Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 19-03-21, 02:30 PM
News Guru

ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K 144Hz HDMI 2.1 Gaming Monitor is now available to pre-order

A monitor that's designed for high refresh rate PC and console gaming.

Read more about ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K 144Hz HDMI 2.1 Gaming Monitor becoming available to pre-order.

Old 19-03-21, 05:02 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Would prefer a little smaller. 43" is just to big for PC gaming. Although not for console players generally. Though still a great spec sheet. Would be interesting to see if they got rid of the black smear VAs are known for. Samsung Odyssey line is a perfect example of excellent VA panels.

Personally to avoid chroma subsampling, I'd run this over DP using 120hz. Though if you want proper hdr you'll need to drop down to 98hz. This is if you don't have a hdmi 2.1 card since 95% of the people who want one don't have access to getting one.
Old 19-03-21, 08:39 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Would prefer a little smaller. 43" is just to big for PC gaming. Although not for console players generally. Though still a great spec sheet. Would be interesting to see if they got rid of the black smear VAs are known for. Samsung Odyssey line is a perfect example of excellent VA panels.

Personally to avoid chroma subsampling, I'd run this over DP using 120hz. Though if you want proper hdr you'll need to drop down to 98hz. This is if you don't have a hdmi 2.1 card since 95% of the people who want one don't have access to getting one.
This uses DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC. So 4K at 144Hz can be used without chroma sub sampling.
Old 19-03-21, 09:56 PM
OC3D Elite

I have a 43" ultrawide, and you do need to sit back a bit, but it doesn't feel as big in front of you as specs would have you believe. But if I had a do-over, I would drop back to a 35" for sure. Some of us nerds need to get our impulse buying under control!
/ custom loop
Old 19-03-21, 09:59 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Yes avoid compression entirely. That was my point. By using DSC and then using HDR and 10bpc(assuming it supports this) kind of defeats the purpose of those features. You are just losing quality at that point. And while normally you wouldn't notice, being 43" the pixel density is low and you're sitting close if you are on PC. You'd notice the smudged pixel sections outside of super fast paced games.

If it was 27/32"? Wouldn't be an issue I think.
Old 19-03-21, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Bigger the better!
Old 20-03-21, 06:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Yes avoid compression entirely. That was my point. By using DSC and then using HDR and 10bpc(assuming it supports this) kind of defeats the purpose of those features. You are just losing quality at that point. And while normally you wouldn't notice, being 43" the pixel density is low and you're sitting close if you are on PC. You'd notice the smudged pixel sections outside of super fast paced games.

If it was 27/32"? Wouldn't be an issue I think.
I'll make the same bet here as with the CD quality sound - while technically better quality exists, you won't be able to tell the difference between DSC on vs. DSC off.
Old 20-03-21, 04:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I'll make the same bet here as with the CD quality sound - while technically better quality exists, you won't be able to tell the difference between DSC on vs. DSC off.
I did see a difference on the Odyssey G7 which uses DSC. Minor, but it was there. Nothing worth kicking up a fuss over though so I guess its how picky people are. Some probably get frustrated by it more than others.
Old 20-03-21, 04:46 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I did see a difference on the Odyssey G7 which uses DSC. Minor, but it was there. Nothing worth kicking up a fuss over though so I guess its how picky people are. Some probably get frustrated by it more than others.
Assuming you had the 27" but then imagine how much worse it would be in this 43" monitor that has less pixel density. It would be even more noticeable as the pixels would appear larger which makes the lossy compression conversion easier to spot.

Nice to hear from someone who actually uses it though.
Best solution is hdmi 2.1 but not everyone has a card with that yet.
Old 22-03-21, 08:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Assuming you had the 27" but then imagine how much worse it would be in this 43" monitor that has less pixel density. It would be even more noticeable as the pixels would appear larger which makes the lossy compression conversion easier to spot.

Nice to hear from someone who actually uses it though.
Best solution is hdmi 2.1 but not everyone has a card with that yet.
Correct, it was the 27" but you are right, I guess for that 43" it would be far more noticeable.