Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 22-02-17, 08:07 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,698
Australians will soon need to pay a 10% VAT on Steam

Australians will soon need to pay a 10% VAT on Steam, despite the fact that Steam still does not offer an AUD currency option.



Read more on Steam's incoming Australian GST Tax.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22-02-17, 08:22 AM
Greenback's Avatar
Greenback Greenback is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,223
Linlk just goes to a picture

wouldn't that just encourage the Aussies to get keys from cdkey sites rather than steam
__________________
CASE: NZXT H440 white
CPU: RYZEN7 3700x, H100i GTX
MB: Gigabyte x570
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
OS: CRUCIAL MX100 250GB
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22-02-17, 08:28 AM
Doomslayer Doomslayer is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,037
Well i guess people would look at GOG, I think GOG does Australian pricing i haven't check for a while.

Which means games will end up being too high, Games like Doom & Fallout 4 are like $79.99 atm (Yes i know Fallout 4 is on sale atm)

Were always getting screwed on products.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-02-17, 08:46 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,112
Just send the funds to a buddy in the UK, get him to gift you the game.

Me and my pal from the USA do this all the time.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-02-17, 08:49 AM
Emu Emu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Old School View Post
Well i guess people would look at GOG, I think GOG does Australian pricing i haven't check for a while.

Which means games will end up being too high, Games like Doom & Fallout 4 are like $79.99 atm (Yes i know Fallout 4 is on sale atm)
Civilisations VI - $69.95
Far Cry Primal - $45.95
Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim - $29.99
Just Cause 3 - $59.99
Watch Dogs 2 - $60.95
Ghostrecon Wildlands - $60.95

They are in USD so add another 30% on top of that.

These prices may sound pretty bad but when you consider pricing on other sources that do charge in AUD then it is pretty normal for us poor Aussies. On Origin, ME: Andromeda, BF1 and Titanfall 2 are $89.99 for the base game. On UPlay, Watch Dogs 2 is $79.95, For Honor is $99.95, Far Cry Primal $59.99. From EB Games, physical copies of ME: Andromeda, GR: Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2, COD:IW, TF2, Civ6 are all $89.99 (could probably go on for all AAA titles released in the past 12 months lol).

Things are even worse for those on consoles, I am pretty sure that BF1 was around $120-$150 for the XB1... :\
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-02-17, 08:51 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,698
Links have been fixed.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-02-17, 08:51 AM
SPS SPS is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Just send the funds to a buddy in the UK, get him to gift you the game.

Me and my pal from the USA do this all the time.
That completely depends on exchange rates being half decent.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-02-17, 08:55 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS View Post
That completely depends on exchange rates being half decent.
It does but it still works. Just recently I bought my mate RE7 for £22 and he ended up paying like $34, something like that. They want $60 for it out there.

And Steam? mostly the games are the same in $ as they are in £. So whatever I save I still save something, no matter how bad the exchange rate is.

Now we mostly use key sites, but there is one he cannot access. So if he ever needs one from there I get it and send him the key.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22-02-17, 08:57 AM
Doomslayer Doomslayer is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
Civilisations VI - $69.95
Far Cry Primal - $45.95
Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim - $29.99
Just Cause 3 - $59.99
Watch Dogs 2 - $60.95
Ghostrecon Wildlands - $60.95

They are in USD so add another 30% on top of that.

These prices may sound pretty bad but when you consider pricing on other sources that do charge in AUD then it is pretty normal for us poor Aussies. On Origin, ME: Andromeda, BF1 and Titanfall 2 are $89.99 for the base game. On UPlay, Watch Dogs 2 is $79.95, For Honor is $99.95, Far Cry Primal $59.99. From EB Games, physical copies of ME: Andromeda, GR: Wildlands, Watch Dogs 2, COD:IW, TF2, Civ6 are all $89.99 (could probably go on for all AAA titles released in the past 12 months lol).

Things are even worse for those on consoles, I am pretty sure that BF1 was around $120-$150 for the XB1... :\
Yep i know.

Software, Hardware it doesn't matter prices are a rip off.

The Australian exchange rate is utter crap now.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22-02-17, 09:15 AM
Excalabur50's Avatar
Excalabur50 Excalabur50 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,382
We Aussies are always taking it up the ............and they don't even use lube.
Getting tired of the Aussie tax TBH
__________________
DRAGON'S MIST
Coolermaster H500P White ARGB=AMD Ryzen 3700X=MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3200Mhz GSkill Flare X= Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro Plus=Coolermaster ML360R ARGB=MSI Optix MPG341CQR=MSI GK80 Vigor=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Roccat AIMO White=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with RBG strip=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Razer Firefly RGB CE=Soundblaster ZXR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.