Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 19-11-19, 09:29 AM
trawetSluaP's Avatar
trawetSluaP trawetSluaP is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Latency is still less than a lot of TVs filter modes tbf. Not pro gamer tier but it's less than last gen consoles. If you used an average TV/not setup right and a wireless controller you'd probably end up in a similar ballpark in terms of total latency.

While Stadia has no competition it seems like it will do OK, this is a very popular niche they're breaking in to, its essentially the new premium handheld gaming platform. But its unlikely they could compete with XCloud.
Most modern TV's, including my own have a Game Mode with less then 20MS response time.

__________________
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 19-11-19, 09:58 AM
meuvoy meuvoy is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It will still be bought by millions who don't even know what latency is.
This is some future thing. I really don't see why google is doing this now... Game streaming is a technology about 4-5 years away. When we have 5G actually implemented and you don't need expensive, high speed fiber optic connections for a solid 1ms latency connection to the internet, then something like this will be worth it, especially when you're out and just want to chill in the backseat for example. For now tho, it's really just something for the really lazy ones that don't want to mess with cables behind their TV.

I will be testing it when my ISP installs my fiber connection but I do not have high hopes, and to be honest, I don't find pricing to be good enough to justify.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19-11-19, 09:59 AM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
Most modern TV's, including my own have a Game Mode with less then 20MS response time.
Exactly, it takes a modern TV with gamemode to get down to 20ms, for just as many it will probably be in the same 40-50ms ballpark as Stadia. Use a generic or last gen wireless controller and that's another 15ms on top anyway.

If you had audio lagging an image by this 50ms delta a human would still be a very long way off being able to tell they're out of sync, it's not a noticeable amount for us with our 250ms reaction times(Obviously the tables turn in the very specific competitive scene but I don't think there's many of those games here).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 19-11-19, 10:02 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,543
This whole thing though... MS spoke up and claimed as well as a discreet towards Google, that streaming in this respect is still a few years away. The above issues confirm it.

Even UBISOFT CEO stated that we will see at least one more generation of consoles before streaming becomes the new gaming method.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 19-11-19, 10:11 AM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
This whole thing though... MS spoke up and claimed as well as a discreet towards Google, that streaming in this respect is still a few years away. The above issues confirm it.
Depends on the market you're in ofc, UK/US and much of Europe are like 20+ years behind Japan or eastern European countries with nationalised broadband infrastructure in terms of fibre coverage. UK could have had a full scale roll out in 1990 if it wasn't for privatisation but lets not get into that.

I don't see a point kicking up a fuss that companies aren't focusing on ME right now, because things will move along quickly and everything has teething issues. We've now got 22 cities in the UK with 5G coverage so it's hard to say we have no market for it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 19-11-19, 01:29 PM
Darkdayzzz Darkdayzzz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by meuvoy View Post
When we have 5G actually implemented and you don't need expensive, high speed fiber optic connections

These words won't ever happen. 5G will be nice sure but it be expensive as all get out, over-hyped (much like it currently is), and probably not nearly as stable as fiber is. 5G will likely launch, fall on its face for 5 years, then get better as ISP won't be able to leave it alone and will have to finally fix their infrastructure.


Atleast we can hope haha.


Also don't forget about the data caps you'll hit really fast and that will cause that awesome 5G speed to kill itself over and over again and become nigh unusable if you are in a third world internet country like myself in the US! YAY!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 19-11-19, 01:33 PM
demonking's Avatar
demonking demonking is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 938
I just feel sorry for the uninformed masses that buy these expecting to get what google advertised. Anyone who has spoken to me ref these has been advised to keep well away for at least 6 months. Its not ready, the game publishers are not ready and the network infrastructure barely exists to get what is being advertised. I don't understand companies that race to get to the post first at the cost of reputation and integrity, but its google so what did I expect.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19-11-19, 02:28 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz View Post
These words won't ever happen. 5G will be nice sure but it be expensive as all get out, over-hyped (much like it currently is), and probably not nearly as stable as fiber is. 5G will likely launch, fall on its face for 5 years, then get better as ISP won't be able to leave it alone and will have to finally fix their infrastructure.


Atleast we can hope haha.


Also don't forget about the data caps you'll hit really fast and that will cause that awesome 5G speed to kill itself over and over again and become nigh unusable if you are in a third world internet country like myself in the US! YAY!
5G has already launched, already standard on the top tier data plan of many mobile suppliers here, Ookla did an in detail review of real world 5G in the UK yesterday and found typical FTTC tier latency and download speeds across the board. Unlimited data 5G contracts are about £30, which is roughly the same as our home broadband costs at 50mbps.
https://www.speedtest.net/insights/b...-kingdom-2019/

[Speeds are ofc slower than countries that haven't had a full scale roll out and a few months of mass availability but at least it gives us a good early idea of somewhat loaded 5G networks]

But still, fibre should and likely will be cheaper, we're just getting slightly shafted in the West in that regard.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19-11-19, 04:17 PM
demonking's Avatar
demonking demonking is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
5G has already launched, already standard on the top tier data plan of many mobile suppliers here, Ookla did an in detail review of real world 5G in the UK yesterday and found typical FTTC tier latency and download speeds across the board. Unlimited data 5G contracts are about £30, which is roughly the same as our home broadband costs at 50mbps.
https://www.speedtest.net/insights/b...-kingdom-2019/

[Speeds are ofc slower than countries that haven't had a full scale roll out and a few months of mass availability but at least it gives us a good early idea of somewhat loaded 5G networks]

But still, fibre should and likely will be cheaper, we're just getting slightly shafted in the West in that regard.
It'll be even cheaper if Corbyn gets in with free FTTC for all and a 4 day week to play on your new Stadia lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19-11-19, 05:10 PM
tgrech tgrech is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,544
Well BT did spend decades developing fibre optic tech into a viable system because it would have been cheaper to do a roll out when work was complete in the 80's than extending out and maintaining copper. But alas, Thatcher sold off the tech, IP and factories that were ready to deliver FTTH across the country in 1990 and left us with private companies whose only desire was to drag out copper to reduce short term costs.

Nationalising the infrastructure division of BT (OpenReach) is 3 decades overdue, this British tax-payer developed tech should never have been sold for scraps to Tory MP mates in the first place. The Tory govt's own reports on the loss of productivity to the third of UK businesses struggling with inadequate access puts the economic damage in the tens of £Bn's annually.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 06:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.