Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-04-19, 01:06 PM
News Guru

Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation will use AMD Zen 2/Navi chips and be backwards compatible

The next PlayStation will support Ray Tracing!

Read more about Sony's next-generation PlayStation hardware.

Old 16-04-19, 01:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Wasn't the PS4 limited to SATAII speeds? Which can sort of just about limit HDD's I guess. Especially if they move to have 8GB of flash or something tacked on, the CPU speed up will also help loading times, I guess it could just be SATA3+ new CPU. 8 cores is cool, I'm guessing there will be SMT too to keep pushing thread counts since some games can really benefit from AMD implementation & the OS especially will. Personally I doubt AMD will be throwing dedicated RT cores into the mix, I'd bet more on a general improvement to concurrent compute, memory addressing, and some extra instructions to get raytracing working well on Navi.
Old 16-04-19, 02:06 PM
AMD Enthusiast

One Zen 1 core has as much power as the entire Jaguar cpu. It'll be a massive increase in performance. Probably the largest jump we've ever seen in a console.

It'll be an expensive console using the latest and greatest tech from AMD.
Old 16-04-19, 02:12 PM
OC3D Elite

I doubt it's going to be a large price hike, scaled down Zen and Navi shouldn't break the bank.

It's nice that industry standard CPUs won't be shockingly bad in the future, though.
Old 16-04-19, 02:17 PM
AMD Enthusiast

It'll probably be back to $500-600 range. Which didn't work out for Xbox very well last time or the PS3. It'll be interesting to see
Old 16-04-19, 02:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Zen has upto x2.5 the IPC of Jaguar I think you'd need to be clocking at like 4.5Ghz+ to get one of them equivalent to 8 in that best case scenario which is abit of a stretch but that'd still be far from the largest jump it's more that the last just was tiny compared to all the previous ones in the CPU department. 6th gen CPUs were supercomputer-derived minimonsters when they launched and jumps before that often came with large paradigm shifts in overall architecture, in fact many developers initially found Cell was outperforming Jaguar for FPU-heavy tasks.

Personally I think the CPU for this will be a chiplet identical to a Ryzen3000 8-core binned for lower leakage/high efficiency with like ~3Ghz clocks at a reasonable cost(Still a massive jump of several times performance gains), by then presumably AMD's mainstream desktop CPU platform will be upto 12 or 16 cores, with unique I/O & possibly unique GPU chiplets.
Old 16-04-19, 02:42 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Don't really care about IPC. Looking at actual performance data when I researched it long ago I came to the conclusion I already stated.
Old 16-04-19, 02:50 PM
OC3D Elite

You won't find any real world data better than that, almost all benchmarks put it at about 2.25x speed up per core per clock while gaming is generally less than that. I'd be interested to see this performance data though.
Old 16-04-19, 02:51 PM
OC3D Crew

Full backwards compatibility is great news for early adopters, so they'll be able to price it higher than the PS4.
Old 16-04-19, 02:55 PM
OC3D Elite

The PS4Pro is still selling for not much less than its £349 launch price outside of sales so I think higher than that is likely but I can't see it going too far beyond £400, maybe matching the One X's £449 launch price since that did kinda work out.