Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 29-01-19, 02:07 PM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,709
Well I'm a fat guy with moobs, so girlish works for me.

__________________
Games: Ryzen 5950X on GB Aorus Master X570 / Asus TUF 6900XT / 32GB TridentZ Neo 3600CL16 (16GB x 2) / custom loop
Workstation: Threadripper 2950x on GB Aorus Xtreme X399 / Zotac 2080ti / 32GB TridentZ 3200CL14 (8GB x 4) / custom loop
Home Theatre: Ryzen 3900X on Asus C7H X470 / Radeon VII / 16GB G.Skill 3600CL15 (8GB x 2)
/ custom loop
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29-01-19, 07:07 PM
DwarfAdigginAhole DwarfAdigginAhole is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Then why do you care what he thinks about a girlish piece of ram? It's his business
I mean to be frank he did post on a PUBLIC forum. I am simply stating that just branding something as gender specific due to "Style" and then caring about what someone wears(Which by your logic would be there business so he has shown he is willing to criticize others on THEIR business, so turn about is fair play.)does show a bit of toxic masculinity. :v Im sorry I am not okay with toxic thought processes?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29-01-19, 08:27 PM
TheF34RChannel's Avatar
TheF34RChannel TheF34RChannel is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,181
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Well I'm a fat guy with moobs, so girlish works for me.
That made me laugh, thanks dude
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29-01-19, 08:44 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarfAdigginAhole View Post
I mean to be frank he did post on a PUBLIC forum. I am simply stating that just branding something as gender specific due to "Style" and then caring about what someone wears(Which by your logic would be there business so he has shown he is willing to criticize others on THEIR business, so turn about is fair play.)does show a bit of toxic masculinity. :v Im sorry I am not okay with toxic thought processes?
Acknowledging that an object has a masculine or feminine styling is in no way a reinforcement of gender rolls, it's just an acknowledgement of them. Accepting that we as a Western society like many others have aesthetic styling associated with genders does not imply someone agrees or disagrees with the fact that genders should be treated or viewed differently whether aesthetically or otherwise, it's an objective observation. If he said it in a derogatory way specifically because of the association to a gender then you could (loosely) argue it was toxic masculinity, but as it stands his comment is neither toxic nor masculine, it's quite objective and neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29-01-19, 10:17 PM
NickOmega's Avatar
NickOmega NickOmega is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cannock, West Mids
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Acknowledging that an object has a masculine or feminine styling is in no way a reinforcement of gender rolls, it's just an acknowledgement of them. Accepting that we as a Western society like many others have aesthetic styling associated with genders does not imply someone agrees or disagrees with the fact that genders should be treated or viewed differently whether aesthetically or otherwise, it's an objective observation. If he said it in a derogatory way specifically because of the association to a gender then you could (loosely) argue it was toxic masculinity, but as it stands his comment is neither toxic nor masculine, it's quite objective and neutral.
Posting that it looks "girlish" is stated as his own opinion, so one could easily argue that he agrees with allocating items to a gender based on their aesthetic.
I'm not sure I'd characterise that as "toxic masculinity", more narrow-mindedness if I'm honest.

However, that RAM is fugly
__________________


Ryzen 5 3600 -- Nvidia RTX 3060ti FE -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- MetallicGear Neo Qube

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29-01-19, 10:25 PM
DwarfAdigginAhole DwarfAdigginAhole is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOmega View Post
Posting that it looks "girlish" is stated as his own opinion, so one could easily argue that he agrees with allocating items to a gender based on their aesthetic.
I'm not sure I'd characterise that as "toxic masculinity", more narrow-mindedness if I'm honest.

However, that RAM is fugly
Now this I can get behind, it is straight fugly. Agreed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29-01-19, 11:32 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOmega View Post
so one could easily argue that he agrees with allocating items to a gender based on their aesthetic
So what you then basically mean is that the colour pink is/should be considered a "girlish" colour? or have I missunderstood it all? ... Cause then I'm girlish as sh1t, I'll tell you that much!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30-01-19, 01:16 AM
NickOmega's Avatar
NickOmega NickOmega is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cannock, West Mids
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
So what you then basically mean is that the colour pink is/should be considered a "girlish" colour? or have I missunderstood it all? ... Cause then I'm girlish as sh1t, I'll tell you that much!
I think you've misunderstood the point I was attempting to make, but that's a perfect example of what I was trying to describe with "allocating items to a gender based on their aesthetic" i.e Pink = Girl, and having that outlook as being narrow-minded.

Speaking from my perspective; I don't think pink is a "girlish" colour but I personally have a different objection, in that almost every guy I've met wearing pink has been a complete douchebag*.

*Not a comment on you personally, just past experience
__________________


Ryzen 5 3600 -- Nvidia RTX 3060ti FE -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- MetallicGear Neo Qube

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 30-01-19, 01:43 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 17,737
Pink has been historically a girl color. It's not narrow minded.

When a couple announces a gender of a baby, they either represent it as blue or pink. For boy or girl. It's not narrow minded. It's a fallacy to the MSM has ingrained into peoples heads. This gender identity politics which is what this argument is based on, can honestly just go out of the door. He made a joke, hence his , people need to stop being so sensitive.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 30-01-19, 04:21 AM
NickOmega's Avatar
NickOmega NickOmega is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cannock, West Mids
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Pink has been historically a girl color. It's not narrow minded.

When a couple announces a gender of a baby, they either represent it as blue or pink. For boy or girl. It's not narrow minded. It's a fallacy to the MSM has ingrained into peoples heads. This gender identity politics which is what this argument is based on, can honestly just go out of the door. He made a joke, hence his , people need to stop being so sensitive.
Of course it's narrow-minded. In what world is saying that a colour is gender specific not narrow-minded? The allocation of blue for boys and pink for girls is, historically speaking, a recent thing.
I couldn't give a damn about "gender identity politics" either. At this point I'm saying it's flat out ridiculous to claim that something is for a specific gender based on the way it looks (especially when it's RAM so ugly i'd insist on not having a windowed panel)

Joke or not is irrelevant since I was actually originally addressing a flawed point made by tgrech; but this is way off topic (and I accept some responsibility for that) so I'm just gonna leave it before it derails further.
__________________


Ryzen 5 3600 -- Nvidia RTX 3060ti FE -- 16GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200mhz DDR4
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon -- Corsair Force MP300 240GB
Seasonic Focus Gold 750 -- MetallicGear Neo Qube

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.