Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-01-17, 12:10 AM
OC3D Elite

TBH Vega isn't that important to me right now, as I have a nice white Strix 1060 coming to me when Tom gets some spare time, so i'm more interested on Ryzen and how it does and what it costs compared to a 7600k

RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 11-01-17, 01:55 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
TBH Vega isn't that important to me right now, as I have a nice white Strix 1060 coming to me when Tom gets some spare time, so i'm more interested on Ryzen and how it does and what it costs compared to a 7600k
Oooh congrats!!

I think to be honest anyone that upgrades for every refresh/generation of CPU or GPU is either full on bleeding edge enthusiast or has a lot of disposable income. It just doesn't make sense to upgrade that often, financially at least. It's just diminishing returns.

Still I'd love to be able to

I'll look at GPU's again when I next change my monitors. The 980s are starting to show some weakness at 5760*1080 on ultra settings now but I think it's mainly a lack of VRAM holding them back.

Volta vs Vega will be an interesting time to be in the market for a new card.

Old 11-01-17, 04:33 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I'm only interested in the lowest/ best price-performance card from the Vega line, as my current 480 is just annoying the **** out of me. Probably be a long time before I go MSI again(unless they are the only good cards for vega..)

If I didn't dislike my card so much, the 480 would be perfectly fine for me. Handles 1440p like a charm for what games I play.
Old 11-01-17, 04:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I'm only interested in the lowest/ best price-performance card from the Vega line, as my current 480 is just annoying the **** out of me. Probably be a long time before I go MSI again(unless they are the only good cards for vega..)

If I didn't dislike my card so much, the 480 would be perfectly fine for me. Handles 1440p like a charm for what games I play.
Why don't you like your card?

Old 11-01-17, 05:25 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimma47 View Post
Why don't you like your card?
The RGB control software was terrible. Would cause driver crashes, unstable clock speeds(didn't matter the setting), RGB options wouldn't work unless it was running, ie, wouldn't save a profile and keep the light settings. Would default back to white. The other "features" wouldn't work either. So many problems I can't even remember.
Then they released an update, did that, and got worse. While it wouldn't crash my driver/PC anymore, the LEDs were wack. Instead of say a solid blue, it would look washed out and no matter the effort it would never get to a solid color. All colors are washed out. Went back to the old version, LEDs still won't work. Still washed out even though they were fine before(just weren't permanent). Besides that, it's a terrible OC'er. Wouldn't even run the "Game Mode" clocks. Have to up the power limit and core voltage for a stable GPU. I tried the "OC Mode" it laughed at me. Black screened and force restarted..

So yeah, terrible software and hardware. I had a temp Strix 470 before the 480, never had an issue with it. Software worked(slow as heck but worked right) and clocked fairly well. So definitely not a Radeon issue. Just MSI's. I'll probably go back to XFX and stay there tbh.
Old 11-01-17, 06:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
The RGB control software was terrible. Would cause driver crashes, unstable clock speeds(didn't matter the setting), RGB options wouldn't work unless it was running, ie, wouldn't save a profile and keep the light settings. Would default back to white. The other "features" wouldn't work either. So many problems I can't even remember.
Then they released an update, did that, and got worse. While it wouldn't crash my driver/PC anymore, the LEDs were wack. Instead of say a solid blue, it would look washed out and no matter the effort it would never get to a solid color. All colors are washed out. Went back to the old version, LEDs still won't work. Still washed out even though they were fine before(just weren't permanent). Besides that, it's a terrible OC'er. Wouldn't even run the "Game Mode" clocks. Have to up the power limit and core voltage for a stable GPU. I tried the "OC Mode" it laughed at me. Black screened and force restarted..

So yeah, terrible software and hardware. I had a temp Strix 470 before the 480, never had an issue with it. Software worked(slow as heck but worked right) and clocked fairly well. So definitely not a Radeon issue. Just MSI's. I'll probably go back to XFX and stay there tbh.
I wonder whether it was the software specifically or you just had a bad card? I guess the more features they pack into stuff these days the more there is to go wrong.

Old 11-01-17, 07:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
I have a Strix 1060 and it is a very good clocker indeed.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 11-01-17, 07:31 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimma47 View Post
I wonder whether it was the software specifically or you just had a bad card? I guess the more features they pack into stuff these days the more there is to go wrong.
Both tbh. Without that software running/installed. It's fine. Just still a bad clocker, but better than a crashing pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
I have a Strix 1060 and it is a very good clocker indeed.
Was under the assumption all the Nvidia cards clock pretty good?
Old 11-01-17, 08:03 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Both tbh. Without that software running/installed. It's fine. Just still a bad clocker, but better than a crashing pc

Was under the assumption all the Nvidia cards clock pretty good?
There is more to a high clockspeed than just speed.

I have 2 1060s, the other one is the FE 1060.

When I bench the Strix to the max it is artefact free, the FE on the other hand artefacts like mad even though both cards clock very well.

This could be down to cooling or just the silicon lottery.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 11-01-17, 08:21 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
How many times have we heard that .

maybe we should all place bets peeps
Way too many times now.

I'm sure you said when you had a GTX980 i think you said at the time i will not be upgrading to GTX980Ti and what did you do you upgraded

I think Dice will have the GTX1080Ti anywhere between when it comes out to August this year