Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 17-10-19, 04:03 PM

Question Help for making Plasma display more confortable for reading

I have colorist/bluray authoring gig on the side, I used to have an crappy lcd monitor for reading and plasma for for everything else, I moved and I didn't have space for both displays so LCD had to go, I'm comfortable with plasma but after reading from it for a while my eyes get irritated, I guess it's because of flicker that I can see in peripheral vision and amount of infrared light it trows out; Do you guys & girls have any suggestions on how to make using plasma more comfortable, I see people using glasses with a bit of yellow tint when they work on PCs, would those things help?

Old 17-10-19, 04:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah it's the blue-er end of the frequencies of light that have the most impact on your melatonin release and some find on eye strain, so filtering that out whether via software(Windows has built in "Night mode" now or there's F.lux or you can just adjust the colour temperature settings to red shift everything) or yellow/red tinted glasses might help. Also the recommendation for comfortable text size on a screen is over about 3 times the smallest size you'd be able to read, dropping the brightness if it's already way above ambient will ofc help too and if it's already as low as it goes then again either software darking or a stronger tint on the glasses could help. Dark text on light background is usually the least strenuous but some people still prefer a very dark background with some high contrast display types.

(It's quite dependant on environment too, basically you want to try and match brightness and colour temperature to your ambient for best results during the day)
Old 17-10-19, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrech View Post
Yeah it's the blue-er end of the frequencies of light that have the most impact on your melatonin release and some find on eye strain, so filtering that out whether via software(Windows has built in "Night mode" now or there's F.lux or you can just adjust the colour temperature settings to red shift everything) or yellow/red tinted glasses might help. Also the recommendation for comfortable text size on a screen is over about 3 times the smallest size you'd be able to read, dropping the brightness if it's already way above ambient will ofc help too and if it's already as low as it goes then again either software darking or a stronger tint on the glasses could help. Dark text on light background is usually the least strenuous but some people still prefer a very dark background with some high contrast display types.

(It's quite dependant on environment too, basically you want to try and match brightness and colour temperature to your ambient for best results during the day)
Thanks for your advice. That display is calibrated as close to ISF mastering spec as it can be, and I don't really want to mess with settings, I don't think that it has anything to do with white point or light output, LCD was configured to be quite close to the plasma but obviously not as curate.
I attached Plasma measurements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	12680  
Old 17-10-19, 04:56 PM

BTW can you recommend any particular brand of those type of glasses?