Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-04-17, 01:59 AM
Hagrid Look-A-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F34R Channel View Post
Broadwell-E was shortlived then. One thing I don't understand and maybe someone can explain it to me? Why does 4 core Kaby Lake exist on the X299 platform? It seems cheaper to get 1151 or whatever is next.

Is coffee lake still a laptop chip only? They were listed as such earlier but more recent mentions say nothing about it anymore. Six core mainstream chips sound good and should've been released a long time ago, like AMD did. Lastly, and I probably know the answer to this question, is coffee lake a different socket than 1151? (cringe)

@NBD: lol right as rain! Something new and a major improvement has been long overdue.
The addition of a 4 core is, as I see it, Intel matching the upgrade path of Ryzen. Go to X299 and get a budget CPU ..... later down the line upgrade to a £1000 10 core monster.

Old 22-04-17, 11:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to A7ibaba Send a message via Skype™ to A7ibaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
But with this Ryzen launch I hope Intel will have lower price for 6900K replacement. I am aiming for a nice music production rig this year, and 6900K is perfect for what i need but the price is just off. Unlike for other production stuff Ryzen is miles behind Intel for music. Current price for X CPUs is ridiculous. Yes 6900K is better than 6850K, but it is not 350€ better.

Im not really sure what you mean by "Ryzen is miles behind Intel for music". Is music sounds better with Intel processors?
Old 22-04-17, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7ibaba View Post
Im not really sure what you mean by "Ryzen is miles behind Intel for music". Is music sounds better with Intel processors?
No it does not. But for music production Intel is the only choice. Ryzen has tons of latency. And latency is very bad for music production. In music production you have successive tasks that you need to finish before you can go to the next one. You can't just split workload in n parts and render them one by one in random order like you would do with picture or video. Think of it like many single threaded tasks that need to be done in order. Ryzen has bad single task performance and basically you have bunch of cores that are w8ing for each other. Pure core grunt that Intel has performs way better for music production. It is different type of workload.

https://www.image-line.com/support/F...ore_Processing
Old 22-04-17, 04:41 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
No it does not. But for music production Intel is the only choice. Ryzen has tons of latency. And latency is very bad for music production. In music production you have successive tasks that you need to finish before you can go to the next one. You can't just split workload in n parts and render them one by one in random order like you would do with picture or video. Think of it like many single threaded tasks that need to be done in order. Ryzen has bad single task performance and basically you have bunch of cores that are w8ing for each other. Pure core grunt that Intel has performs way better for music production. It is different type of workload.

https://www.image-line.com/support/F...ore_Processing
You're over exaggerating everything. Feel like we've had this talk before...
I'd like to see some real world usage of it before coming to a conclusion that Ryzen "can't" do music production.
White shores, and beyond,
A far green country under a swift sunrise.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Old 22-04-17, 04:47 PM

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/03...ook-for-audio/
Old 22-04-17, 05:02 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Thank you for that link which just goes to prove I was right, you were over exaggerating. We see the same story there as we do elsewhere.
1700x beats everything but slightly behind a 6900k in multi-threaded tasks. But in the single threaded tasks, is still ahead of everything but the 6900k, just a larger margin.

Outside of that, I'm not sure this article is all that trust worthy. They say it's not as good, there results say otherwise. The last graph says "higher is better" yet they continue to say it isn't but don't offer any insight into why. They mention it can't keep up. Sure as hell looks like it is.
In regards to latency, as more AGESA and BIOS updates come out along with higher memory clock stability, it will become less and less of an issue. In addition, it's only an issue if you are going across the CCX, but as the article stated, it's does fantastic in this situation. Which again, proves my point you are over thinking this. Ryzen is perfectly capable of doing this. Not to mention if the software gets updated for better support, only further proves Ryzens worth
-J.R.R Tolkien
Old 22-04-17, 06:06 PM

Don't get me wrong. If you are doing electronic music you can use half decent laptop, and good audio interface. You won't have any problems at all. But when you start doing serious stuff you record clean electric guitar and all your distortions, reverb, effects, plugins etc are applied on that channel times 3 for 3 guitars, you have keyboards, drums written in midi, then using samples for those with effects on top, plus 3-4 tracks of vocals with all the effects on them and you get CPU that is choking and get cracking in sound that is bad. DAWBench Vi test simulates that real world scenario and that is where Rysen in underperforming. Add memory issues on top of that... For the price point of Ryzen build I would recommend 7700K build instead. At the moment, and probably until the Zen2 you are just better off with Intel in any shape or form for music production. In streaming, video, or photo production you get same or near the same performance as 6900K which for the price difference is no brainer. Go for Ryzen. But with music production you get 7700K/6800K performance with top Ryzen build, and you are in territory where memory plays significant role, and everything is heavily optimized for Intel platform. Things will improve that is certain, but for now you don't get the same performance as in other fields of production.
Old 22-04-17, 06:10 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Again, some actual real world use is what I want to see. Not some pre-done audio that they test. I want actual user experiences.
-J.R.R Tolkien
Old 22-04-17, 06:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Again, some actual real world use is what I want to see. Not some pre-done audio that they test. I want actual user experiences.
Yup, just because it "says" something on paper, doesn't mean it's what is experiencing in real life

Just because one drive is slightly better/faster than the other on paper, doesn't mean you'll ever notice it in real life
Old 22-04-17, 10:20 PM
OC3D Crew

I've been seeing reports of coffee lake still being 14nm and LGA 1151, so hopefully there'll be a BIOS update for my particular Z170 board - if all true and if the 6/12 core comes with identical or better out of the box specs as the 7700K in terms of clocks.
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170 | Intel i5-6600K 4.6GHz | Corsair H105 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3GHz CL15 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix A8G | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p