Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-10-20, 10:59 PM

Same move as they did with Ryzen 9 3950X, a GPU-bait to make you spend $200 more.

Old 09-10-20, 11:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Something that consumes far less power will never be inferior.
That's a good point, and it seems that Nvidia flew way too close to the sun with Ampere, full Rx590 style. Dropping power target doesn't impact performance nearly as much as one might anticipate - it's hard to imagine a reason for that other than Big Navi's fairly decent horsepower.

Quote:
AMD's drivers are actually IMO better than Nvidia's. Their front end is miles better than Nvidia's aged old crap too.
So their UI for software which ideally is set up and forget is a bit dated? Boo-hoo I say.

But I don't care for UI either way - new school google electron like or older Windows XP UI, whatever. As long as it's stable.

Though admittedly my view is rather one-sided since my latest Radeon was a 5850, and since then I never wanted to endure another sh*t-show like that, and people I know who have given Radeon a chance haven't exactly been issue free. Not to mention that Radeon GPUs are a stark minority according to Steam hardware surveys - but they sure aren't that in issue threads posted on forums.

But in the end competition is going to benefit consumers, and I hope Radeon won't drop the ball with this one. AMD's CPU department ironed out software issues with their chips pronto! If they can churn out a product which processes vertices at 3080 speed, is stable, and consumes less power, it's a great product. But there's a fair few ifs in that equation.
Old 10-10-20, 05:46 AM
OC3D Elite

My Radeon VII eats 1440p quite easily, and coupled with an HDR monitor looks bloody *stunning* in a game that supports it. I just started playing Horizon Zero Dawn, and in HDR it looks jaw-dropping. That game looks so much better on the Radeon VII than it does on a 2080ti. Yes, the 2080ti gets higher frames, put looks far worse doing it. Heck it looks so good I started playing it on my main gaming rig with the 2080ti, but after seeing how smooth and pretty it is in HDR, I restarted a new game on my all-AMD rig.

All that to say I know AMD can deliver a decent GPU. As finicky as it is, the Radeon VII is an *excellent* GPU, once you get it underwater. They have the capability. FPS charts do not tell the tale.

Old 10-10-20, 10:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Well, Polaris, Vega, ect were all pretty trouble free with drivers, before Navi independent investigations were finding AMD had the more stable drivers, I guess RDNA1 was a complete change and it definitely set them back a bit in the driver sphere, but with RDNA2 being an evolution hopefully we should be back to their stability of GCN post-2013/consoles, especially given RDNA2 will be the most popular gaming architecture for the next 7 years or so, as with GCN. It was great being able to use a mid range 2012 GPU (HD7870XT) well for 8 years with new games thanks to that optimisation and long term full driver support (I think Kepler was dropped several years ago in comparison).
Old 10-10-20, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

If that is the top card, then these new Navi cards will trade blows with the 3080.

Either way i'm buying one
Old 10-10-20, 04:23 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Something that consumes far less power will never be inferior.

With Navi (the original) it wasn't so much bad drivers. There was a flaw on the chip itself that caused the black screen. So whatever they did to fix that disabled whatever it was that was the bug.

I had a bug on my Vega 64 (pink screen crash) that was never fixed. So I hope this time they have worked a little harder and maybe at least invested a little more heavily into it.

Especially if they are going to start demanding more money for their products. Which they have been since Nvidia artificially inflated all the prices. They've been cosily slotting their inferior GPUs in behind Nvidia and charging ever so slightly less for them, whilst at the same time expecting people to put up with issues.

AMD's drivers are actually IMO better than Nvidia's. Their front end is miles better than Nvidia's aged old crap too. There was a while there when they were really focusing hard on drivers and improving games with every launch. Then they seemed to just let off the gas some and yeah, the "insert colour here" screen issues started.
I've been a constant user of AMD GPU's for 10 years now either in my main rig or in my HTPC but I have always had an AMD GPU on hand, In all honesty Navi has been quite unstable in the driver department even up until recently if you just tweaked the fan speed it could cause a driver crash, Happened many times so I just ended up leaving it alone and letting the card do its own thing, Same with Wattman in general, quite unstable.

For a plug and play card though the 5700XT is decent if you don't play around with the clocks, Volts, Power usage, Fan speed etc...

Old 10-10-20, 05:02 PM
Old N Gold

I'm totally split on whether this is the best AMD can offer. It's not uncommon for a GPU to behind another in one game and ahead in a different game but ultimately being the same overall, so this whole idea of comparing three games to the 3080 in an uncontrolled environment is very much missing a large portion of the picture.

But I do wonder whether AMD are holding back.

I remember when they showed Vega 64 for the first time playing Doom. That was the best case scenario at the time. Forza eventually became their shining jewel, but GTX 1080 performance is all that the Vega 64 could offer and that's pretty much where it stayed.

This time, even if the RTX 3080 is all that AMD can muster, if it's cheaper, draws less power, and has wider availability, they've fixed the biggest issues of Vega and Ampere.

Still, I would love to see AMD beat the 3080 consistently so that Nvidia is forced to release a 3080Ti that has most of the power of the 3090 but at a much cheaper price. Now that AMD have demonstrated Navi 21, I wonder whether this is as good as it's going to get. Maybe they're holding back performance to trick Nvidia, but Nvidia will be prepared for either eventuality so I don't think it makes much of a difference.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 10-10-20, 05:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah that's about where my head is at. Still completely torn as to whether that really is it.

If it is? £600 I reckon. They will slot it in just below the 3080 price.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 10-10-20, 05:26 PM
OC3D Elite

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2264233-1-1.html

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 11-10-20, 08:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I'm totally split on whether this is the best AMD can offer. It's not uncommon for a GPU to behind another in one game and ahead in a different game but ultimately being the same overall, so this whole idea of comparing three games to the 3080 in an uncontrolled environment is very much missing a large portion of the picture.

But I do wonder whether AMD are holding back.

I remember when they showed Vega 64 for the first time playing Doom. That was the best case scenario at the time. Forza eventually became their shining jewel, but GTX 1080 performance is all that the Vega 64 could offer and that's pretty much where it stayed.

This time, even if the RTX 3080 is all that AMD can muster, if it's cheaper, draws less power, and has wider availability, they've fixed the biggest issues of Vega and Ampere.

Still, I would love to see AMD beat the 3080 consistently so that Nvidia is forced to release a 3080Ti that has most of the power of the 3090 but at a much cheaper price. Now that AMD have demonstrated Navi 21, I wonder whether this is as good as it's going to get. Maybe they're holding back performance to trick Nvidia, but Nvidia will be prepared for either eventuality so I don't think it makes much of a difference.
I think this is the main issue. People want something from AMD in order for them to buy Nvidia at a better price.

What we need is people switching to AMD outright so that Nvidia have to "drastically" lower their prices to win people back. Not drop it a little as an incentive to stay with them. Easier said than done of course since I think the same way as you. Its hard to move from the green team when their cards dominate so much. At least until now.