Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 27-10-20, 06:13 PM
News Guru

Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed... again

Cyberpunk 2077 is now due to release on December 10th.

Read more about Cyberpunk 2077's latest delay.

Old 27-10-20, 06:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Sounds tough, devs found out about delay today
Old 27-10-20, 06:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Aaaaand this is exactly why I did not tie up £50 odd of my money.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 27-10-20, 06:50 PM
OC3D Elite

This is very disturbing, a game being made under severe crunch in this day and age with a god awful pandemic raging around the world is just disgusting behaviour and i will not support it by buying this game on full price if at all.

It doesn't matter how good it is if it's being made under conditions like these all the while cdpr is behaving like they are the good guys in the industry with the gog store and no drm and all that.
Old 27-10-20, 07:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Scan has a reported £4m in 30 series pre orders. OCUK, reportedly (according to a friend of mine) has £7m.

So, that's 11 million pounds gathering interest for products they do not have and can't even ship because they don't have the item.

This, IMO, should be illegal. It all seems to have been invented by gaming companies. Now some don't actually take your cash before launch day, but I just don't see the point in it at all.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 27-10-20, 08:16 PM
Old N Gold

@Dark Night and @Alien

Maybe the reason for this is because the industry never used to have such problems. Games weren't repeatedly delayed like this, and major GPU releases weren't plagued by such poor capacity. But they're becoming so regular that the industry needs to change.

In other fields, such as guitar amps, pre-ordering and putting money down was usually considered a sure thing. If the product was delayed or not up to scratch, bad things would happen to that company, sometimes irreversible damage. However, Nvidia will be fine. CD Project Red will be fine. In these other industries, pre-ordering 99% guaranteed a working and satisfactory product on time. In the gaming industry, that also used to be the case, hence why pre-ordering used to be a safe bet.

The gaming industry needs to realise it no longer is.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 27-10-20, 08:50 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Crunch happens in software development. Doesn't matter if it's a game or not. It's been this way a long long time. Heck when I was going through school we had crunch time everyday for a year. And if you didn't get enough done you repeated(you had to do good work of course). It's not like this is all new to anyone who's gotten a degree in CS.

Complaining now that it's ridiculous is kinda funny. I don't see people complaining about how small studios or even one man developers basically live the crunch until after release. Why? Because nobody pays attention to them. Just because CDPR is a big studio they get the attention.

It's a thing. You get hired you know what happens and any person wanting to get the job should ask about it(if the company doesn't talk about it first) and ask for policy on it. Ask other employees as well to get a non biased answer.

Sure companies can exploit the people making the games, however you'd definitely hear about it in this day and age. Working for a big studio like that, you have plenty of experience to get a new job if you feel you are being exploited. They choose to stay. There are other options for them, whether it's within the gaming industry or outside of it in more traditional software development.

People need to realize as well that games are incredibly complex and are ever increasing in complexity. With complexity comes more man hours to solve. They go hand in hand. You want better and better games? Well it requires more work. Don't want crunch? Good luck buying a game that didn't require crunch at some point to some extent.
Old 27-10-20, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still looking forward to the game it's 3 weeks longer to wait, as for the crunch there are plenty of jobs i've had that were long hours, not saying it's right but in the games industry it's very normal, it needs to change in lots of job roles not just this one case.
Old 27-10-20, 09:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Crunching is a result of bad management, which is common but not the same as "inevitable in software development". It's also avoidable.

It's also terribly inefficient. You can't produce good code for 100 hours a week, heck, even half of that is a stretch.
Old 27-10-20, 11:00 PM

I haven't pre-ordered in years and will never do it again, I've been burned so many times it's embarrassing.

I can wait a week or two and buy post launch, only after the community is happy with the release.

For those of you hating on a publisher for forcing a crunch... it's inevitable. They eventually have no choice but to stick to a release day, they've often spent tens of millions of £ or $. They need to recoup that money to keep other projects on the go.

Of course, that said, someone will mention Activision, there's always an exception to the rule and mention the greediest publisher on the planet.