Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 11-10-17, 02:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
My mate Sam's sister Sallie had one of those. I used to nick it from her. Rode lovely tbh but you looked like a total bell riding one ! They did a few variants of it IIRC to appeal to young girls

Also worth a mention - Tomahawk and Budgie. Both great bikes
and the "Chipper" Yellow IIRC

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 11-10-17, 02:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
and the "Chipper" Yellow IIRC
I just had to Google that as I had never heard of it !

Weird ! front wheel is bigger than I expected. I had one of these.

Exactly the same as that one. My mate had one of these when we were very young.

Great bike.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 12-10-17, 09:35 AM
OC3D Elite

The grips for the Burner arrived yesterday but there was no sun so it was hard to take pics. They're really nice. Kinda like a throwback to all of the cool grips from the 80s (Ame, Oakley etc)

And the ends. Of course, they need washing as they are covered in dust etc and rather sticky..

I am expecting other deliveries today, so should be back later with some more pics

Old 12-10-17, 10:51 AM
OC3D Elite

So are you working towards a bike for each day of the week?

Out of curiosity I looked on ebay surprised how cheap the old chopper and tomahawk are
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 12-10-17, 12:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
So are you working towards a bike for each day of the week?

Out of curiosity I looked on ebay surprised how cheap the old chopper and tomahawk are
I think Choppers have had their day in the sun now. However, fully restored or mint originals are still worth a fortune tbh. If you buy one and most of it needs replacing it becomes a money pit. It's the same as what I am doing really. Building a bike of any sort becomes a bit of a money pit, especially if you want genuine or repop parts from that specific era. I predict that this bike could end up costing £500. That's a lot of cash, but not when you consider something like this...

That is what they call a survivor. Some people go nuts for stuff like that but again I am logical. If indeed most of the parts on it are original* then most of them will be good for nothing. Example, the seat will be incredibly brittle, the tyres will be rubbish and would crumble if you tried to ride them and so on. Original parts again are uber expensive so by the time you made that thing look new you would be grands in.

Just getting those pedal cages anodized would cost you £150+

I want mine to be brand new using all new parts. I would rather they were almost like the originals but new etc. Mine will also have a new paint job, new decals, etc.. By the time you did that to that thing up there you would be looking at £3k. Which would mean you would need to have strong words with yourself.

The reason I went silver is because nobody really wanted it in silver. There will come a day where they are even harder to find than now (which would be really hard.. There are none for sale).

Any way, more parts

There are a couple of parts that are hard to get that I don't have now. The seat is going to cost me I am under no illusions about that. At least £40 or so for a repro. The pedals are hard but not impossible at under £25. Crank arms are pish they are everywhere. Not decided if I am going to get a basic set of silver wheels and leave them/candy them blue or what yet. Not too worried about that wheels are quite easy to get.

* the tyres on that are not original. They did not come with comp 3 copies they came with what I have, snake bellies and the grips are not original either they are off of a later bike.

Old 13-10-17, 10:58 AM
OC3D Elite

OK so yesterday I spent many hours removing the heron badge from the front of the bike. It was kinked (one of the small parts at the top was bent over folded) and it was black with dirt. It is also damaged quite badly at the bottom right (looks like some one rode it into a wall) but I bet at 35 years old it has some stories to tell so I was desperate to save it. General consensus is to smack it off with a chisel and put a sticker on. This was one thing I did not want to wipe the history from though, so yeah I got there eventually after some shaping and gentle polishing with my Dremel.

After many hours of research I found a place that sells these.

To put it back on properly with. The stem came this morning also.

Very happy with that

Old 13-10-17, 11:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Blimey it's been years since I have seen one of those badges

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 13-10-17, 11:10 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Blimey it's been years since I have seen one of those badges
Me too it was completely black it just looked like a blob of black metal. I have clear coated it to stop it going black again as it's brass.

Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so I have now ordered every single part for the bike. So including all of the parts above I now have -

Crank arms.

Double trap pedals from the 80s

New spider because the one I bought doesn't fit

(it's silver on silver it just looks like that in the pic).

Alex Supra double walled rims laced on loose ball hubs.

1980s Viscount MX seat

Full Dia Compe brake set

BB

Blue anno chain

Freewheel

Tubes

Original chain tensioners

And...

However I have learned a very valid lesson. Don't build old bikes. Few reasons really, but mainly - they are crap, heavy, over priced and so on. I could really rant on all day. All told by the time I am done I am looking at close to £700 for a bike I can't ride (tyre pressure max is 30 PSI my fat ass would destroy the rims) and it's also woefully short, with a top tube around 18 inches as opposed to the 21.5 my SEs have.

So yeah, although I will smile when I look at it I will know that I pretty much have a Burner with hardly anything original on it (though all of the parts are the same or better and brand new) and my wallet will be crying.

I had no idea just how expensive this would work out to be. So lesson learned I guess. Seriously some of these blokes on forums I read must spend thousands. One thing you never hear about is what the parts cost. Just that brake kit for some very old and rather crap brakes was £70. It's just insane !