Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-09-20, 10:41 AM
News Guru

Gigabyte product codenames confirmed 20GB RTX 3080 and 16GB RTX 3070 plans

Are high capacity RTX graphics cards on the horizon?

Read more about Gigabyte's planned 20GB RTX 3080 and 16GB RTX 3070 models.

Old 21-09-20, 11:23 AM

What?!?

Will future games need that much RAM?!? Games today need this much RAM!!

Play the Division 2 and it'll eat up more than 8gb on my 5700XT. That is if people knew what settings are and that they to past the coveted Ultra standard settings.

I'm getting a 24gb graphics card finally! And it's going to be epic!

People. Stop making click bait and being tards!!
Old 21-09-20, 11:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUDIEMOFO View Post
Will future games need that much RAM?!? Games today need this much RAM!!

Play the Division 2 and it'll eat up more than 8gb on my 5700XT. That is if people knew what settings are and that they to past the coveted Ultra standard settings.

I'm getting a 24gb graphics card finally! And it's going to be epic!

People. Stop making click bait and being tards!!
On what settings? mine doesnt go above 6gb in Div2.

every sentence in your post seems like you are just trolling. How old are you?
Old 21-09-20, 11:45 AM
OC3D Elite

I think some people are confusing "How much memory your graphics card claims to use" with how much graphics memory is actually being used to practically accelerate the performance, software tools cannot accurately tell you how much memory a game really requires at any given point, empty RAM is pointless RAM so most game engines will opportunistically fill any free VRAM with anything potentially useful in the future, and many game engines will be able to fill huge amounts of VRAM in a somewhat useful way, but that's not to say that without this the game would tank. Essentially my point is just that software tools for reporting VRAM are inherently inaccurate and shouldn't be used to predict your GPU purchasing options.

Of course though, VRAM needs are still going to grow quickly for a bit with the new consoles shifting the baseline, and that will be particularly large for those who want native 4K experiences (However on both consoles and PC this is likely to fall out of favour for ML upscaling approaches to get essentially visually indistinguishable (eventually) "fake 4K"). But to say 20GB is required by any game today I think is an overstatement; Most PC games will still have their max settings optimised for the 11GB RTX2080Ti, and with Amperes compression gains that's probably more or less matched by the current 3080 in effective VRAM capacity.

Essentially, I don't think it's a particularly underhand move for NVidia to release cards with the technology that's possible today (Cards based around 1Gb chips) rather than delaying the whole series until Micron had 2Gb chips ready, there's definitely a market for both configurations and the larger sizes are still going to be somewhat niche in PC (4K gaming seems to have fallen aside for 1440p high refresh rate).
Old 21-09-20, 12:00 PM
OC3D Elite

In addition, circumventing VRAM shortage is fairly trivial. Just drop texture quality - going from Ultra to High textures is barely noticeable in most titles. Though I'm not aware of any titles which would struggle with 10GB, even at 4K.
Old 21-09-20, 12:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
In addition, circumventing VRAM shortage is fairly trivial. Just drop texture quality - going from Ultra to High textures is barely noticeable in most titles. Though I'm not aware of any titles which would struggle with 10GB, even at 4K.
I know of 3 which is nothing given the pool of titles we have that are demanding at 4k.

Resident evil 2
FF15
Tomb raider SotTR
Old 21-09-20, 12:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
On what settings? mine doesnt go above 6gb in Div2.

every sentence in your post seems like you are just trolling. How old are you?
Yeah, I was thinking the same... Especially on their last sentence, were they talking about their own post? But I passed on saying anything. The person has posted similar, troll looking, posts before.
Old 21-09-20, 01:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I agree with you. I do. But do you know how offensive "drop the texture quality" sounds to the PCMR?

I'm not daft, but I have to say even though I don't agree with them they do have a solid point. Why would you pay so much for a PC GPU if you can't max everything out?

That's the sole reason most people game on a PC. Ignoring Esports of course.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 21-09-20, 01:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I agree with you. I do. But do you know how offensive "drop the texture quality" sounds to the PCMR?

I'm not daft, but I have to say even though I don't agree with them they do have a solid point. Why would you pay so much for a PC GPU if you can't max everything out?

That's the sole reason most people game on a PC. Ignoring Esports of course.
Graphical fidelity has always been 3rd in my list. For me frame smoothness will always be more enjoyable. Second reason is the title availability. All titles I play mostly, are not available anywhere else.
Old 21-09-20, 01:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Agreed with Warchild, with addition of responsiveness, which is very much tied to smoothness.

Flexible input methods are also a big deal for me. I don't want to be restricted to a controller, nor do I want to be at developers' mercy if they make bone-headed decisions with control binds.

The "PCMR" who refuse to drop settings for decent frame rates are suckers.