Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Customer Care Forums > Asus UK Customer Care Forums

Old 25-07-17, 03:12 PM
The Guvnor

I spoke about Sata 5&6 in many videos actually.

But no I didnt test if it shares bandwidth or switches it off. Id assume people would take the worst case scenario.

Having a pop at me really isnt fair though and a bit low actually.

If youve got 6 drives attached its not actually my fault you didnt think this may be an issue and seek an answer before buying

This is just one of the reasons B350's can be a bit limted and force people to X370. Its a platform limitation by AMD at the end of the day

You can always look to get some bigger drives and move your data around or swap out for the X370 that has two more SATA ports

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 27-07-17, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
I spoke about Sata 5&6 in many videos actually.

But no I didnt test if it shares bandwidth or switches it off. Id assume people would take the worst case scenario.

Having a pop at me really isnt fair though and a bit low actually.

If youve got 6 drives attached its not actually my fault you didnt think this may be an issue and seek an answer before buying

This is just one of the reasons B350's can be a bit limted and force people to X370. Its a platform limitation by AMD at the end of the day

You can always look to get some bigger drives and move your data around or swap out for the X370 that has two more SATA ports
you may need to read more carefully next time.

first, i vented off a little bit, sure.
but not especially aimed at you. i wrote about vloggers in general.
and what i wrote is my honest opinion.

take what i wrote about "reviews" to heart or not, but i know many people think that way.

in the end, i came here because your reviews are good.
just the focus on performance numbers is a bit too heavy i think.

i rather hear more about quirks and issues that are discovered while building a system.
because THAT is information i donīt get at every channel out there.

Quote:
second, i wrote a few times i ACTUALLY INFORMED MYSELF PRIOR TO BUYING (in all caps so itīs not ignored again).

but the info from asus and AMD was MISLEADING and they now fixed that because i and others complained. see the links i posted in my posting on page 1.

i thought that i can get infos about this at an "official UK asus support forum".
that i did not was a bit disappointing... i have to admit.
i thought employees from asus visit this forum. i guess i was wrong?

i use an M.2 bootdrive, two ssdīs and two data drives.
what i want is a another optical drive.

i doubt that this is an unusal configuration for someone who does more than benchmarking a system or gaming (that is not meant as an offense, just a fact).

Quote:
actually no. itīs is not that easy in my case.

a bigger drive and partitions will not work for me.

i need a physical D: drive and an E: drive.
i canīt use partitions because i need to swap them from home to work and the path have to fit.
itīs a bit complicated to explain. it is just the best way for me to have them as separate drives.
beside that, they are 6 and 8 TB drives already.

the two ssdīs are also hard to replace (well expensive).
they are 1 TB drives and i would need to buy a 2 TB drive.

also i like to be able to switch them out separately.

thought that has nothing to do with the topic.
Old 28-07-17, 04:04 AM
OC3D Elite

I have an old Gigabyte Z77 UD3R and that had a nice sticker on SATA 5 saying it won't work if you populate the mSATA slot.

TBH I'd always assumed that 'shared' bandwidth means just that - it shares. I'm glad now I've found out it most likely means you can use one or the other but not both.

Old 28-07-17, 09:33 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
you may need to read more carefully next time.

i rather hear more about quirks and issues that are discovered while building a system.
because THAT is information i donīt get at every channel out there.

I pretty sure that when TTL comes across issues in his builds for reviews he does clearly announce them. You cant expect reviewers to do a 6hour video / 100 page document on all the bugs and small problems with a new board do you? imagine having to repeat it for EVERY x299, Z270, x399 board they need to review, its just nonsense.

And when I read your first post, the sarcasm and way you worded it made it quite clear to me you were having a dig at Asus as well as TTL.

When I decide on a board I don't just watch reviews here, I look at several and draw up a big picture on the common aspects and flaws.

Anyway, based on your needs since it sounds like you hotswap your drives for home and work use, it looks like you realised buying a BXXX board was not the greatest plan. That being said, what about fixing yourself with some kind of NAS?
Old 16-08-17, 03:15 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralDonut View Post
Mate, you came to the OC3D forums, and you didn't even have the common courtesy to check who you were talking to. You were talking to the owner of OC3D, which you'd have noticed if you weren't busy being obnoxious. This sub forum is not titled "Official" anything, and TinyTom is not an ASUS employee, so perhaps next time it is YOU who should learn to read. And then learn some manners.
Whilst I am in no way defending his attitude or behaviour, this forum is listed as "official".

Old 06-09-17, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickOmega View Post
Whilst I am in no way defending his attitude or behaviour, this forum is listed as "official".

correct .. i checked to whom i am talking too and i read the forum titel before being "obnoxious".

well i would call it honest and not obnoxious... but some need to pour a bit of sugar on anything as it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralDonut
so perhaps next time it is YOU who should learn to read.
well, i am not even native english speaking and obviously can read better than the angry donut admiral (or maybe i just have better eyes).

Quote:
And then learn some manners.
itīs always the most angry people on the internet who talk about manners.

but what excatly did upset you in my post?
keep in mind i am using my school english.
im not fit to sit on the queens table and talk all fancy....

at least i had the manners to post the solution to my question after i found it
thatīs something 90% of the people who ask a question on the internet do not.

and as i wrote, i thought this IS an OFFICIAL asus support forum (as stated in the title).
so when i came across a bit rough because i got no real answer, it was more aimed at asus than tom.
Old 06-09-17, 09:01 PM

Gothmoth I appreciate you are upset with asus. If the spec was misleading return the board and go directly to asus to let them know. Speak to your local service center. Raise it on the asus ROG forum and let the asus staff respond. Go straight to the source, the retailer and the supplier
From experience shared bandwidth suggests that what ever the outcome was going to be when you had both devices plugged in you were going to get a degradation in bandwidth in at least one if not both. The limitations are in the platform and I have seen it on b350 boards.
I had a long weekend with the x370f I have seen plenty of reviews of the board but none saw any of the issues that I experienced. Do I think the reviewers got it wrong. No. Every set up is different and there are so many variables that cannot be tested in a review. The limitations of most boards are only found when you put your own rig together. I had numerous problems with the uefi on my board and raised them Directly with retailer and asus and so I returned the board.
A lot of reviewers miss many of the fine details of spec. It's difficult to convey every nuance without a weekend review. TTL is the exception he often raises issues other reviews don't and he gives a personal honest opinion in a length of review video that most are scared to make because they are more worried about views than the quality of reviews. If you have a problem with reviewers then go and air your views in the appropriate place. I think on this occasion it was somewhat misplaced. TTL even tried to help you out when you were clearly having a pop at him.
Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC
Cougar Panzer
Old 09-09-17, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcorp View Post
I had a long weekend with the x370f I have seen plenty of reviews of the board but none saw any of the issues that I experienced. Do I think the reviewers got it wrong. No. Every set up is different and there are so many variables that cannot be tested in a review.

to be honest i donīt know if i would agree 100% on that.

if i only setup windows10 on a system, run a few benchmarks, i wonīt run into a lot of the problems that are mentioned by users in forums.

thatīs why i wrote it needs really working with a system to write a good objective mainboard "review".
instead of a benchmark and specs report.

but some issue are obvious.
they are also not system or configuration depending.
they may happen random. but they donīt depend on which RAM or GPU you have in your system.

i donīt expect a reviewer to figure out ALL issues... of course not.
but it surprises me, that the majority of reviewers fail to mention any issue at all.
itīs like all the boards they review just work flawless and just differ in benchmarks, specs and OC potential.

and if something is mentioned itīs often just a general "the bios needs to mature a bit".

i know that the stuff TTL and other reviewers do takes a lot of time.
and many will love the graphs with all the benchmark numbers who vary by 5% from mainboard to mainboard (sorry sarcasm again ).

but what i think would be more valuable for a possible customer, is hearing about possible issues.
and to be honest nearly no youtube reviewer does that.
and how could they? they review way too much stuff in a short amount of time.
some issue with my Z270 board i only noticed after a week or more of 8 hour a day working with it.

but fact is for the crosshair 6 i only saw one really critical review after release (*).
and it seems to hit the nail on the head.

(*) and some of the issues are still not fixed with the latest bios.
Old 09-09-17, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
to be honest i donīt know if i would agree 100% on that.

if i only setup windows10 on a system, run a few benchmarks, i wonīt run into a lot of the problems that are mentioned by users in forums.

thatīs why i wrote it needs really working with a system to write a good objective mainboard "review".
instead of a benchmark and specs report.

but some issue are obvious.
they are also not system or configuration depending.
they may happen random. but they donīt depend on which RAM or GPU you have in your system.

i donīt expect a reviewer to figure out ALL issues... of course not.
but it surprises me, that the majority of reviewers fail to mention any issue at all.
itīs like all the boards they review just work flawless and just differ in benchmarks, specs and OC potential.

and if something is mentioned itīs often just a general "the bios needs to mature a bit".

i know that the stuff TTL and other reviewers do takes a lot of time.
and many will love the graphs with all the benchmark numbers who vary by 5% from mainboard to mainboard (sorry sarcasm again ).

but what i think would be more valuable for a possible customer, is hearing about possible issues.
and to be honest nearly no youtube reviewer does that.
and how could they? they review way too much stuff in a short amount of time.
some issue with my Z270 board i only noticed after a week or more of 8 hour a day working with it.

but fact is for the crosshair 6 i only saw one really critical review after release (*).
and it seems to hit the nail on the head.

(*) and some of the issues are still not fixed with the latest bios.
I think your minimising the amount of work that goes into producing sets of benchmarks. A good reviewer like TTL probably spends hours/days/weeks bench marking and exploring a product.
From experience the process of overclocking a cpu on a new board is extremely time intensive to ensure stability. Reviewing a product is not a quick process. The max overclock figure you see took blood sweat and tears in many cases. The reviewer gets to know a board/cpu/GPU very well.
TTL has raised multiple issues with products that he has reviewed. Sometimes quite serious ones. There are going to be bugs with a new product. The ryzen platform has had all kinds of issues with memory speed and memory compatibility and TTL has talked about that. The entire reviewing industry would be dead if they had to check every aspect of the board. They would spend months on a single motherboard. Thats ASUS's testing department's scope.
I understand why you were upset with your Asus board. The problem is that the literature said there would be some kind of compromise. Its not the reviewers fault that the board has compromises. Thats the responsibility of the consumer to ensure that they have read the manuals and sought clarification from the vendor.
Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC
Cougar Panzer