Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 12-11-19, 08:56 PM
News Guru

Intel has revealed 77 new chip vulnerabilities, one of which has a notable impact

Intel's JCC erratum bug is said to have a performance impact of 0-4% excluding outliers.

Read more about Intel's reveal of 77 new vulnerabilities.

Old 12-11-19, 09:48 PM
OC3D Elite

So glad i ditched my intel right now.
Old 12-11-19, 11:24 PM
Resident Newb

Holy crap XD

I'm hoping updates that hurt performance are optional, Not too worried about a world class hacker targeting me.

Old 12-11-19, 11:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Holy crap XD

I'm hoping updates that hurt performance are optional, Not too worried about a world class hacker targeting me.
Spectre & Meltdown can be disabled via registry very easily : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erabilities-in and also with 3rd part app here https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
Intel Core i9 7980xe @ 4.5GHz @1.18v - MSI MEG X299 - NoName 2666mhz @ CL19 3200mhz - Thermal Take View Glass - PM961 1TB x2 - Aorous Extreme RTX 2080 Ti - 2 x 360 Rad + D5 Pump - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz
Old 13-11-19, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
Haha same!

Don't fail me now Ryzen 3600x
Old 13-11-19, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post

Ridiculous.

The chances of the average home user EVER being affected by any of these 'vulnerabilities' is between zero & never.

You'd better to worry about being struck by lightning every time you left your house.
Old 13-11-19, 11:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Ridiculous.

The chances of the average home user EVER being affected by any of these 'vulnerabilities' is between zero & never.

You'd better to worry about being struck by lightning every time you left your house.

I know this, i know it is a very very small chance to get hit, but you cannot deny that this sort of thing is bad, and what is worse about it, Intel keeps delivering "new" processors still on the same node, still without mitigations and this security nonsense has been going on for a while, yet they still sit on their 14nm security fail processors.

These mitigation patches cost performance, not everyone will know how to disable them, but for those that do notice performance drops after an update and not know anything about it, made their pc less good, and yet Intel still keeps selling their cpu's like it's nothing, that is why im glad that i moved over so i don't have to deal with Intel's nonsense myself.
Old 13-11-19, 12:01 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Ridiculous.

But the reason why this will never happen is because PCs are having mitigations applied to them. As such, a herd immunity is being created and exploits that use these security holes will have little chance of taking hold across a large number of PCs.

Think of it like vaccination. Sure, it's fine for individuals to not get vaccinated, but if enough people don't do it society is basically waiting for a disease to take hold and spead to the vulnerable.

Leaving vulnerabilities on the table is begging for somebody to exploit them eventually. Wannacry comes to mind.
Old 13-11-19, 01:40 PM
OC3D Elite

So... We are seeing patches now. But these flaws exist for 5-6 years. The assumption that someone hasn't been using them all this time...

Edit: Everyone is talking now. But... Let's say some hacker, or group found these exploits, or the worst one a year after the release of CPUs. They could have hacked The World without anyone even knowing. That would be quite literally The Skeleton Key.
Old 13-11-19, 03:55 PM
OC3D Crew

Companies should be fined heavily when these exploits are exposed on hardware that has been in the wild for years. Every other industry would, Imagine your work had not been complying with HS regulations for the last 5 years and then they were exposed or a car manufacturer had been selling a product that was not safe (at the end of the day this is all under the safety arm). They would drowning in fines and poor press. Perhaps then Intel ect will act on these sooner and spend more time on developing secure products before they release. with all these security updates going back as far as spectre, I wonder how much performance users of previous generations have lost. The feeling that they could have been mis-sold a product due to these is very real and some may be forced to upgrade due to this.