Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 05-11-19, 08:44 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 16,340
The UK's Atomic Weapons Establishment is Building a Supercomputer with AMD EPYC CPUs

Another UK Supercomputing win for AMD.



Read more about AMD EPYC processors powering AWE's Vulcan supercomputer.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-19, 08:53 PM
tgrech tgrech is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,529
Crazy, very recently found out my friend is doing his PhD work with the AWE, regarding nuclear deterrent development.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-19, 08:56 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,418
Not that fast for a supercomputer but if it's enough no need for more I guess.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-19, 08:50 AM
Giggyolly Giggyolly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 183
I'm a fan of anything that's called Vulcan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-19, 08:59 AM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 5,539
I shudder at the thought we still have atomic weapons in the world...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-19, 09:48 AM
g0ggles1994's Avatar
g0ggles1994 g0ggles1994 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Reactor No.4, The Zone
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I shudder at the thought we still have atomic weapons in the world...
Same, problem is that if we don't have them for deterrent, some lunatic will use them.
__________________
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.6GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue
ASUS RoG Strix Vega64 8GiB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-19, 10:07 AM
tgrech tgrech is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Same, problem is that if we don't have them for deterrent, some lunatic will use them.
Not really for the UK, there's only 3 nuclear states entirely within range of our missiles and they're all close allies. One further nuclear state is partially in reach, Russia, but the UKs stockpile would be incapable of overwhelming Russian defences and isn't a threat to them. Obviously, NATO has a policy of "nuke-sharing" so there's still a viable "deterrent" for all NATO countries, but actually possessing our own nukes is just an international policy penis waving thing, and it's becoming increasingly unclear who we're deterring against, given all nuclear states are either close allies or major partners in business.

Still, it's a great excuse to get politicians to throw more money at inadvertently developing fusion tech.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-19, 07:46 PM
g0ggles1994's Avatar
g0ggles1994 g0ggles1994 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Reactor No.4, The Zone
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Not really for the UK, there's only 3 nuclear states entirely within range of our missiles and they're all close allies. One further nuclear state is partially in reach, Russia, but the UKs stockpile would be incapable of overwhelming Russian defences and isn't a threat to them. Obviously, NATO has a policy of "nuke-sharing" so there's still a viable "deterrent" for all NATO countries, but actually possessing our own nukes is just an international policy penis waving thing, and it's becoming increasingly unclear who we're deterring against, given all nuclear states are either close allies or major partners in business.

Still, it's a great excuse to get politicians to throw more money at inadvertently developing fusion tech.
It's not necessarily a deterrent against other nuclear states in particular, but any form of invasion. It puts us in a position where we can say: "if we lose, you lose". Also, it's not just against who we're in range of now, it's also who we can be in range of anytime in the future.
__________________
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.6GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue
ASUS RoG Strix Vega64 8GiB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.