Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 26-10-20, 05:55 PM
News Guru

Facebook Gaming is the latest contender in the game streaming market

Can Facebook succeed where Stadia has failed?

Read more about Facebook Gaming's cloud-streaming plans.

Old 26-10-20, 07:15 PM
OC3D Crew

I'd have to be mad as a hatter to even consider it.
Old 26-10-20, 08:26 PM
OC3D Elite

LOL streaming is the yacht of the gaming world. IE it just continually eats money and it all ends up down the bog.

Why do companies continue trying to flog this dead horse FFS? don't they get it?

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 26-10-20, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
I'd have to be mad as a hatter to even consider it.

Facebook needs to be destroyed. The IOI of the internet.
Old 27-10-20, 09:00 AM
OC3D Elite

After the way they force people with their VR policies, I wouldnt touch this even if it was free.
Old 27-10-20, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
LOL streaming is the yacht of the gaming world. IE it just continually eats money and it all ends up down the bog.

Why do companies continue trying to flog this dead horse FFS? don't they get it?
Because one day, it's how we'll all play games... one day.
Why spend thousands on PC gear or £450 on a PS5? Over the life of a console, it's cheaper to "rent", always up to date, instant access no matter where you are, instant resume, instantly swap a game, games look amazing (bandwidth depending), and they look amazing on a potato.

It's the future, and they're all trying to jump on the bandwagon.

The way we buy games is being eroded thanks to digital downloads, so why not do the same with hardware?
Old 27-10-20, 12:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbobaby View Post
Why spend thousands on PC gear or £450 on a PS5? Over the life of a console, it's cheaper to "rent", always up to date, instant access no matter where you are, instant resume, instantly swap a game, games look amazing (bandwidth depending), and they look amazing on a potato.

The way we buy games is being eroded thanks to digital downloads, so why not do the same with hardware?

The same way digital will never be better than analogue. I get your point and it is the way we are going but for those wanting only the best... streaming wont even come close to mediocre.
Old 27-10-20, 03:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbobaby View Post

IMO this has got to happen or storage prices need to drop off a cliff. If you are using NVME storage, the full modern warfare experience is costing £££ just in storage alone, keep this up and who is going to buy a console that they can only have 1 or 2 games on at a time, might as well call them arcade machines at that point. And the fact that if it was done properly, most people wont need to spend much at all given that most smart TV's could natively stream games if there was a way to run a controller to them. don't be surprised if we start seeing Samsung and LG ect hard baking one or another streaming services into their TV's. This could well be a way for Sony to make a huge comeback and just have their TV's connect with PS4/5 controllers and push PlayStation now (if that's even a thing still?)
Old 27-10-20, 06:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah when we're in the age of high bandwidth sub-2ms latency broadband connections, then there would be no real limits to the medium, in which case it would become a straight datacentre vs PC fight. In terms of economics, or delivering the best possible experience, data centres wins hands down: Datacentre gaming would allow for much more powerful machines and cheaper life time costs due to their much more efficient use of resources.

But while many developed countries still use copper broadband (At least for the last mile) yeah it's just a tech demo. Will be a sudden switch when that ends though so companies have to be ready for it.
Old 27-10-20, 07:31 PM
OC3D Elite

I don't think the majority of the enthousiast and or pro gamers will ever embrace this as a viable option to play games, the latency and reliability of service is a huge factor and both of these are very prevelant issues on conventions where pro gamers play out their tournaments, enthousiasts just don't like compromising when there is no need to and you can run it locally without said dependance on latency and stability.

Facebook is just trying to see if they can do it with casual games to see if its a thing they can monotize BADLY, because that is a classic thing to do when it comes to facebook.