Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 02-01-18, 09:43 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates! Had no time to work on it, we found and bought a house on short notice. The renovation will take some time, but after it's done I'm going to come back to my floating cave!

Old 02-01-18, 11:49 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.maler View Post
Sorry for the lack of updates! Had no time to work on it, we found and bought a house on short notice. The renovation will take some time, but after it's done I'm going to come back to my floating cave!
I hope the renovations go well dude. I look forward to seeing how this build progresses when you get back to it.
Old 30-06-18, 06:47 AM

Long time no see! Renovations went well :-)

My Floating Cave survived all the moving without any harms. It just got very dusty J
Started my re-entry with the motherboard. I decided to remove all the blue. All the RGB-LEDs don’t make any sense, if there’s already a color theme.
The status quo:

A lot of blue to remove. First I removed all heat sinks.

The heat gun was very useful for the RAM heat spreaders.

I cleaned the aluminium parts and used hot sodium hydroxide to remove the anodization. Worked very well. But quite dangerous, always wear protection gloves, safety glasses and respiratory protection. This is why I couldn’t manage to take some photos.
I colored the plastic parts of the motherboard with a synthetic resin varnish. I’ll have to do it a second time to clear all the imperfections.

Decided to not use the RAM heat spreaders again. They do not fit into my design concept. In my opinion, they look way better naked.

I removed the old HDD and replaced it with a Samsung 970 evo m.2. Needed an adapter for it. Luckily, there is one who matches my design concept nearly perfectly.

Time keeps short the next months, cannot say when I’m going to do the next update!
Old 02-07-18, 10:01 AM
OC3D Elite

C'mon dude, don't leave us hangin'. Can't believe I missed this build log - love scratch builds. Have just read it from start to finish, looks fantastic - needs that final push to finish it.

Old 02-07-18, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post
C'mon dude, don't leave us hangin'. Can't believe I missed this build log - love scratch builds. Have just read it from start to finish, looks fantastic - needs that final push to finish it.

Thanks man! I'll do my very best Nobody wants to see it finished more than I do!
Old 05-12-18, 07:22 PM

Had a free Saturday which i spend on the Floating Cave. The MB got a second painting. Now there’s no blue left (with mounted components). I soldered a custom made extension to the connectors for power-button etc.

The color of the sound card did not match the theme. First I removed the cover.

The sound processor got painted. A 3D-foil was used for masking the cover.

Unfortunately, the disc has a slight reddish tinge. Let's see, maybe I'll exchange them. I simply removed the two red illumination LEDs on the soundcard.
Then we went to the graphics card: the extensions of the power supply got sleeved and completed.

I also replaced the screws of the self-made cover.

Was shopping and have increased my assortment stainless steel screws. But it was especially hard to find a few special screws that I needed for the case.

Here again the status quo of the case:

Actually, not much is missing for the move of the computer. I have already tested the majority of the loop in order to test the tightness of the components. Especially the quick couplings that were now dry for a long time. The good news: everything is tight. But I had big problems with the bleeding. The position of the pump with the small elevation loop compared to the AGB is conceivably bad. Inlet and outlet of the AGB at the same height prevent a clean full running of the lower components. As a test, I mounted the inlet at the lid. It was much better. Now I have to see if I manage to get in the lid a nice solution for water intake.