Ooh another giveaway!

Old 21-02-18, 06:27 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Another one?! You spoil us Tom
Old 22-02-18, 01:54 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Me either. If I won I would feel like a right C U next tuesday. Or a Caring Understanding Nineties Type.
The Ocean word.

(Sea word for the non-native English speakers)

Old 22-02-18, 11:53 AM
OC3D Elite

haha !

Well today I did not have one brain zap at all. Just one problem, last night I was so depressed I wanted to take an overdose

Who do you think you are? running 'round leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts, tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold, from the ice inside your soul, so don't come back for me, don't come back at all.
Old 22-02-18, 01:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Probably the best AdoredTV video to date. But wait, he's not attacking any one? no, instead he is using a wafer calculator to predict success rate. Why is this so interesting? because not only does it show you how CPUs and GPUs are made (the core) but it also shows you why AMD can sell Ryzen so cheaply. And why things like Volta Titan cost a fortune (well, it doesn't say that specifically but you can do the maths..).

Just skip the video until he starts explaining the wafer calculator. It's incredibly interesting stuff.

EDIT TO ADD.

Well, now I understand why Volta Titan V is £3k. If the yields on a new node are not good they could only be getting , at worst, 4 dies. Now bear in mind that a wafter costs $8000 and yeah, do the math. That's $2000 per core. That doesn't include the card, cooler, PCB, back plate sockets, etc etc etc.

And this is why we will never see any of those gargantuan cores for gaming, IMO. The HBM adds hassle to it too.

So before you are quick to say the Titan V is a rip off (didn't we have a debate about it here? or was that somewhere else?) watch that video and you will begin to understand. This is also why we will not be seeing big Volta any time soon, because Nvidia need to refine the s**t out of the node before it actually becomes a cash making proposition. Until then? it's like those Super Cars where the people making them literally only get their money back, plus a half decent wage, but no profit.

Who do you think you are? running 'round leaving scars. Collecting your jar of hearts, tearing love apart. You're gonna catch a cold, from the ice inside your soul, so don't come back for me, don't come back at all.
Old 22-02-18, 03:34 PM
OC3D Crew

Does that $2k guess include the HBM or is it just the GPU die?
Old 22-02-18, 03:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
Does that $2k guess include the HBM or is it just the GPU die?
IDK. If the HBM is cut separately and then "glued" on then that is just the GPU die lol. The HBM would come from even more wafers. I just looked at it and it's very odd. There is a piece shaped like this..

Which if it was a separate piece you would lose lots of silicon down the edges and then it looks like this.

With the HBM "glued" on. IDK if there is a physical gap that you could, for example, feel with your nail so IDK if it's all one clump. But then saying that I also DK if HBM is fused in silicon. It sure looks like it is ('cause it ain't black traditional memory) but gawd knows.

Either way I can absolutely promise you that Titan V costs an utter fortune to make. Especially if that 8 grand per wafer is legit (I have never EVER seen Adored just make something up).

Early yields would be crud, and thus those cores are probably worth more than their size and weight in gold.

Old Today, 10:17 PM
OC3D Elite

GRR.

So after three months of messers I finally take a deposit on one of the bikes I had up for sale. Awesome, I thought. That is £300 for me to get my summer clothes with etc. Pay a taxi to come back (so the guy can collect and pay the balance) find a letter on the door mat.

£269 water bill, to be paid now. Couple in £30 in taxis and I am left with a grand total of £1.

I wouldn't mind, but that is one part of the water bill. The second part is £70.

Tags
box, chat, offtopic, small talk, where opinions go to die