Yeah it's the driver issue. Where driver forces 65C target temp but BIOS is trying to get a 75C target temp. So just depends. It probably will run a little hotter since less fans but it's much quieter it seems.
Old 28-07-16, 08:02 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
TTL has shown on his FB he has a Sapphire RX480 Nitro along with a powercolor Devil RX480, MSI RX480 Gaming X and MSI GTX1060 Gaming X. Maybe our prayers have been answered . I think those nice guys at OCUK sent him the Nitro to review

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/tinytomlogan/?fref=ts

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 28-07-16, 08:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Is your FX overclocked?

With stuff like Vulkan and DX12 seriously reducing draw calls on AMD I would be tempted to keep the CPU and give it a decent OC.

Also

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30988...d-refined.html

Though bear in mind that's the £199 4gb card on review there with slower memory and lower clocks.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 28-07-16, 09:33 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
TTL has shown on his FB he has a Sapphire RX480 Nitro along with a powercolor Devil RX480, MSI RX480 Gaming X and MSI GTX1060 Gaming X. Maybe our prayers have been answered . I think those nice guys at OCUK sent him the Nitro to review

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/tinytomlogan/?fref=ts
I literally saw that 10 mins ago on Facebook. Looking forward to that getting a going over, also interested to see how the Powercolor Devil does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Is your FX overclocked?

With stuff like Vulkan and DX12 seriously reducing draw calls on AMD I would be tempted to keep the CPU and give it a decent OC.

Also

Though bear in mind that's the £199 4gb card on review there with slower memory and lower clocks.
Not as such. I disabled the turbo and run it at a permanent 4ghz. Only using a CM TX3 cooler so haven't ever pushed it, but it's starting to show it's age so I feel an upgrade is the better option. If I was only going to use it for games I can see your point though.

I have seen the PCworld review as well, now I'm just waiting on the TTL opinion. I would be looking to get the 8GB variant.

I've not watched/read many other reviewers enough to trust what they're saying, but having seen it before I know Tom will straight up say if it's garbage/what the better options are.

Old 29-07-16, 12:28 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Is your FX overclocked?

Also

Actually there are significantly adding more draw calls. They take advantage of more threads so more draw calls can be added onto other cores instead of tacking it into the first thread. AMD FX cpus are not great anymore. What they used to have in advantage of multi threaded performance has now basically gone. In addition Intel's vastly superior single thread support just puts it that much further ahead.

Tags
advice, clueless, help needed, new build