Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 10-01-19, 07:44 PM
OC3D Crew

22' Monitor Blown capacitors (soldering)

Evening all.

Over the last few weeks my second monitor can take anywhere between 3-5 minutes to display a picture, the monitor works and powers on, and has another issue where the OSD menu keeps flashing up and adjusting my brightness and contrast for 100 to 0 and back again. Super Annoying.

Although yes, monitors can be had for cheap enough but I want to tackle this issue with my trusty repair skills..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...Gg5MjgzanZVRXM

Here's a few pictures of what I found, the internals have now been clean up, and dust free, and there is clearly at least 2 blown caps.
I'll be replacing both of the black capacitors simple enough as I got the uf and V values, but I'm confused on the blue one thats blown (same picture different view), I couldn't get the camera to an angle to take a picture of the text, and i dont know what they are even called (so I can search for prices)

Any Ideas, and tips and tricks greatly appreciated. =)

Old 10-01-19, 08:49 PM
Bettyswollocks

This one?

Old 10-01-19, 09:44 PM
OC3D Crew

That was the one I was referring to yes, but apparently its an adhesive to prevent vibrations and give it strength, kinda like gorilla glue... ok i guess =)

I've added another image to my google drive link 'The Problem 2.jpg' which has the capacitors bulging slightly and a brown center on the one.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Gg5MjgzanZVRXM

Off to the local electronics shop tomorrow i think. Before though I'll be listing all the capacitors on the power board and the video board, just incase.
Old 11-01-19, 11:53 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
That was the one I was referring to yes, but apparently its an adhesive to prevent vibrations and give it strength, kinda like gorilla glue... ok i guess =)

I've added another image to my google drive link 'The Problem 2.jpg' which has the capacitors bulging slightly and a brown center on the one.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Gg5MjgzanZVRXM

Off to the local electronics shop tomorrow i think. Before though I'll be listing all the capacitors on the power board and the video board, just incase.

Please actually post the pics rather than a link dude - its good forum eticate and you may get more people help if you do too

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 11-01-19, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

The flat round ones are ceramic disk capacitors, only liquid based electrolytic capacitors (The tubular ones) "blow" in the traditional sense, the ceramic ones usually end up in several parts if they do fail. They can certainly go bad, but it's far less common than with the electrolytic ones and usually more obvious. Also when you do replace them, remember the electrolytic ones have fixed polarities(Most caps besides can go in either way), or you'll end up with a few more blown caps (Much more violently this time).

Check out my latest piece of commissioned work: https://twitter.com/smart_tilt